World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2007-02-01 04:01:17

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Hello!

A good player might sound good on a plastic shakuhachi or plastic alto as you mentioned but he/she can also tell what he's playing while he's playing it. Beyond telling the difference between plastic and bamboo a good player can differentiate between types and vintages of bamboo. The "empty space" theory doesn't hold up, especially once you get into jinashi because there's no way to duplicate that with any other material. "Empty space" theoreticians tell you that if a hunk of aluminum or plastic imitated the interior dimensions of a jinashi flute it would sound and feel the same. That's like when they call gluten "mock duck" or "soy meat". It's not duck and it's not meat. All you have to do is eat it to tell the difference. If Michael Gould sounds good on a plastic flute that's because he's a great player. But when he plays the flute he's not conning himself into thinking it's bamboo.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#27 2007-02-01 05:50:27

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku wrote:

The "empty space" theory doesn't hold up, especially once you get into jinashi because there's no way to duplicate that with any other material.

What do you think of plastic utaguchi's? I guess it's duplicating the water buffalo horn material, but it still seems suspect to me.

Tairaku wrote:

"Empty space" theoreticians tell you that if a hunk of aluminum or plastic imitated the interior dimensions of a jinashi flute it would sound and feel the same.

With silver concert flute the argument gets even more difficult. There the empty space is pretty darn easy to duplicate with cheap nickle silver. I wonder if the great players of those can tell the difference like you say is most likely with the plastic shakuhachi and saxes. If so, it supports the theory that plastic utaguchi's aren't a good idea.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#28 2007-02-01 09:03:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

The "empty space" theory doesn't hold up, especially once you get into jinashi because there's no way to duplicate that with any other material.

What do you think of plastic utaguchi's? I guess it's duplicating the water buffalo horn material, but it still seems suspect to me.

Tairaku wrote:

"Empty space" theoreticians tell you that if a hunk of aluminum or plastic imitated the interior dimensions of a jinashi flute it would sound and feel the same.

With silver concert flute the argument gets even more difficult. There the empty space is pretty darn easy to duplicate with cheap nickle silver. I wonder if the great players of those can tell the difference like you say is most likely with the plastic shakuhachi and saxes. If so, it supports the theory that plastic utaguchi's aren't a good idea.

I like flutes with no utaguchi inlay, it is unnecessary. But I have enjoyed playing ivory, water buffalo and synthetic utaguchi inlays. I can't tell the difference sonically. My preference is ivory.

I have played cornetti of both wood and composite material which were the original and the exact reproduction and you can tell the difference in sound. Material does matter.

I do think some of the plastic shakuhachi type instruments have their place and are superior musically to a lot of bad bamboo shakuhachi. But nothing is as good as a fine bamboo shakuhachi.

#29 2007-02-01 14:29:26

baian

#30 2007-02-01 16:30:52

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks baian for the link. They don't mention what kind of flute they made. Probably not a shakuhahachi. And they don't (and can't) describe the difference in playing a concrete flute versus a wood flute, just the way it sounds to the people who are not playing it.

I would be interested in something more concrete (pun intended) like for example measuring the body functions of someone playing a plastic shakuhachi for 2 hours and then doing the same for someone playing a fine jinashi shakuhachi. That would be illuminating.

People have been spending thousands of man hours over the course of several centuries trying to duplicate the Stradivarius violin. But the pros still prefer the real thing. It can't all be hype.

#31 2007-02-01 17:38:20

edosan
Edomologist

Actually, lately (past 10-15 years or so) 'they've' done a pretty good job of rivaling the Strad. As a guitarmaker, I used to hang with some master luthiers (violin builders/repairers), and they said the breakthrough came when they did a bunch of MRI's and similar scans on the great old ones and found out that the major variable was assymmetry in the top and back plates. Duplicate that and get the finish right, and you're in business. There are world-class violinists and quartets buying newly built instruments now ('course, most of the wood is very old...).

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#32 2007-02-01 18:27:27

nSkky

Tairaku wrote:

People have been spending thousands of man hours over the course of several centuries trying to duplicate the Stradivarius violin. But the pros still prefer the real thing. It can't all be hype.

