Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-16 17:44:51

dstone
Website

Shedding light on Shingetsu... anyone?

I find it a compelling piece to play (and listen to) and I'd like to hear more of its history or origins or other details.  Anyone?

Its page at komuso.com has a bit of info by various artists, but not much.  And maybe that's all there is to it, which would be fine and actually quite in the spirit of the piece I suppose...

One nice morsel is this, from some Watazumi liner notes...  The title Shingetsu comes from the ancient Chinese poem, "The enlightened soul is like the solitary moon, it's light engulfing all."  Which poem is this (and by whom)?

Previous to Watazumi, or parallel to him in other schools, did this piece exist?

And sorry for the subject title!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-04-24 18:20:15

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Re: Shedding light on Shingetsu... anyone?

if you have time to search you should find your answer here.

http://www.chinapage.com/Moon/moon-poetry.html

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#3 2007-04-25 13:00:15

Zakarius

Gishin wrote:

if you have time to search you should find your answer here.

http://www.chinapage.com/Moon/moon-poetry.html

First of all, that's a pretty nice site, Gishin... thanks!

I spent a good half hour sifting through the poems looking for possibilities of the poem Darren mentioned but didn't come up with anything... Since the quote is in English and the vast amount of classical Chinese poetry contained incredibly dense language, it's difficult to accurately guess what the original Chinese was -- i.e. the line mentioned was likely translated 100 different ways by 100 different translators.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#4 2007-04-26 07:41:28

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

This is exactly why I did not try to search for it myself. Since I did not know if the poem used was Japanized (MIxe of Hiragana and Kanji) also I did not have any of the Hanzi of this poem. I was hoping maybe Darren had it so he could have found it on his own. Anyhow if we could at least get the original version it would be a easy task to find it on the web or I would just get lazy and ask the wife wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#5 2007-04-26 12:05:50

dstone
Website

Gishin wrote:

This is exactly why I did not try to search for it myself. Since I did not know if the poem used was Japanized (MIxe of Hiragana and Kanji) also I did not have any of the Hanzi of this poem. I was hoping maybe Darren had it so he could have found it on his own. Anyhow if we could at least get the original version it would be a easy task to find it on the web or I would just get lazy and ask the wife wink

Sebastien, nice poems!  (I only just noticed the English translations there also.)  Thanks for the link. 

I've put a scan of the Watazumi liner note for Shingetsu below.

http://bitmason.com/shaku/shingetsu/shingetsu_liner_note_smaller.jpg
(larger image here)

I've done some searches at the poetry site (in the English translations) for "engulfing", "enlightened", and "solitary".  No dice yet but I can also chalk that up to the nature of translation.  Some really nice poetry there.  And more to search...

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-04-27 01:10:29)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2007-04-27 01:11:37

dstone
Website

Is someone able to type that first line of Japanese, above, for me?  (i.e. with the alleged poem quote in it)

I can Google or otherwise search from there...

-Darren.

#7 2007-04-27 03:46:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

So that flute Watazumi is playing is a 3.25 which means he's probably about 5 feet tall. Very cool photo thanks for posting it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2007-04-27 11:06:11

dstone
Website

Tairaku wrote:

So that flute Watazumi is playing is a 3.25 which means he's probably about 5 feet tall. Very cool photo thanks for posting it.

A few tracks later, on Kyorei, he's shown playing a 3.4 (103 cm).  He starts to stretch a bit on that one!  That's also the flute rumored to have been "made by a child".

I haven't found the Chinese moon poem in question.  But here's a lucid thought from Dogen with similar sentiment (from "Moon in a Dewdrop", trans. K. Tanahashi, p. 71):

Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.

Enlightenment does not divide you, just as the moon does not break the water. You cannot hinder enlightenment, just as a drop of water does not hinder the moon in the sky.

The depth of the drop is the height of the moon. Each reflection, however long or short its duration, manifests the vastness of the dewdrop, and realizes the limitlessness of the moonlight in the sky.

-Darren.

#9 2007-04-27 11:38:43

-Prem

This is what I have been able to gather (however mostly intuitively) regarding Shingetsu. I have not seen/heard any players of any other tradition besides people influenced by Watazumido playing this piece. Also, Watazumido plays 3 very distinct versions of Shingetsu. There is Shingetsu Cho which is the same as Yokoyama's version. This can also be heard on Watazumido's Hotchiku CD. Then there is Shingetsu which is on the album which the above posted liner notes is from. It is a very basic presentation because it is played on such a long hotchiku. Pretty much the same structure except for a couple different lines added. Then there is So Shingetsu which is a very ornate, improvised version of Yamato Choshi. (You can hear a version of this piece called Yamato Shirabe online here: http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … nryuu.html). Although retaining the same structure and form as Yamato Choshi. You might ask, Yamato Choshi!!??! I thought we we talking about Shingetsu.
Well this is where my intuition comes in to play. Watazumido is very famous for changinging/improvising Honkyoku.

