Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-02 20:08:25

amokrun

Is this kind of lip position wrong?

All the material I've read talks about how you should stretch your lips horizontally and make the opening betwen them very thin that way. For one reason or another, that never worked very well for me. What I do is roughly keeping the lips like they are normally. From that point I stretch my lips to both directions very slightly so that a tiny hole opens up in the middle. The hole is basically a very flat circle. It looks roughly the same as the pictures I've seen. I also keep my tongue so that it slightly touches the lower lip. No part of my mouth is really tightened and the tongue is almost completely relaxed.

Blowing this way, it's very easy for me to play almost anything I've encountered (save for the highest kan notes that I can't play - yet!). Trying to spread my lips like crazy results in absolutely nothing. I can recreate the kind of lip opening that is shown in all my material but I don't pull my lips from both sides nearly as much as the pictures suggest.

Is there a problem with this kind of blowing? Do you really need to pull your lips to the side as much as you can? All of the material I've read suggests that blowing kan notes involves pulling the lips to the sides even more. Personally I find it much easier to just sort of flatten the hole between my lips even more with a very subtle movement of the lips that is done with the lip muscles and not the muscles on both sides of your lips. This kind of thing comes very naturally for me and doesn't require excessive force. Trying to pull my lips to the sides makes blowing very rigid and precision goes to hell.

To sum it up, am I doing something wrong or is it entirely possible that the kind of lip opening I maintain simply works better for my anatomy? Do you, personally, pull your lips to the sides very strongly?

#2 2007-01-02 21:51:51

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Is this kind of lip position wrong?

If it works, don't fix it.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-01-03 20:31:38

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

It sounds like the way you are playing is fine.  You basically want to keep as relaxed and natural an embouchere as possible.  I remember taking some lessons with Kakizakai sensei where he specifically stressed not pulling the lips too strongly to the side.    Andrew Macgregor and Alcvin Ramos both have good detailed descriptions of blowing technique on their websites.

#4 2007-01-09 11:04:37

de_Genova

I just ordered my first shakuhachi - an old Tozan Jinashi from Perry Yung. There was some talk about the fact that this is a 1.7 size, 20 " length X 1 1/4" diameter and its keyed to Eb. He said its fine for solo work but for ensemble and playing with others I might want to look into a the 1.8 which is keyed to more of a western standard.  That part is fine with me because I would take a year or so of solo playing anyway in order to develop a technique then possibly move on up to a more refined instrument. This piece came at a very good price for a beginning player.
    I was reading the posts on placement of the lips and the position of the embouchure and was wondering about the embouchure that I have developed over the years playing silver flutes. Will it serve me well on the shakuhachi or must I learn to develop it in other ways more suitable to bamboo and the rather larger opening? The same for breathing. I am supposing that I may use a very similar technique that has worked so well for me over the years. Any comments are appreciated - and if someone could address the pros and cons of the 1.7 vs. the 1.8 please do so. ...............Gracie ragazzi..........PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2007-01-09 11:12:48)

Don't take any wooden nickles!

#5 2007-01-09 13:07:41

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

de_Genova wrote:

I was reading the posts on placement of the lips and the position of the embouchure and was wondering about the embouchure that I have developed over the years playing silver flutes. Will it serve me well on the shakuhachi or must I learn to develop it in other ways more suitable to bamboo and the rather larger opening? The same for breathing. I am supposing that I may use a very similar technique that has worked so well for me over the years.

Both embouchure and breathing techniques you've developped on silver flute will be very useful on shakuhachi. But only for technique : it doesn't mean that you should play in the same style of sound, and there are nevertheless some differences between the two embouchures.

#6 2007-01-09 13:41:09

de_Genova

JF Lagrost     "Both embouchure and breathing techniques you've developped on silver flute will be very useful on shakuhachi. But only for technique : it doesn't mean that you should play in the same style of sound, and there are nevertheless some differences between the two embouchures?

