Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-12-30 19:35:42

amokrun

Weather-resistant shakuhachi - what to buy?

I'm looking to buy a secondary shakuhachi for travelling and such. Since we get this crazy weather around here, I want something that absolutely certainly will not do anything funny like blow up for fun. As such, I'd like to get your opinion.

As far as I see it, my options are:

1. Shakuhachi made from steel/metal/somesuch. These are sold by Sigwada right here on the forums. Very affordable, quite durable enough and apparently plays quite well. Last time I asked, he said that he could make longer ones as well.
2. Wooden shakuhachi. Seems like few makes do these and the prices are low enough, especially for used flutes. As far as I know, these resist weather effects much better than bamboo but not as well as steel would.
3. Plastic shakuhachi. These are most likely easiest to play but sound the "worst", however you define that. At least that's what I've been told. I never actually tried one. These should live through some beating just fine. Unfortunately these seem to only come in small sizes (never seen 2.0+).

I would prefer something over 2.4 which may limit my choices a bit. Do you know of any choices that I missed? Which one would you go with in my case? Does anyone have any spare flutes around that fit this description that you could consider selling?

Thank you for all the help in advance. Let me know if I wasn't clear enough in something.

#2 2006-12-30 19:56:04

waryr

Re: Weather-resistant shakuhachi - what to buy?

amokrun wrote:

I'm looking to buy a secondary shakuhachi for travelling and such. Since we get this crazy weather around here, I want something that absolutely certainly will not do anything funny like blow up for fun. As such, I'd like to get your opinion.

3. Plastic shakuhachi. These are most likely easiest to play but sound the "worst", however you define that. At least that's what I've been told. I never actually tried one. These should live through some beating just fine. Unfortunately these seem to only come in small sizes (never seen 2.0+).

I would prefer something over 2.4 which may limit my choices a bit. Do you know of any choices that I missed? Which one would you go with in my case? Does anyone have any spare flutes around that fit this description that you could consider selling?

Thank you for all the help in advance. Let me know if I wasn't clear enough in something.

There are several makers of PVC Shakuhachi that make the 2.4 quite well, Peter Ross and Monty Levenson to name a couple. I have seen them made up to 2.7 and 3.0. I have played 2.0 and 2.4 PVC shakuhachi and they play very well. You might try one of these.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

#3 2006-12-30 22:39:41

dstone
Website

Hi amokrun.  I hear what you're saying. A plastic flute in the hand is worth two bamboo flutes in humid storage.

I think you need more criteria to make the decision.  Do you have any visual or material/philosophical preference?  Your three options are so much more different visually and physically than they will be acoustically that a preference could make your decision for you.  Density, thickness, heat conductivity, environmental impact?  Important?  I have a maple 1.8 and PVC 1.8 and both sound just fine, no better or worse than the other.

Alternatively, why not try your hand at building a PVC flute?  Nearly free.  Even if you don't play it and settle on a wood or metal flute or someone else's PVC flute, the time will not have been wasted.  This way, you can customize the length and finger offsets for yourself.  Build instructions and the theory of PVC flutes are plentiful.

Metal is the most unique choice.  If you could get a wide diameter, long metal flute that plays well into dai kan, that would be interesting.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2006-12-31 09:34:37

amokrun

dstone wrote:

I think you need more criteria to make the decision.  Do you have any visual or material/philosophical preference?

In some way I find that there are bamboo flutes and then there are flutes that aren't made out of bamboo. Of course, Some people have demonstrated that you can indeed make beautiful instruments from the materials listed above. Sigwada's metal flutes are indeed quite pretty and don't look nearly as plain as I thought first when I heard about the idea. That said, I greatly enjoy the appearance of a flute. Someone can scream that outward appearance is not Zen until they turn red - I feel that a beautiful instrument makes playing more enjoyable as well.

dstone wrote:

Density, thickness, heat conductivity, environmental impact?  Important?  I have a maple 1.8 and PVC 1.8 and both sound just fine, no better or worse than the other.