A violin is an chordophone which means the sound comes from the vibrating strings and sound board. Material makes a big difference in chordophones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordophone

A shakuhachi is an aerophone which means the sound comes from vibrating air in an enclosed space. So the sound is based on the shape of the air.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerophone

You’ve confused two entirely different physical/musical systems.

Tairaku wrote:

I would be interested in something more concrete (pun intended) like for example measuring the body functions of someone playing a plastic shakuhachi for 2 hours and then doing the same for someone playing a fine jinashi shakuhachi. That would be illuminating.

Again you’re confusing systems. Acousticians are referring to auditory perception and you’re talking about tactile stimuli (thermal conductivity, density, weight, hardness and so on).

Yes, different materials FEEL different, the question is whether they produce different SOUNDS in aerophones. Selecting just for tactile qualities, I’m not sure bamboo rates very high as I’m not aware of a circumstance where it was chosen over other tactile materials.

However, I do like your Coltrane quote and his attention to intention.

Nick

Dreams construct the world. --Heyoka

#33 2007-02-01 19:09:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I know the difference between aerophones and chordophones because I have performed literally thousands of times on each. Because I play them I know for a fact that the materials of each are important in determining the sound. I rely upon my experience as a musician, not theory.

I would really like to play a synthetic shakuhachi that's as nice as a bamboo one, problem is you can't play a theory. I play real instruments that exist in the material world. If you could make music just by thinking about it, then we wouldn't need any instruments.

Okuda Atsuya can accurately tell you whether a shakuhachi is totally jinashi or if it has a spot of ji (I am not talking about totally jiari, just a dab) by playing it. If it was all about the empty space he wouldn't be able to do that.

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many shakuhachi players intent on denying one of its defining factors, that of bamboo. Bamboo has a lot of power and energy in it. The maker and player allow the bamboo to fulfill its potential and vice versa.

#34 2007-02-01 19:50:01

nSkky

Tairaku wrote:

I would really like to play a synthetic shakuhachi that's as nice as a bamboo one, problem is you can't play a theory.

If you’d pay the same amount for a good synthetic as you do for a good bamboo, I suspect you’d have plenty to choose from. At current prices of around $100 nobody puts too much effort into synthetics.

Tairaku wrote:

Okuda Atsuya can accurately tell you whether a shakuhachi is totally jinashi or if it has a spot of ji (I am not talking about totally jiari, just a dab) by playing it.

Lacking a fair double-blind experiment you should probably capture him and rent him out as a psychic.

Tairaku wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many shakuhachi players intent on denying one of its defining factors, that of bamboo.

Nice bamboo flutes are pretty nifty, no doubt about it. But the shakuhachi is spreading westward and worldwide and with that spread will come difference in taste, preference, and understanding. The non-Japanese player who will take the shakuhachi to the next level has yet to appear. But when he/she does things will move fast.

Nick

#35 2007-02-01 20:07:57

Josh
PhD
Website

Nick,
You said,
"But the shakuhachi is spreading westward and worldwide and with that spread will come difference in taste, preference, and understanding. The non-Japanese player who will take the shakuhachi to the next level has yet to appear. But when he/she does things will move fast." 

What do you mean they have yet to appear? Riley Lee's technique rivals anyones, listen to Tairaku's CD and you'll see he is taking the music to, not the next but another, level.  By using the word next you are implying that there is something wrong or unsatisfactory with the current or the past levels.
The difference in taste etc. is everywhere, both currently in Japan and abroad. But I highly doubt that a steel, silver, or plastic manufactured  replication is going to replace the bamboo. The plastic flute is good as a starter but it is standardized. Every bamboo is unique and every voice is unique, this combination is where the beauty, complexity, and uniqueness of the shakuhachi resides. Why the hell would anyone want to change this?

Okuda Atsuya's ear are trained, this has nothing to do with psychic abilities. If you play a jinashi long enough, and in his case probably thousands of hours, your ears could probably easily determine a sound you are used to, jinashi, or not, jiari.
Chikuzen Gould sounds great on a Yuu because he is a great player. And he sounds even greater on good jinashi, no getting around that.

