World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-11 20:08:22

Derek Van Choice
Website

Diagnosing an overtone culrpit

Howdy!

I am working on a 2.0 jiari.  I have worked the taper to, what I feel, is ready for the 1st application of urushi (based on tonal body, general response, etc.)...  except, when playing koro koro, it easily breaks into a dai kan ro overtone.  Having moved blips of wood slivers and other small items around inside the bore, my best guess is that, between the choke point and root opening, there is still a tiny bit too much material, but the changes were inconclusive.  Below the 3rd hole also gave some indication of something or other... maybe?

I don't quite have enough instruments under my belt yet to immediately understand the most probable cause of this, and am hoping to avoid going the other direction, having to mix more ji, cure time, etc.  If there is a "most common" taper issue, or otherwise, that can cause this, I would love any input.  I have worked, unsuccessfully, for several days now on this one issue, and figured I better post a Q, just in case.

I was going to just begin applying/working layers of urushi, hoping it might be something that can be worked successfully in that process, but, if too much more material needs to come out, I would not want to end up below the lacquer, in its completedness.

Many thanks!

smile

Derek

Last edited by Derek Van Choice (2007-01-11 22:50:23)

#2 2007-01-12 13:43:25

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Diagnosing an overtone culrpit

Derek Van Choice wrote:

If there is a "most common" taper issue, or otherwise, that can cause this, I would love any input.  I have worked, unsuccessfully, for several days now on this one issue, and figured I better post a Q, just in case.

Hi Derek,

You may have tried this already, but here is a thought.

If you have some flutes around (with similar bore road maps) that play koro koro techniques well, perhaps they could be used as a gauge. Maybe go at it in reverse. For example, add wet newspaper in various areas to the 'good' flute until it messes up koro koro. There might be a clue there in terms of what to 'undo' in the culprit flute.

Best of luck,

Ken

#3 2007-01-13 12:20:19

Derek Van Choice
Website

Re: Diagnosing an overtone culrpit

Thank you, Ken!

It is good advice.  I did try that, though could not replicate the problem.  I still don't know, definitively, what is causing it, but the golden region between the thumb and 3rd hole seems to be a small part of the problem.  It is such a fine line between maintaining response of dai kan ro, and that inkling of too much sensitivity, having it sneak in during koro koro.  I think it is close enough, though, to begin applying the lacquer, and work from that point.  If I am able to pinpoint an exact cause, I will post it here.

BTW, I still keep a couple photos around of one of your past flutes... I love the way you addressed the odd root growth on this.  Looks almost like a fine granite mixture?  The beauty of bamboo & and stone... quite masterful, Ken!

smile

http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/117.jpg

Board footer