Funny that you happened to mention this. Since I got a wide bore 2.5, small and thin flutes have felt somehow strange. That is a slight problem with non-bamboo flutes since they almost always are very thin, even the long ones. Something like 3.0 flute that is as thin as 1.8 would seem really strange. Most of those materials, save for wood, usually come in rather thin pipes and have thin walls. Although it's not a deal-breaker, I would love a thicker and wider instrument over a thin one.

By the way, I tried a 1.8 maple flute once. It was almost eerie to play because it played so perfectly. Normally I can play about half of Kan fine and occasionally few notes from the upper half as well. With the maple flute, I had to pick up the fingering chart that came with it to look for Dai Kan fingerings since I had never had the opportunity to even try them.

dstone wrote:

Alternatively, why not try your hand at building a PVC flute?  Nearly free.  Even if you don't play it and settle on a wood or metal flute or someone else's PVC flute, the time will not have been wasted.  This way, you can customize the length and finger offsets for yourself.  Build instructions and the theory of PVC flutes are plentiful.

I tried a few times. Believe it or not, I had quite a lot of trouble finding even basic pipe around here. I visited some huge hardware stores and such. You could buy a log cabin (!!) from a shelf (!!) but you could not buy basic hard plastic pipe anywhere. I have a few leads that I'll follow soon enough. I've been planning to make one of these mostly to use as a gauge for testing really large flutes to see what still works for me. Then I can again bug Mujitsu for another flute, but that's another story entirely ... :-)

dstone wrote:

Metal is the most unique choice.  If you could get a wide diameter, long metal flute that plays well into dai kan, that would be interesting.

Ayup. I found metal to look quite nice despite originally thinking that it could not work. Give me a wide bore metal flute that is around the size of my 2.5 as far as bore goes and I'll be the first person buying a stack of these. Heck, I don't even care about anything past good-enough Kan notes.

#5 2006-12-31 09:38:08

amokrun

waryr wrote:

There are several makers of PVC Shakuhachi that make the 2.4 quite well, Peter Ross and Monty Levenson to name a couple. I have seen them made up to 2.7 and 3.0. I have played 2.0 and 2.4 PVC shakuhachi and they play very well. You might try one of these.

Are those long plastic flutes very thin? That's the only thing that bugs me about plastic flutes. A 3.0 flute that is as thin as 1.8 flute just doesn't feel right if you ask me. Now, if you do know where to get wider plastic flutes, that could indeed be very interesting. I don't generally have anything against the material itself. In fact, I was thinking that a yuu could turn out very, very nice if you'd apply a bit of paint into the root end to make it look a bit more natural. I used to paint miniatures back when I was a kid (more so than now, anyway). You can really make things look nice by painting the deep spots darker. If I find a yuu for sale for cheap, I will most likely try that out. Too bad there aren't "large yuu" flutes.

#6 2006-12-31 10:02:31

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

The Yuu is the best of these things because it has the tapered bore which most closely simulates that of a real shakuhachi.

But if you want something long both Perry Yung and Ken LaCosse have made nice 2.8's, 2.4's and so on for me which I enjoy blowing on the beach or in rough circumstances. And the bore is not thin. In fact Ken was talking to me the other day about making a PVC Taimu style flute. Either of those guys (and others too I'm sure) could make you a long wide bore PVC shakuhachi.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2006-12-31 10:17:34

amokrun

Tairaku wrote:

The Yuu is the best of these things because it has the tapered bore which most closely simulates that of a real shakuhachi.

Agreed. Furthermore, it actually looks like a shakuhachi which is always nice. Like I said earlier, a little bit of paint would make it even more lovely and could actually give it the appearance of "real" bamboo or something close enough.

Tairaku wrote:

And the bore is not thin.

Oh? How large are these things? Somehow the pictures always looked like they would be hardly any larger than your average 1.8. Given how my 1.8 almost fits into my 2.5...

Tairaku wrote:

In fact Ken was talking to me the other day about making a PVC Taimu style flute.

