Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-20 14:02:05

peteross
Website

Urushi and Mold problems.........

Like Eric, I've had a tough time with urushi sensitivity too.  Though I'm selling most of my flutes and getting some without urushi to be on the safe side, there is a possible alternative.  Pure shellac.

George Miller suggested I use pure shellac as an odor barrier.  I think if one or two thin coats are carefully applied over the urushi it could seal in the fumes.  I'm in the process of experimenting with this now and it seems promising.  Of course adding anything to the bore is potentially risky.  I'm not sure I want to mess with very expensive flutes.  Vamos a ver as they say in Mexico.  We'll see.

I also discovered mold in my flutes, so am dealing with both problems and trying to seperate them.  Shakuhachi players need to be aware of the mold probem. We humidify our flutes to prevent cracking and often create a very serious mold problem.   Mold is a real health hazard.   All this needs to be looked into.  Bleach, baking soda, boric acid and peroxide can all kill mold.

Lots of good info on pure shellac and mold killers online.

All this hassle just to play a simple bamboo flute.

Stay healthy,

Peter

Last edited by peteross (2007-01-20 16:01:34)

#2 2007-01-20 18:45:28

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Urushi and Mold problems.........

Hi Peter.

I have found that a dilute solution of Chlorox bleach (say 1/4 of a one cup measure filled to the top with water) works well for
mold mitigation.

As most of the mold tends grow in the rhizomes of the root end, I just scrub it lightly with an old tooth brush and wrinse it
right off and let dry. Never had any color changes doing this, but I wouldn't leave it on for very long. Seems to work quite well.

Of couse, I live in Utah, which helps.

Some flutes grow mold more readily than others, too, I've noticed. I have two Ichijos, and I've never seen a speck on either of them.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-01-20 23:27:10

PSTL

I'm confused! Nothing new there! wink

It's my understanding that urushi is completely harmless once cured. True or false?

Peter, Is your situation unique or can everyone expect a reaction to urushi?

I also have read that mold will not form once urushi is applied. True or false?

What type of mold typically grows on bamboo?

Edosen, What do you attribute the lack of mold in your Ichijos.? Do you care for them differently than your flutes that have had mold?

Are there any other ways to kill mold besides using clorox, that wouldn't harm the flute?

I would welcome any other comments on this subject. I've read quite a bit on this, but it now appears that there's reason to be concerned.   

Thank you.

#4 2007-01-21 00:28:42

JeffMartindale
Website

My experience in discussion with makers is that many will not be affected by urushi allergens when urushi is given 2-3 months of drying; however, a few individuals will develop increasing allergies with time. Urushi can continually give off fumes, some forms of urushi possibly more than others (cashew urushi). Being an art collector and consultant at one time, I knew artists who developed severe allergic reactions to  the paints that they used over a period of decades. One famous painter even uses a NASA developed suit to paint. His reaction is rare but happens with artists, like it must for some shakuhachi players with urushi.  As for mold, my experience is frequently playing the shakuhachi and swabbing the bore after playing to reduce mold from growing. I have noticed mold to grow on wet paper towels that are stuffed inside shakuhachi for storage or transit. However, I use a dampit to help control moisture amounts and direct and prolonged moisture contact directly with the bore surface.  I have never had mold in my flutes I use a dampit and "air out" regularly with playing. However, mold discussion is a good one to have on the forum since it can wreak havoc on people's health.

Last edited by JeffMartindale (2007-01-21 09:09:00)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#5 2007-01-21 11:02:27

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

i have a few students, Eric is one of them, who over time developed an urushi allergy. When he purchased new flutes, there was no problem at all. Then a few years later the problems developed from flutes that were well "dried" as he has been practicing on them diligently for years.  Another student, Ted, recently developed the same situation. 2 year old flutes that he has played are suddenly causing problems for him.  Not fun!

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#6 2007-01-21 11:37:45

edosan
Edomologist

PSTL wrote:

I also have read that mold will not form once urushi is applied. True or false?

What type of mold typically grows on bamboo?

