World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat
You are not logged in.
FORUM RULES: (Updated 6-28-10)
Please register with with your real name. This will give your posts more credibility and enhance the sense of community. Anonymous registration is frowned upon.
Don't rush in
There is no need to rush into active involvement on the forum. The time spent reading the various forum announcements and discussions will give you a feel for the community and its members interactions with each other. This can help alleviate the sense of anonymity which can lead a newbie to post something they later regret. Always "search" the forum before posting. Your efforts to follow guidelines and established practices will be noticed, appreciated and lead to your rapid acceptance within the community.
Respect other forum members
When posting to the forum, please be nice. Respectful, civil interaction and debate keeps us closer to the original purpose of a forum. Take the high road. Be kind to newcomers. If they ask questions that seem obvious, (or whose answers seem easy to find) give them a break. Many valued contributors started out this way. Treating newcomers kindly makes them more likely to turn into the valuable community members we all know and love.
These should never intrude on forum discussions or topics. These include personal attacks, business grievances, flame wars, etc. Heated debate or exchange between individuals should be handled privately. Please do not respond to posts of this nature. Even if your intentions are good, threads of this type only drag out the drama, and that's not an option here.
Put up an avatar when you join the forum. If you don't you will be given a temporary avatar until you get one together.
Avoid using the forum as a blog. This includes rambling, excessively personal posts, adding too many photographs, or repetitive posts which turn your thread into a personal, continuous storyline. Please establish a personal blog using an alternative bandwidth. Some members have created very insightful blogs in this manner.
"I agree" and "LOL" Posts
Avoid the temptation for "I agree" and "LOL" posts. It's fine that you agree or that you have "LOL'd", but it's rare that pointing this out publicly adds anything to the discussion. New information is always welcome; cheer leading simply leads to more cheer leading and clogs what might otherwise be an interesting thread.
Finally, It isn't a democracy
While we care very much about what the members here like/dislike, please remember that the administrators have the final say. This is not a democracy, it is a benevolent dictatorship. We take this responsibility seriously. We work very hard to make this forum enjoyable and informative for as many people as we can, but it's impossible for us to please everyone about everything all the time. If we do something that you don't particularly like, please remember that all our decisions are carefully made based on what we feel contributes most to the greater good of the forum and ultimately the shakuhachi.
* We require all posts to be constructive, and on topic. We may delete individual posts that could ruin a good topic thread.
* We reserve the right to remove any topics we deem inappropriate or disruptive to our community. Please note that, from time to time, topics may be removed for being inappropriate even though your individual post in that topic may have been perfectly fine. Please do not feel this reflects badly on you.
* We reserve the right to remove any posts and/or topics that could cause unrest in the community beyond a civil and polite disagreement.
* You may not make personal attacks on other users. No personal hidden agendas. Posts of this nature will be deleted.
* Users may not argue an administrators decision publicly. These posts will be deleted. Flaming a moderator or administrator will result in an immediate ban. If you wish to discuss a decision please contact the administration privately in a courteous, succinct manner. When doing so, please keep in mind that we thoroughly argue all sides of an issue before making a decision.
* We reserve the right to ban any member who violates our guidelines or disrupts our community. We will be fair and provide warning in most cases. Consequences will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Moderators who disrupt the forum will be downgraded to member status or banned.
* Always remember that the forum is a social gathering. Treat others with the same politeness and respect you would at a backyard barbecue.