You are not kidding me, right? Now *that* is something I want to try out. I bought a non-Taimu flute from him and it completely changed playing shakuhachi for me. If he is making something out of plastic that follows the general idea of Taimu (or his other flutes, for that matter), I don't see how it could not be good. The downside is that he will almost certainly kill me if I send him any more e-mail. :-)

#8 2006-12-31 16:14:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

amokrun wrote:

You are not kidding me, right?

No he was seriously talking about it. Drop him a line. He wants to use it as an inexpensive gateway to the bamboo Taimu flutes.

#9 2007-01-02 15:30:33

amokrun

sigwada wrote:

1. I have tried thicker walled metal but have found them heavy.

Heh, the moment I read that I began to think of a flute made out of cast metal. Technically you could get any kind of shape you like as long as you have a mold for it. Weights a ton? Sure. Looks absolutely lovely? Most certainly.

In my eyes, weight is not a downside at all. In fact, I might actually prefer a really heavy flute over a light one. For longer flutes, I tend to hold the end on ground or against my knee and thus I don't have to support most of the weight. This could be just me but I think that a flute made in similar way as most of those really large bells are made could be lovely. Apart from just looking nice, it could be very useful for a form of practice I do occasionally. Basically you just tie a rope to the end of the flute and put a bell on it. Make it so long that lowering the flute even slightly will cause it to hit the floor and make a sound. Now you will instantly know when your position is falling apart. At least I have trouble telling if my position gradually drops otherwise.

sigwada wrote:

Thin bores are also nice to hold and easier to pack and carry around.

I guess this is a personal preference. For some reason, I find that playing a wide flute feels more "right" than a thin one does. Also, if I would get a lovely cast-iron flute that would weight, say, 20kg, I wouldn't mind carrying it around if I really liked it.

sigwada wrote:

I have emailed you but seems did not reach you. I mentioned  that the distance between us may have prohibitive cost and  instead I could give you free tips on how you can make your own metal shakuhachi. But otherwise I would gratefully make you one including a wider 24mm bore. See You Tube where I play on a 2.4 Shakusteel.

I did get the e-mail and was going to reply. Sadly I got distracted by something else and completely forgot about it. My apologies about that. I'll have to check the video, that sounds quite interesting.

#10 2007-02-19 15:07:37

Bruce
Website

Two kinds of flutes to consider if you're looking for something "weatherproof"

1.  I have a laminated bamboo 2.0 that I bought at the old Tokiwagaki shop in Ueno.  These are more authentic looking versions of the lathe turned maple flutes, with a curve and a "root end" to them.  They have the feel and weight of a ji-nashi bamboo flute, and are completely impervious to weather.   As I recall, I payed around $350 for this (when the yen was ~130 to the USD).

I think you can order these from Mejiro.

2. I also have a David Brown 3.0 that is equally unconcerned about changes in humidity and temperature.  It was more than twice the price of the laminated bamboo instrument (and a whole shaku longer :-).   I live in San Diego, and this instrument lives on a clarinet stand in my office so I can pick it up while I'm waiting for code to compile, or for someone to post something interesting on the shakuhachi forum.

David's website seems to be doing its frequent disappearing act, but if anyone is interested, I have an email contact that I used to reach him a while back.

Everything is perfect, it just needs a little improvement.
        - Suzuki Roshi

#11 2007-02-19 22:52:48

edosan
Edomologist

For the record, David Brown does not make 'big bore' shakuhachi; his have a high aspect ratio.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#12 2007-02-20 13:57:25

kyoreiflutes
Website

I must say I do find this "debate" interesting, as the Yuu is the ONLY non-bamboo flute around that actually simulates the internal shape/acoustics of a bamboo flute. PVC doesn't have it: it's more like a hocchiku than a "tuned" flute. Nothing wrong with that, but if you want something that simulates a tuned, concert-style 1.8 and will absolutely last in ANY environment, the Yuu is the way to go. I miss mine, and would love to have another again. In fact, I'd be really happy to have a larger, Taimu-like cast flute like the Yuu, just so I can carry it around in my bag. Ever try carrying a 2.4 or bigger around? wink

Metal flutes in a cold environment? Maybe not a good idea. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to try going through an American airport with a large metal pipe. No offense to metal flutes, I'm sure they're great and have cool, interesting overtones, but as a go-anywhere flute, lightweight, dense fiber plastic is the way to go.