Edosan, to what do you attribute the lack of mold in your Ichijos.? Do you care for them differently than your flutes that have had mold?

Are there any other ways to kill mold besides using clorox, that wouldn't harm the flute?

All my flutes, including the two jinashi, have urushi (or lacquer) in the bore, and I've never had any mold growth
in the bore, only at the root end around the rhizomes.

I treat all my flutes the same, keeping them in a heavy long poly bag with a small  (1x1.5x.5 inch) piece of synthetic
sponge dampened (not dripping) placed into the open end of the bag, which is then folded over so that the sponge
doesn't make direct contact with the bamboo. The bag is then sealed with a rubber band. I always wipe the bore after
playing, and put the flutes into the bag with the root end toward the open end of the bag.

The one flute that might get mold (doesn't, these days) has rougher, longer rhizomes on the root end, which I think
gives the mold a better growing environment. I had an earlier Monty Levenson flute with longer rhizomes which tended
to get mold a bit as well. The Ichijos are quite a bit more finished, even though the rhizomes are prominent.

The chlorox method will do no harm, as long as you don't use it straight or leave it on a long time (and likely wouldn't
even if you did).

Question:

Do you have mold? Yes or no?

If yes, use the chlorox and reduce the moisture in the storage environment.

If not, relax. Don't worry, be happy.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2007-01-21 19:20:37

dstone
Website

PSTL, my $0.25 on mold...  having experienced and possibly solved a problem...

Vancouver + CarefulSwabbing + PlasticBag = JinashiBore + Mold + Odor

JinashiBore + Mold + Odor + DilutedTeaTreeOil + Rinsing = WashedAwayBlackness + HaltedGrowth + NiceSmell + PermanentMoldStains

Thus, I never store flutes in plastic anymore except when they travel.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-01-21 19:21:03)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#8 2007-01-21 21:35:52

peteross
Website

Thanks everyone for pitching in.

Urushi drys overnight and fully cures in a few months or one year at the most, but even a 10 yr. old flute can smell and affect some.  Mold can definately grow in the bore of a flute coated with urushi.   No question.  It happened on two of my flutes recently.   It was my fault for not using a cleaning cloth at times and leaving moisture in the flute.  I did this because I moved to a dry place.  Better to risk a cracked flute than illness.

As far as others expecting to react after years of playing, I doubt it will happen to many, but some.  Lot's of factors involved including the immune system of each player.  I should add that I made flutes for over 20 years.  Lots of hardwood and bamboo sawdust, glue and lacquers etc.  It was probably acumulative, and added to my sensitivity.  By the way, the environment is totally polluted.  There are hundreds of chemicals that didn't used to exist.  Almost everyone I know is allergic to something.  Tell your kids to go into evironmental medicine.  That's the fututure........

I was fine for over 20 years then it just got progressively worse.  I may still be able to play older flutes.   I'll have to see.  What I thought was an urushi problem on two flutes turned out to be mold.  However, there is no question that urushi on flutes even 10 years old can affect me strongly.   Red urushi seems worse than black for some reason.

Here's something really scary.  I read an article recently about how the environment is changing, esp. air quality and how urushiol in poison ivy will THRIVE on the worsening conditions.  I don't want to be around for that!  First I become allergic to the lacquer in my shakuhachi and then urushi takes over the fucking world!

It's important to determine if the problem is mold or urushi or both.  Then find solutions.  Like I said, I think pure shellac is a real posible solution for those of us allergic to urushi.  That or stop playing flutes with urushi, and switch to jinashi without lacquer.  Then avoid mold.

Mold can be killed in a lot of ways, but, you have to be careful about what you use.  Some people might react to bleach etc.

I'm experimenting with ozone now.  Ozonating my flutes and drinking ozonated water.  I have some gigs and recording dates coming up and am determined to play again.   In the meantime I'm learning jazz piano to stay in music.  I don't know how people go through life not playing music.  What do they do all day???

I'll keep you posted..........

Peter

Last edited by peteross (2007-01-21 21:52:21)

Board footer