I agree with Tairaku, can't we just all get along, with the bamboo:)

-Josh

#36 2007-02-01 20:21:32

PSTL

I'm thinking that one might want to look past the scientific and consider the spiritual connection associated with this topic.
An artist poors his or her soul into the art. The art, in this case, has an energetic history all it's own, and it's associated with the bamboo (another life force). It's like, you listen to some performers and they can deliver a flawless performance but lack soul. The music doesn't move you. We've all heard it! It's your basic elevator music. You take the same tune performed by someone who's soul is attached to the art and it's magic. It's all about energy! The shakuhachi has many years of energy surrounding it and it's accessible energy.

Personally, I find the bamboo to resonate and comfort me quite differently than the Yuu and Maple shakuhachi's that I own. There is a difference, for me.

It's also quite possible that we all are drawn to the shakuhachi as a result of a past life experience with the instrument. When I first heard the shakuhachi at age 49, it was like I had discovered a memory. Hmmm!

Peace. cool

#37 2007-02-01 20:27:11

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

I rely upon my experience as a musician, not theory.

Take a deep breath, and try to consider the above statement (and my response) dispassionately.

Do you recognize the parallels to the "My religion overrides your science," argument? Musicians and acousticians are interested in sound, but their interests overlap very little. Acoustics deals with measurable physical phenomena. Those physical vibrations are merely raw material for a musician; music is about emotional and spiritual vibrations that don't exist in acoustics.

Give me a choice of listening to Brian play or measuring graphed wave forms--my preference for the music might well approach religious fervor. That doesn't mean I think the science is wrong, it just means that it is less important to me.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#38 2007-02-01 20:45:35

Jason

Physics is simply a rationalizing, quantifying science which attempts to explain all things in it's own limited terms. Anything it can't prove or disprove is either thrown out as subjective or attributed to human error. Bamboo and many other organic materials have a feeling of just being 'alive'. Just because you can't explain it in mathematical terms doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong, physics has been very helpful in figuring out some mysteries of many instruments over the years...but I feel the majority of opinions on this subject regarding the progression and improvement of the shakuchachi through science is nothing more than western arrogance.

#39 2007-02-01 20:50:11

LorrieinAZ
Website

PSTL wrote:

You take the same tune performed by someone who's soul is attached to the art and it's magic. It's all about energy!

This is true with any musician on any instrument.  Technique by itself is without soul.  I like to play very long phrases on the Native American Flute. An Easterner I once met told me the sound reminded him of the Shakuhachi - hence my interest now in pursuing this instrument and this sound. I am also quite aware of my intent and what energy I am bringing to the art - Breath is Life as they say...

Lorrie
Healing Soundscapes Inspired by the Sonoran Desert
http://www.lizarddanceproductions.com

#40 2007-02-01 21:29:40

nSkky

Josh wrote:

What do you mean they have yet to appear?

Check the top twenty at iTunes. Check Walmart for Shakuhachi music. For that matter, see if Walmart is selling shakuhachi. Make up your own test for degrees of cultural awareness.

Josh wrote:

By using the word next you are implying that there is something wrong or unsatisfactory with the current or the past levels.

By using the word 'next' I'm implying impermanence.

Josh wrote:

I agree with Tairaku, can't we just all get along, with the bamboo:)

I don't know if we could, but we won't.  Clinging is unattractive to Buddhists.

Nick

#41 2007-02-01 21:37:34

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

nSkky wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I would really like to play a synthetic shakuhachi that's as nice as a bamboo one, problem is you can't play a theory.

If you’d pay the same amount for a good synthetic as you do for a good bamboo, I suspect you’d have plenty to choose from. At current prices of around $100 nobody puts too much effort into synthetics.

Tairaku wrote:

Okuda Atsuya can accurately tell you whether a shakuhachi is totally jinashi or if it has a spot of ji (I am not talking about totally jiari, just a dab) by playing it.

Lacking a fair double-blind experiment you should probably capture him and rent him out as a psychic.

Tairaku wrote:

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many shakuhachi players intent on denying one of its defining factors, that of bamboo.

Nice bamboo flutes are pretty nifty, no doubt about it. But the shakuhachi is spreading westward and worldwide and with that spread will come difference in taste, preference, and understanding. The non-Japanese player who will take the shakuhachi to the next level has yet to appear. But when he/she does things will move fast.