And I always had to tell people it wasn't bamboo, although it never fooled my eyes. In fact, the material used in the Yuu has a little bit of a bamboo feel to it, with just a little bit of pour-osity.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#13 2007-02-20 17:05:18

dstone
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

the Yuu is the ONLY non-bamboo flute around that actually simulates the internal shape/acoustics of a bamboo flute

David Brown (and other makers of wood shakuhachi) might disagree with you on that point.  wink

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#14 2007-02-20 18:36:00

kyoreiflutes
Website

Well, you're right. But I wonder how well one can shape the inside of the bore on a lathe? I assume that's how they'd shape the inside, and that it's easiest to just do more of a straight bore. But I'm not that up on all the latest in lathe tech.

Again, not that there's anything wrong with straight-bore flutes. I make 'em myself. wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#15 2007-02-20 19:18:50

edosan
Edomologist

David Brown's flutes have tapered bores, in fact, most of the turned wooden flutes now available have tapered bores.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#16 2007-02-20 19:49:49

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

dstone wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

the Yuu is the ONLY non-bamboo flute around that actually simulates the internal shape/acoustics of a bamboo flute

David Brown (and other makers of wood shakuhachi) might disagree with you on that point.  wink

-Darren.

I have a DB flute made of Sri Lankan royal ebony and it kicks ass. I think his flutes vary quite a bit depending upon the wood (although he disagrees with this). And the short ones are better than the long ones because the bore on the long ones is too thin to produce enough lows (IMO). 

I have played wooden flutes by David Brown and Peter Ross that are definitely better than the Yuu.

Inoue Shigeshi made a really interesting set of flutes consisting of a mouthpiece, a "rootend" and four interchangeable middle pieces. When assembled it made a 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0. They were made of bamboo composite (whatever that is, I'm not sure). Maybe it's molded bamboo sawdust or something. Anyway that was better than most or maybe all of these wooden or plastic flutes. But they were designed by Inoue, one of the greatest makers of our time.

#17 2007-02-20 23:10:56

radi0gnome
Website

dstone wrote:

kyoreiflutes wrote:

-Darren.

As far as the internal shape, I'd think the Yuu has it over wooden instruments. It's not unrealistically difficult to get a cylinderical shape, but a cylinderical shape with a curve near the bottom has got to be tough. If material makes a difference acoustically, wood will be closer to bamboo than plastic.

Tairaku wrote:

I have a DB flute made of Sri Lankan royal ebony and it kicks ass. I think his flutes vary quite a bit depending upon the wood (although he disagrees with this).

It's surprising how many makers share his opinion. I'm not sure what to think sound-wise, but for the player the feel of the instrument definitely has some importance, and that would be affected by the material. 

Tairaku wrote:

And the short ones are better than the long ones because the bore on the long ones is too thin to produce enough lows (IMO).

I've been thinking a lot about this myself after having just receiving a 2.2 from Perry Yung. It got me thinking that maybe that the reason my monsur ney (that's one of the longer ones) isn't strong in the lower register is because it's so thin. This is typical with these instruments, but there are recordings where some well-known players really get those low notes booming. This could have a lot to do with playing ability and recording technique, but I'm thinking maybe the instruments are better designed for it too.   

Also, labeling instruments that are inherently unique as "better" than another one is difficult. Some things are very objective and easy to make comparisons with. In the case of my 1.8 Jiari compared to the Yung 2.2 that I just got and am inclined to try to compare, the 2.2 is obviously better if you like low tones, and the tuning is better too (although I'm starting to think some of that may be because some of the Ji near the joint is missing). But as far as the tone quality and how hard or softly you can blow the instrument and the results you get from it is totally subjective. They are different, one is not necessarily "better" than the other. As far as plastic or wood where the uniqueness is lost, that's a big enough loss to endure to drive me to not want to experiment much with those materials, but I have a hunch I could grow to like instruments made of those materials very easily.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#18 2007-02-21 11:55:51

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

I'd like to put in my 2 cents!