Thanks for the comments.  Its good to know that these techniques are able to be carried over to the Shakuhachi. Actually I have been developing a rather interesting shakuhachi tone on one of my flutes. It so happens that its the beginner Yamaha that I have always kept because I like it so much, and not one of the more so-called 'sophisticated' (and quite expensive) models that I own. The Yamaha has a very 'forgiving' embouchure and is given to some interesting tonal variations, especially in the lower register. Its the horn I use when playing Jazz and standards and it has a nice 'rough edge' to it. So in a certain sense I have a sort of a head start on the Bamboo.  But I do realize the difference in style and approach from that of silver to bamboo. PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2007-01-10 11:05:46)

#7 2007-01-10 06:27:07

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

Hello Philip,
I recieved your private message. I have to give my flute lessons in a few minutes and I don't feel at ease with English, so I will answer you later.

JFL

#8 2007-01-10 12:03:46

radi0gnome
Website

de_Genova wrote:

I was reading the posts on placement of the lips and the position of the embouchure and was wondering about the embouchure that I have developed over the years playing silver flutes. Will it serve me well on the shakuhachi or must I learn to develop it in other ways more suitable to bamboo and the rather larger opening? The same for breathing. I am supposing that I may use a very similar technique that has worked so well for me over the years.

Considering the difficulty most beginners say they experience I figure that my background on silver flute must have helped with shakuhachi because I didn't find it all that difficult. The embouchure of course is different, but it's still centered and the lip opening is a small oval just like silver flute. I also think you'll find that playing shakuhachi will help your silver flute playing, I know I did. As far as breathing, I don't know about traditional Japanese music, but for just blowing, the techniques used for silver flute work fine. Be aware that even with silver flute different teachers teach breathing differently, but I think that as long as they aren't  just plain wrong the different techniques should all work. You might want to talk to Geni, he's on this forum, and when I went to his website I found that he is an extremely good flute player.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#9 2007-01-10 15:22:38

Moran from Planet X
Website

I considered this part of Perry Yung's  complete post on the subject (http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=848) to be very useful:

Akikazu (Nakamura) also taught a very specific technique on how to develop what he believes to be the ideal embrouchure. He used a visualization method of finding a tiny millet in your mouth and bringing it to the area just beyond your front teeth at the wet fleshy part of your lips. Then carefully balance the millet and "pop" it out just past your lips. When I tried this the first time, he said, "Ooh, that's a big millet! Try to find a smaller one." When you are popping out a small millet, aim for a spot on the wall in front of you.  The idea is to blow a small, direct and focused air stream. Akikazu's embouchure is a little closer to the inside of the lips (towards the teeth). Kinya's embouchure was a little towards the front.  I have a suspicion that where the exact opening location is does influence tone color.

"Ooh, that's a big millet! Try to find a smaller one."

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-01-10 23:37:34)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#10 2007-01-10 21:44:24

kyoreiflutes
Website

Alas, I've never eaten, nor seen (as far as I know), millet. Is it a grain or rice-like? wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#11 2007-01-10 23:28:52

Moran from Planet X
Website

Millet is bird seed. Rather, I should say, millet is used as bird seed. It is also quite nice for human consumption boiled like rice or baked into breads -- particularly cornbread. This photo should be 1:1 scale (actual size). I think this is generally pretty big millet, too. So pick a small one. >:0}

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/353462761_990e0a7a30_m.jpg

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-01-10 23:35:34)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#12 2007-01-11 03:35:27

de_Genova

Thanks for the helpful posts regarding lips and air. As for the image of the millet seed - while reading the post I couldn't help but to recall the first thing my first teacher said to me about getting  a good sound out. In my early confusion I thought he said to imagine firing a grape out of your mouth, which to me seemed rather strange. But what he actually meant was for me to -- " .  .  .Imagine myself standing at a fence and that there is a grape perched on top. Now imagine knocking the grape off of the fence using only your mouth and a stream of air. You know that hollering with a wide open mouth probably won't do it, right? So purse the lips in such a way as to direct a narrow stream of air then place your tongue on the back of your top teeth and 'shoot' the stream of air through your lips; firing the air-stream towards the center of the grape like a bullet. The smaller and rounder the opening between the lips the surer the shot will be. In some way or another, with slight variations, this will apply to every note you play." .  .  .   end quote. . .  I guess I learned something from it all but I never did acquire the 'round' opening he spoke of -- always an oval. ..............PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2007-01-11 09:42:31)

#13 2007-01-11 12:49:13

radi0gnome
Website

de_Genova wrote:

I guess I learned something from it all but I never did acquire the 'round' opening he spoke of -- always an oval. ..............PD