Nick

As Brian says, as a performer, i am anxiously awaiting for those who believe this theory to produce an exceptional flute out of different materials than bamboo. I realize this would not exactly be good for business as the price would probably have to drop smile
There are decent shakuhachi made of wood and plastic but certainly not exceptional ones.  And i also agree that it feels different to hold and breath with different materials!
For those who make shakuhachi out of wood (zen-on for example) or plastic (yuu), it would be logical for them to prove this theory and certainly in their business interests. I cant believe the reason they do not make exceptional flutes is because they cannot find a better bore shape to mass produce. 

I know this is an endless arguement and i have had long discussions with shakuhachi makers who i greatly respect who truly believe this theory.

I believe some non Japanese players are bringing the shakuhachi to the next level. John Neptune's playing technique and flute making is certainly innovative though, of course not to everyone's tastes. Riley Lee's playing is on a truly exceptional level!

Many of us non-Japanese are involved in creating new repetoire and ensemble combinations for shakuhachi, unlike what you find in Japan. Besides Natto, i am still looking for another shakuhachi/koto/piano/computer quartet...

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#42 2007-02-01 21:49:02

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

"Check Walmart for Shakuhachi music. For that matter, see if Walmart is selling shakuhachi."

sheesh, i almost lost a cup of really good gyokuro to my laptop screen after reading that line. LOL

"one world/one mall" is not exactly my standard for seeing if any of us non japanese shakuhachi players have credibility smile

phil (i really should trademark the one world/one mall term!)

Philip Gelb
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#43 2007-02-01 22:34:33

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

rpowers wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

I rely upon my experience as a musician, not theory.

Take a deep breath, and try to consider the above statement (and my response) dispassionately.

Do you recognize the parallels to the "My religion overrides your science," argument? Musicians and acousticians are interested in sound, but their interests overlap very little. Acoustics deals with measurable physical phenomena. Those physical vibrations are merely raw material for a musician; music is about emotional and spiritual vibrations that don't exist in acoustics.

My wife is a famous scientist, so we frequently find ourselves on the "science" side of these kinds of arguments. I don't think it's an article of faith that I prefer bamboo flutes. I am open minded and I've spent many hours playing wood, plastic, cactus, glass shakuhachi. They simply lack depth and you can't play them very long before running into their limitations.

#44 2007-02-01 22:49:19

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nSkky wrote:

Nice bamboo flutes are pretty nifty, no doubt about it. But the shakuhachi is spreading westward and worldwide and with that spread will come difference in taste, preference, and understanding. The non-Japanese player who will take the shakuhachi to the next level has yet to appear. But when he/she does things will move fast.Nick

Truly a bizarre statement. Have you ever heard of John Neptune? He took the shakuhachi to the "next" level 30 years ago and he's still a voice in the wilderness for several reasons. One of them is that things don't "move fast" in the shakuhachi world. I disagree with the term "next" which is why I used quotations there. Music and art are not linear. They move in all directions. For example Picasso and others invented modern art by studying some of the most ancient art on the planet. In the shakuhachi world Watazumi is the most radical musician (although he disavowed that term) at the same time that he used some of the simplest and most retro flutes around. In fact much of the most interesting thinking in the shakuhachi world today involves jinashi flutes, which would appear to be atavistic but simultaneously are on the cutting edge.

There are plenty of Western shakuhachi players who are doing things nobody in Japan has thought of doing, or doing it in a different way. To suggest otherwise is condescending at best or ignorant at worst. There are political reasons for the slow progress of Western shakuhachi. For one thing there is a degree of racism (in Japan) and reverse racism (in the West) which cast the accomplishments of Western players in doubt. One of the best Western shakuhachi players told me that he has lost gigs to inferior Japanese players (in the West) because the promoter wanted someone who "looked authentic". This has nothing to do with whether or not a Western player is going to come along and revolutionize things by playing synthetic flutes. It's totally out of our control.

#45 2007-02-02 00:17:33

rpowers

Tairaku wrote:

My wife is a famous scientist, so we frequently find ourselves on the "science" side of these kinds of arguments. I don't think it's an article of faith that I prefer bamboo flutes.

I am willing to back off from using the term "religious." It could have been a hot button, and I'm glad it wasn't taken that way. It  reflects my feeling that music can actually deliver what religion only promises (I'm gonna get myself flamed yet).

Your years of experience as a musician include all kinds of mystical (i.e. non-quantifiable) responses to the sounds produced by the physical instrument. No one claimed that the player behind the curtain preferred playing a concrete flute.