I have heard 4 versions of Watazumido's So Shingetsu alone and each was different than the last. Although you can tell they all are based on Yamato Choshi. A very interesting version of Yamato Choshi indeed! The only CD I have found that has this unique version in its basic form of Yamato Choshi is the one by Kodo Nagaoka (http://www.komuso.com/people/Nagaoka_Kodo.html). This CD also contains all the scores for the pieces on the CD. Very cool in itself!

Anyway, Yamato Choshi was composed(by accident!) by Tani Kyochiku, a student of Master Miyagawa Kyozan.
Here is the details from komuso.com regarding that event:

Kyochiku learned this piece as "Darani" from the Nara shakuhachi performer Murata Sen'o, but when ten years later he performed it for Murata, the latter exclaimed "That is a nice piece, what is it?" This comment, indicating that after ten years the piece had been completely altered, greatly disheartened Kyochiku. He then named what he played "Yamato-joshi" (literally, "melody from Yamato"). Yamato, another name for Nara, was the area in which he had once learned the original composition.

The above information shows that Honkyoku can dramatically alter after years of playing and penetration to the essence of the pieces. Watazumido constantly altered Honkyoku whether purposefully or not. But in my opinion only a VERY skilled player has the ability to understand where and how a piece can be altered and still retain its identity. I feel that is where the greatness of Watazumido lies. He trained for many years with many teachers. Yet each piece feels fresh and new as if he composed it on the spot! Which he did.

I hope this info was useful.
-Prem

P.S. Shingetsu and Yamato Choshi in all its versions is one of my all time favorite Honkyoku!

#10 2007-04-27 13:01:59

Zakarius

dstone wrote:

Is someone able to type that first line of Japanese, above, for me?  (i.e. with the alleged poem quote in it)

I can Google or otherwise search from there...

-Darren.

I typed in the Chinese and did a search... didn't come up with the poem, though. I also tried taking out a few of the characters and still no luck. I did come up with an idiom (Chinese LOVE idioms) which has 6 of the 8 characters as the same... however, the meaning of the idiom hardly seems poetic.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#11 2007-04-27 15:26:12

dstone
Website

-Prem wrote:

I hope this info was useful.

Prem, thanks!  You've added richness to my meager understanding of a really great piece.

Atsuya Okuda also plays Shingetsu in his own way.  The pace is, of course, glacial and it's just beautiful.  At the start, maybe it has some essense of the Dokyoku version as I play and understand it, but it's very different with its own signature phrases that get repeated.  What I consider a signature phrase in the Dokyoku version (the line at the midway point and again at the very end, with slight variations) doesn't seem to be present in Okuda's version.  No matter, of course... a minute into it (it's 10+ mins long), I'm lost and not analyzing and it's just great.

A Zensabo student might tell us more about it.

-Darren.

#12 2007-04-27 15:59:20

-Prem

Hello Darren-
I am glad the info was useful. I have actually had the good fortune of having studied with Hiroyuki Kodama, Kiku Day and Okuda himself. Okuda's Shingetsu piece, if I am not mistaken (Kiku, correct me if I am wrong), is based upon Watazumido's Shingetsu version from The Mysterious Sounds of Bamboo Flute. Okuda also plays Shingetsu Cho and So Shingetsu. Kodama explained the different versions to me when he stayed with me in Chicago about 6 years ago. Although we did not speak each other's language, we were able to communicate through that universal language of music (and also one of those Electronic Dictionaries!). Although, Okuda does play it at an EXTREMELY glacial pace, unlike Watazumido's version which is slow, but not THAT slow. I was in the studio with Okuda when he recorded a couple different versions of Shingetsu and he played it SOOOOOO slow and almost inaudible. Very interesting effect! Okuda and his main students, Kiku and Kodama, (perhaps there are others I do not know of) have done a great job of furthering the GREAT tradition of Hotchiku/jinashi as laid out by Watazumido. Of course Watazumido was not the first to play jinashi/Hotchiku but in my opinion, as far as improvisation and creativity is concerned, he did it like no other.

-Prem

#13 2007-04-27 16:21:15

dstone
Website

-Prem wrote:

I am glad the info was useful. I have actually had the good fortune of having studied with Hiroyuki Kodama, Kiku Day and Okuda himself.

Good fortune, maybe, but I might say those teachers appeared because the student was ready!

-Darren.

Board footer