If you take care of your Shakuhachi (which in my case means always keeping it in a plastic bag with a dampit inside, and a rubber band tying off the outside), you shouldn't have to worry about cracking. Any of my better flutes (which are all worth over $5,000-) have travelled extensively with me (annual trips to Japan and Mexico and usually Argentina, etc. And weekly /monthly trips from NYC to Philadelphia, Upstate NY, Baltimore, Rochester, etc.) - NONE have ever cracked in the 34 years that I have been playing!

Treat your flute well and avoid extreme weather changes , direct sun, or having the flute unprotected in Air-Conditioned rooms or Central Heated Rooms.

And at the end of the day, remember that Bamaboo is something that DOES crack, but fortunately we have some excellent people that can repair it both here in the USA (Monty Levenson, Perry Yung, Ken LaCross), as well as in Japan.

Playing your flutes everyday is the best thing you can do!

My teacher told me that if I miss a day on The Shakuhachi, I go back one week in my practice!!
I was afraid to go backwards and didn't miss a day for the first 5 years!

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2007-02-21 11:56:59)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#19 2007-02-21 14:19:42

radi0gnome
Website

Nyogetsu wrote:

I'd like to put in my 2 cents!

If you take care of your Shakuhachi (which in my case means always keeping it in a plastic bag with a dampit inside, and a rubber band tying off the outside), you shouldn't have to worry about cracking. Any of my better flutes (which are all worth over $5,000-)...

I'm going to disagree, at least until someone changes my mind. I've been purchasing bamboo flutes since the '70's (didg's since the 90's) and have come to the conclusion that some are going to crack very soon, some later, and some much later. There's a chance that the ones that cracked later may have had some of their uncracked lives extended if I did the plastic bag and dampit routine, but flutes that crack within a week after I get them in my hands are a common enough occurence that I'm convinced it's not a care problem, unless this plastic bag and dampit solution is meant for overnight storage. There could be a few things going on, you mention that all your flutes were in the $5000 and up range, maybe makers at that price range either select better cured bamboo or the instruments are laying around their shops for enough time to get past the time period that all the new stresses from the building process will crack them before they leave the shop. OTOH, a particular maker in Vermont that I have a lot of respect for (Zachiah Blackburn for Sunreed instruments), confidently said to me that his instruments wouldn't crack when I asked if he guaranteed against cracking for at least a few weeks. 15 years after my 1st instrument from him, completely uncared for, rained on, brought to the beach, sitting in a steaming hot car, a freezing cold car, hasn't cracked. Neither have any of the other 3 instruments I got from him cracked.

Anyway, for those relatively inexpensive instruments (less than $200, some as cheap as $15, but there was a lot of inflation between then and now), the cracks never bothered me much. Until very recently the solution was wrapping them with electrical tape. I remember seeing Egberto Gismonti in concert once in the early '80's and his flute was so wrapped up in electrical tape it hardly had any surface showing. If it's good enough for him I don't see why I should be all that opposed to it, but the binding solution is relatively easy and looks a lot better.

For $5000 flutes, I've never owned an instrument of any kind I've paid more than $1000 for, and you could be darn sure I'd be doing the plastic bag and dampit routine even for a few hours storage if I had a bamboo instrument worth that much. So maybe my problem is a bit of a care problem. Heck, my car didn't even cost that much!

#20 2007-02-21 19:48:47

jamesnyman

I have purchased a number of shakuhachi from Ken LaCosse and Perry Yung in the $200-1000 (1.6-2.4) range. I pre-emptively bind them and store them in a plastic bag and a vapor barrier wool or silk bag. I have not routinely used "Dampits". I have taken them with me EVERYWHERE I go, ususally in my backpack. I have not had one crack in the past three years of doing this. I am careful with the flutes, but not overly so. I try to play them every day or so.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#21 2007-02-21 20:24:56

dstone
Website

Nyogetsu wrote:

My teacher told me that if I miss a day on The Shakuhachi, I go back one week in my practice!!