About that oval, I was very confused and frustrated at one time because one of my teachers (this was with silver flute) told me the opening should be round and had me practicing in front of a mirror trying to achieve the roundness. I guess it's not her fault because she didn't realize how obsessed I'd become with it, but I could have better spent a large number of hours practicing music though. Here's a page I found with silver flute embouchures, not one round embouchure among them...

http://www.larrykrantz.com/embpic.htm 

As far as shakuhachi, since I don't have a teacher, I've just been going for the best sounds I can find and haven't looked in a mirror once. I thought about the thin stream of air a few times after reading Perry's story about the teacher talking about a millet (even though I didn't know what a millet was until now), but I'm not inclined to obsess about it. One thing I've noticed about shakuhachi is the wide range of tones and dynamics you can get. I'm sure the embouchure is changing when varying between them, and despite that some of them may not fit some traditional styles, I can't just can't see labeling any of them as "wrong".

#14 2007-01-11 13:55:14

dstone
Website

Chris Moran wrote:

This photo should be 1:1 scale (actual size).

That did it.  I've finally found a way to make my hopelessly-large embouchure opening the size of a millet grain...  I am viewing your millet photo on a 32" monitor.  Finally!  The size of my embouchure opening is correct!  wink

Just kidding.  My teacher, Alcvin Ramos, also uses the millet analogy.  Spitting (well, visualizing spitting) little millet seeds from the -wet- part of the lips is something he suggests.  Exposing the wet, inner part of relaxed lips without forcefully jutting them out might be something to practice.  We also do lip/mouth/face stretches and limbering before a lesson.

I'm just a beginner but I think any kind of unusual lip awareness/movement practices (or other wind/brass backgrounds) are probably beneficial.  We have so many muscles and nerve endings in that area that  the potential for great fitness and control is there.  But the movements and expressions of "normal" life don't demand much positional/muscular/relaxation awareness in that area, so it takes a while to build the muscles and then the brain signals and memory for them.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#15 2007-01-11 15:33:36

Moran from Planet X
Website

dstone wrote:

I'm just a beginner ...

Me too.

Yes, I also have appreciated Alcvin Ramos' instruction on embouchure (not to mention his playing and his flutes).

I've also noticed some shakuhachi masters will "frown" the outside corners of their lips in order to get a smaller and more stable shape, particularly for the higher registers. Edosan once remarked on something like this.

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-01-28 00:07:49)

#16 2007-01-11 17:22:08

rpowers

Chris Moran wrote:

Millet is bird seed. Rather, I should say, millet is used as bird seed.

The bird seed I used to buy was primarily hemp seeds. Never sprouted, though.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#17 2007-01-11 20:47:13

dstone
Website

rpowers wrote:

The bird seed I used to buy was primarily hemp seeds. Never sprouted, though.

Rich, you're buying the wrong seed.  We have shops in Vansterdam (as I'm sure you do in San Fran) that can help you with that quest.  roll

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#18 2007-01-12 03:03:49

de_Genova

Could someone here please impart a little information regarding the recent selection of my first shakuhachi, an old Tozan Jinashi 1.7. Perry Yung, the seller, advises a 1.8 sometime down the road, and some more recent advice along those lines from Ray Brooks indicates that I may not have made the correct choice, (quote.  .  .  "if you wish to follow music on CD's or take lessons you will need a 1.8." end quote  .  .  .   although I still think my choice was fine since I am pretty much a solitary player at the moment. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Will this choice have a negative impact on future technique in terms of tone quality etc., as regards future ensemble playing? One of my primary interests here it find out about the advantages and or disadvantages of the 1.7 vs the 1.8.  Thank you PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2007-01-12 03:13:14)

#19 2007-01-12 03:09:23

radi0gnome
Website

dstone wrote:

I'm just a beginner but I think any kind of unusual lip awareness/movement practices (or other wind/brass backgrounds) are probably beneficial.  We have so many muscles and nerve endings in that area that  the potential for great fitness and control is there.  But the movements and expressions of "normal" life don't demand much positional/muscular/relaxation awareness in that area, so it takes a while to build the muscles and then the brain signals and memory for them.

-Darren.