Topics for discussion:
Is the Yuu a less worthy musical instrument than, oh . . . let's say a shoestring?
Does the quality of an instrument's crafting (or manufacture) have any effect on your sincerity when you play it?

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#46 2007-02-02 00:18:48

nSkky

Tairaku wrote:

Truly a bizarre statement. Have you ever heard of John Neptune?

Yes-- you, me and 12 other people. You keep talking about ‘the shakuhachi world’. I’m talking about the person who will produce something that will have legs enough to make it outside ‘the shakuhachi world’ box--the person who will have the first million seller shakuhachi sound.

Tairaku wrote:

One of them is that things don't "move fast" in the shakuhachi world.

Yep, most artists don’t figure out, until too late in their career, that things move slowly in whatever box they’re in. They never figure out that the first (and perhaps only) step is to get out of the box.  Play to the box, stay in the box.

Tairaku wrote:

It's totally out of our control.

Originality usually is.

Nick

#47 2007-02-02 00:32:43

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

nSkky wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Yes-- you, me and 12 other people. You keep talking about ‘the shakuhachi world’. I’m talking about the person who will produce something that will have legs enough to make it outside ‘the shakuhachi world’ box--the person who will have the first million seller shakuhachi sound.

Tairaku wrote:

Yep, most artists don’t figure out, until too late in their career, that things move slowly in whatever box they’re in. They never figure out that the first (and perhaps only) step is to get out of the box.  Play to the box, stay in the box.

Tairaku wrote:

Originality usually is.

Nick

You seem to be confusing commercial success with artistic achievement. They rarely have anything to do with each other.
Kenny G sold more Cds than any other person who play soprano saxophone. John Coltrane, Steve Lacy, Evan Parker, and Lol Coxhill are truly the innovative soprano players out there. Kenny g never innovated anything and simply plays licks he memorized and plugs them in. Yet he has a marketing campaign that gets him into walmart (very appropriate place for such sterile sounds!) and this campaign literally forces the planet to know his music and hear his awful, nasal sound.
Marketing and music are 2 very different things.

phil

Philip Gelb
Oakland, CA

#48 2007-02-02 00:45:36

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

nSkky wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

Originality usually is.

Nick

Well as probably the only person on this forum who has sold millions of records, I can tell you that there's a lot more to music than that. That's why I started with shakuhachi, to get back in touch with the deeper aspects of music.

I've got a question, have you ever listened to the music of any of the people on this forum who have issued CD's? Because a lot of them are original and out of the box. You don't seem to know that. You're ascribing conservative values to people who are not.

#49 2007-02-02 00:48:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

philipgelb wrote:

Kenny G sold more Cds than any other person who play soprano saxophone. John Coltrane, Steve Lacy, Evan Parker, and Lol Coxhill are truly the innovative soprano players out there. Kenny g never innovated anything and simply plays licks he memorized and plugs them in. Yet he has a marketing campaign that gets him into walmart (very appropriate place for such sterile sounds!) and this campaign literally forces the planet to know his music and hear his awful, nasal sound.
Marketing and music are 2 very different things.

phil

Hey Phil, lay off Kenny G. I always defend him because at least he is getting the masses to listen to instrumental music. Still like Steve Lacy better!

#50 2007-02-02 01:05:39

nSkky

philipgelb wrote:

You seem to be confusing commercial success with artistic achievement.

I don't know why this is so hard. I'm saying that things only change when they change. You only know the names John Coltrane, Steve Lacy, Evan Parker, and Lol Coxhill because these people changed something.

Right now you couldn't give away shakuhachi CDs outside of what Brian calls 'the shakuhachi world'. Do you imagine that market is larger than about 5K? In Time, some non-Japanese will step out of the Shakuhachi Box to a larger world, a larger market, a larger audience--let's say 100K. Then we can all stone them and call them unartistic sellouts.

Here's the deal Phil, you sell CDs, in your mind who do you want to hear your CD and be blown away, John Neptune or a mall rat in Omaha? Your personal answer to this question will probably set the bounds of your sales. So what I'm saying is even before the CD was recorded, the Box you hoped to impress and gain credibility within set the bounds of your sales.

If you're happy with your sales then why worry if somebody sells a bizillion copies?

Nick

Board footer