That's awesome!  I had a Chinese martial arts sifu who told me something similar about qi gong...  He said if I practiced every day for ten years, I would no longer need to practice daily, maybe only weekly if I wanted to, yet that would still be enough to maintain all the training's benefits. 

Of course just several years into that regimen, the idea of not spending 20 minutes on a quick set every single morning was unthinkable!  So the psychology of it worked!  (For a while...)

Back on topic...   sharing flute care philosophies...  2+ years with a handful of jinashi flutes.  No bagging, no humidifiers.  (Bagged only when I travel.)  A couple get daily practice, a few others maybe weekly or less.  No cracks.  Maybe Vancouver is just a moderate, bamboo-friendly climate, I don't really know.  Granted though, if I owned $5K+ flutes, my attitude might be a bit less cavalier.  wink

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-02-21 21:55:53)

#22 2007-02-21 21:14:47

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

...unless this plastic bag and dampit solution is meant for overnight storage.

It's not quite clear to me what you are saying here, but:

Of course it's meant for overnight storage.

When you're not playing it, it's in the bag, with the dampit (or reasonable substitute). Period.

Never had a shakuhachi crack in 16 years of playing 'em, no matter what they cost, bound or not, and I
live in the Rockies, the high and dry.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2007-02-21 21:15:18)

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#23 2007-02-21 21:57:30

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

radi0gnome wrote:

...unless this plastic bag and dampit solution is meant for overnight storage.

It's not quite clear to me what you are saying here, but:

Of course it's meant for overnight storage.

When you're not playing it, it's in the bag, with the dampit (or reasonable substitute). Period.

Yes, that's what I meant. It seemed kind of extreme, and a bit of a hassle, to keep putting and removing the instrument from the bag every day when you know your going to play it the next day. And, I don't know about others, but often if I have a lot of time on my hands the I'll play the instrument many times during the day with multiple breaks to do other things. The hassle of putting the instrument away each time and taking it back out would be discouraging in playing it. Of course, that's part of the reason why I liked the plastic Irish and baroque flutes so much. Plastic bags for the 4 foot bamboo didjeridus would be a major hassle too, might as well stick to PVC or eucalyptpus.     

edosan wrote:

Never had a shakuhachi crack in 16 years of playing 'em, no matter what they cost, bound or not, and I
live in the Rockies, the high and dry.

So I guess the plastic bag with dampit idea must be a very good one.

#24 2007-02-21 22:30:00

radi0gnome
Website

dstone wrote:

Nyogetsu wrote:

That's awesome!  I had a Chinese martial arts sifu who told me something similar about qi gong...  He said if I practiced every day for ten years, I would no longer need to practice daily, maybe only weekly if I wanted to, yet that would still be enough to maintain all the training's benefits.

In learning almost anything, if hammering away at it is getting diminishing returns to the point of almost no progress, it usually helps to give it a break for a while. When you come back to it, it could very well have improved some. Psychologically it's called integration. I had a roller skate dance instructor describe it as there being a board of directors in your mind that have to go off into a conference room to discuss just what this guy is trying to do strapping wheels to his feet. For most practices you can continue practicing some of what you were doing each day, but just forgoing the element (be it a particular scale or technique or something) that's giving you the trouble for a while.   

dstone wrote:

Granted though, if I owned $5K+ flutes, my attitude might be a bit less cavalier.  wink

Yes, I'm still trying to imagine myself being in that situation. I almost think I'd be spending more time inspecting it for cracks about to start than actually playing it.

#25 2007-02-21 23:05:00

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant. It seemed kind of extreme, and a bit of a hassle...

Not nearly as extreme as dealing with cracks in my precious flutes...

radi0gnome wrote:

So I guess the plastic bag with dampit idea must be a very good one.

It's the only one.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer