World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-19 13:44:33

chuck091956
Website

Tinted Shakuhachi Yuu

Hello All,

This is some picutres on my one year old Yuu. I've tinted it using a brown permanent Sharpie marker. I looked at real bamboo flutes and tried to simulate them.  I washed the flute in warm soapy water well to get any oils off it. Then I make many small marks with the pen that I quickly rubbed/smugged with my finger to blend them in. If you wait even a few seconds to rub the new mark it will be a hard line.

Enjoy and if anyone wants any more details I'll post more.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7978/photos004gx9.th.jpg http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5655/photos002ni1.th.jpg http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/656/photos005oh0.th.jpg

Chuck

Chuck Peck

#2 2007-01-19 15:19:53

dstone
Website

Re: Tinted Shakuhachi Yuu

Giving the plain ABS finish a bit of a wabi-sabi touch.... 

Nice looking work, Chuck!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-01-20 06:20:30

KenC

Nice Chuck...

I've been considering an enhanced Yuu as a back up flute and thought about doing something like that. Derek Van Choice has some pictures and how he didi a very nice Yuu on his site located here if your looking for further inspiration.

http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/Inga/yuu.htm

#4 2007-06-20 07:31:26

Harazda

I was thinking about just staining one with tea.  If it would work, it seems a nice natural method.

#5 2007-06-20 11:40:23

chuck091956
Website

I would not believe that tea would penetrate the surface of the Yuu.

I think the ethers/acetone of a permanent marker or the petroleum base of the wood stain as Ken used is what allowed them to actually stain plastic.

Harazda, if you try staining with tea I'd love to know how it comes out.

Chuck Peck

#6 2007-06-20 12:24:06

Harazda

Yeah, I haven't handled one yet, but the pictures I've seen made it look a little porous.  But hey, tea certainly stains TEETH!  Of course, that's living bone... ABS plastic?... polymerized organic... stuff? We'll see.  I wish I had some of the material to test with.

#7 2007-06-20 13:54:48

radi0gnome
Website

Harazda wrote:

I wish I had some of the material to test with.

Don't hardware stores sell plumbing made of ABS? I think it's ultra cheap too. I'm just guessing, but I think your idea of staining with tea will work.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#8 2007-12-27 17:04:02

Jason Castner

I wish I had a pic for ya, I used a black permanent marker to color my yuu.  At first it was shiny and looked like a marker colored the flute in.  3 years later the marker has faded and rubbed in.  The flute looks like an antique now untill you hold it and look closely. 

I wish they made a yuu shakuhachi in one piece, not two.  Then the flute would be very hard to crack or break.

I also wish they made different sized yuu's.

jason

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

#9 2007-12-27 18:07:39

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Jason Castner aka Komuso wrote:

I wish they made a yuu shakuhachi in one piece, not two.  Then the flute would be very hard to crack or break.

jason

I was about to say the same thing, but you said it first. Amen!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#10 2007-12-27 22:40:46

edosan
Edomologist

For the record:

• Lacquer thinner will dissolve/remove/lighten applied Sharpie.

• Shellac uses denatured alcohol as a solvent, most of which blows off, but it ain't non-toxic.

• Judicious application of quality epoxy will render the yuu a nobekan.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2007-12-27 23:17:16

jamesnyman

I agree that epoxy will make a Yuu into a nobekan...like all my other shakuhachi, but what is the purpose of using the "Sharpies" and Shellac. It is, after all a plastic shakuhachi with a great sound. Why try to make things what they are not. Just enjoy them as they are...or not, I guess.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#12 2007-12-28 08:37:49

Rayofwind

I believe it is the eye of the beholder reflection. Many like the aged look in a Shakuhachi, I have seen flutes coated with black, brown, etc... If I was to own a ABS flute (which I have been giving thought due to backpacking 8-10 times a year). I would love a 2.9 one piece myself. I would try the Tea or coffee stain myself. Please let us know how this works out. Nice job with the marker though.  Ray

#13 2007-12-28 10:55:15

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I gave a few lessons to Frank Serpico (the real one, not Al Pacino) and he made PVC shakuhachi and used a blowtorch to give them a distressed look. They were pretty nice. Unfortunately he didn't want to do formal study.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#14 2007-12-28 12:52:23

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

I gave a few lessons to Frank Serpico (the real one, not Al Pacino) and he made PVC shakuhachi and used a blowtorch to give them a distressed look ...

It does make you wonder, though, what personal experience Mr. Serpico was drawing upon to think of using a blowtorch on some thing to give it that 'distressed look'?

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#15 2007-12-28 14:06:33

radi0gnome
Website

Tairaku wrote:

jason

I was about to say the same thing, but you said it first. Amen!

I remember a thread that discussed the possibilty of making longer Yuu's. One thing that I thought may make it viable is that the casting of a real shakuhachi isn't really necessary because the bore of the Yuu isn't cast, that's made obvious by the fact that the hole is off-center at the bottom of the Yuu. So, all you'd really have to do is get a PVC or ABS tube with the right tapering (I'm assuming that the Yuu is a tapered bore). As it is, the outside bamboo look of the Yuu is just decoration, without it the Yuu could probably be much easier to make, but might not sell as well. So the question would be if you could make 2.4 tapered plastic tubes cheap enough to meet the limited demand due to it's not looking like a shakuhachi.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#16 2008-01-14 20:52:14

Gene

Have you guys seen the Hane Shakuhachi, by Shutendouji in Japan?

He is a world famous artist who also loves the Shakuhachi, and he makes an artistic masterpiece out of an ordinary Yuu shakuhachi.  I have two which he custom made for me, all the way down to 24k gold dust/urushi nakatsuki.  True masterpieces.  The word "Hane" represents "light bird feather", and he decorates his Yuu Shakuhachi with real bird feathers, imbedded in the Urushi - among other things.   I don't know how to post a picture on this forum, but if you'll email me, I'll be glad to send you a photo of my two Hane Shakuhachi.  And you can reach him at http://translate.google.com/translate?h … 26hl%3Den.

Cheers,

Dr. Gene Neill
Mayo, Florida

#17 2008-10-31 04:53:36

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

I wish I had a pic for ya, I used a black permanent marker to color my yuu.  At first it was shiny and looked like a marker colored the flute in.  3 years later the marker has faded and rubbed in.  The flute looks like an antique now untill you hold it and look closely. 

jason

I am quite curious about a picture of your flute. I am thinking of coloring my Yuu as well.
What alternatives are there to the permanent marker to paint a Yuu (or ABS plastic).
I want it to look natural or 'Shakuhachi-like'; no pink or purple one's wink

greetings,

Bas

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#18 2008-10-31 11:48:29

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Bas...

I did one waaaaaay back when, at http://www.hollowbamboo.net/Inga/yuu.htm .  Sorry the pics aren't bigger... that page has been around a while and I deleted all of the larger versions.

A normal stain will work on the exterior; just pick one that suits the color you are after.  You can clear-coat the whole thing when you're done, but if using a solvent-based lacquer, it will soften the exterior to about 1mm deep as it drys--it reverts back to rock hard once fully cured.

If you wish to coat the bore, I would recommend a good water-based lacquer vs. a noxious, solvent-based, like I used at that time.  Easier on the bore, easier on the lungs.  Urushi is fine, as well, if you're not sensitive to it.  It will brighten the tone a little, which I liked.

#19 2008-10-31 18:52:05

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Hi Derek van Choice,

Your shakuhachi yuu work looks very nice! You mention stain in your post, English not being my native tongue...but a stain is a dirty mark to me...but I guess you mean alcohol soluble powder dye stains (the material you use to give wood a darker color)?
I will start on the outside...maybe later I'll try more advanced stuff like the clear lacquer or inside lacquer...I just got my Yuu.
greetings.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#20 2008-11-01 18:40:37

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Bas,

Thanks!  Yes, it is just a standard "wood stain" available at most any hardware store.

#21 2008-11-01 20:12:57

edosan
Edomologist

Derek Van Choice wrote:

Hi, Bas,

Thanks!  Yes, it is just a standard "wood stain" available at most any hardware store.

I believe [correct me if I'm wrong] Derek means oil-based stain, as opposed to water or alcohol based, which
I also think would work better, as it dries more slowly, and can be 'worked' on the surface more easily. Has
some odor, which dissipates when the stain is cured.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#22 2008-11-01 20:24:25

Derek Van Choice
Website

Concurrence.  If a clear-coat is to be applied after the stain, I guess the key is to be consistent with the base of the stain and finish, i.e. both water-based, or both solvent based so there is not adverse reaction between them.

#23 2008-11-01 22:52:31

edosan
Edomologist

Derek Van Choice wrote:

Concurrence.  If a clear-coat is to be applied after the stain, I guess the key is to be consistent with the base of the stain and finish, i.e. both water-based, or both solvent based so there is not adverse reaction between them.

FWIW: I've had no problems putting water-based clear coats over oil stains (not on Yuu's, just in general); the stain must
be completely cured, though: 24-48 hours, depending on local humidity conditions.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#24 2008-11-02 13:53:50

Derek Van Choice
Website

Sonica abbondanza!

#25 2008-11-02 20:29:53

edosan
Edomologist

Egad!

Isn't that Tairaku, the Tasmanian Mountain God?

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

Board footer