Pretty good ideas you have there. One excercise the silver flute teacher that had me practicing in the mirror used to have me do that I was less obsessed with and found somewhat useful was to articulate the notes with your lips. Closed lips, a little puff of air to get them open and see if you can get the tone immediatley when the lips open, which should be the same time you start the breath. She called it a "pooh" attack because if you vocalized "pooh" your lips work the same way. It's supposed to be good for getting a small, focused embouchure. The odd thing is that it's a lot easier to do after your already past the beginner level, so I'm not sure if practicing it really helps beginners play better or if it's more of a check to see if you've got the whole embouchure thing down correctly. You can do it with shakuhachi too.

Another idea from another teacher (Robert Dick) is to play whistle tones. Those are the wind tones that come out when you blow very lightly. The idea is to control your breath and embouchure well enough to keep it on one note instead of the array of notes that happen when you don't try to control them. Your breath has to be very smooth and your embouchure very steady, I practice them on shakuhachi, I think they're helpful. On silver flute I never got them nearly as good, steady or loud as Robert Dick could. If you could get them that solid it's not only a neat trick and good practice, but a very useable and ethereal sound. He wrote a book around 1980 on  flute extended techniques and multiphonics, I highly recommend the book if you can still find it anywhere. He was playing shakuhachi back then, I have the idea that's where he got his inspiration for some of the extended techniques.

#20 2007-01-12 03:26:00

radi0gnome
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

He wrote a book around 1980 on  flute extended techniques and multiphonics, I highly recommend the book if you can still find it anywhere.

I just looked and found that it's available on Amazon. It says 1986, but I'm 100% sure it was around 1980 when it was first written. It might be a bit of overkill for shakuhachi because some of the thing are specific to silver flute, but the whistle tones (he calls them whisper tones) are covered, and so are harmonics which I forgot about but are one of the first things I try when I pick up a new flute.

http://www.amazon.com/Development-Throu … mp;s=books

#21 2007-01-14 21:09:59

dstone
Website

If one really wants to keep an eye on their embouchure...
it looks like accessories are available...

http://shaku8.tosaint.com/attachment/BYH1131425663.jpg

Or maybe that's just for the paranoid to keep an eye out over their shoulder...

(no I don't have one)

-Darren.

#22 2007-01-14 23:47:24

edosan
Edomologist

de_Genova wrote:

Could someone here please impart a little information regarding the recent selection of my first shakuhachi, an old Tozan Jinashi 1.7. Perry Yung, the seller, advises a 1.8 sometime down the road, and some more recent advice along those lines from Ray Brooks indicates that I may not have made the correct choice, (quote.  .  .  "if you wish to follow music on CD's or take lessons you will need a 1.8." end quote  .  .  .   although I still think my choice was fine since I am pretty much a solitary player at the moment. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Will this choice have a negative impact on future technique in terms of tone quality etc., as regards future ensemble playing? One of my primary interests here it find out about the advantages and or disadvantages of the 1.7 vs the 1.8.  Thank you PD

There are no inherent disadvantages in having a 1.7 vs. a 1.8 flute; the playing techniques are the same in either case,
although every shakuhachi has its own 'personality': strengths and/or weaknesses that one must accomodate.

The issue that Ray Brooks was referring to is that almost all the teaching materials and instruction for traditional
shakuhachi music is done with a 1.8, so you're likely to have difficulties playing along with a teacher--your 1.7,
if it's in proper tune, is 1/2 step above a 1.8.

There is also software available which enables you to change the pitch of recorded music to match your flute.
It will also change the speed, or both pitch and speed at the same time, and also allows looping of any size segment
of the piece you're working on.

Available at www.ronimusic.com. It's called Amazing Slow Downer. I've used it for years, and it's a fine piece of software, regularly updated.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#23 2007-01-16 10:33:22

de_Genova

edosan ,,,thank you for your comments. Interestingly enough, the 1.7, (jinashi) which I bought from PY was only $400.00 -- a fair price for a beginner flute I thought. Then after listening to all the advice from several sources I decided to accept a gift from a friend who found another -- a 1.8 for around the same price - $400.00 and bought it for me recently. I figured that I would have had to spend almost a thousand anyway for a reasonably good beginner piece, so I think I made out OK. The new 1.8 (jiari) is an early Yamaguchi Shugetsu, and from all that I have 'seen and heard' it is a fine piece and I should be very happy with it. So now I have two 'for the price of one' ........PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2007-01-23 13:56:56)

Board footer