Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Instructional material for a beginner

#1 2007-01-22 21:33:22

Alice

Instructional material for a beginner

Hi
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this request.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend books or CDs for learning to play.  I am just beginning and don't have access to an instructor at this point.
Thanks!

#2 2007-01-23 03:46:28

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Instructional material for a beginner

Hi Alice,

Check out the playing guides and books section of Monty Levenson's site, www.shakuhachi.com.  I'm guessing that the Taniguchi book for learning how to play the flute may be a good choice as I have one of his other other books of pieces, which has great notation, all written out in hand by Taniguchi.   Christopher Blaesdel has a good introduction to the basics of shakuhachi and the history of the instrument entitled The Shakuhachi:A Manual for Learning.  If you're interested in learning the Tozan notation, John Kaizan Neptune has an introductory book listed there too.   All three of the above come with cds.   I think Masayuki Koga also has a guide for learning the shakuhachi but I've not seen his books; perhaps someone else on this site is familiar with them.  I initially learned using a Japanese language text called shakuhachi dokusho that I got from Tokyo's Mejiro shakuhachi shop but with no teacher an English language guide would probably work out better smile

#3 2007-01-23 06:31:04

KenC

Re: Instructional material for a beginner

Welcome Alice,

I'm still a beginner palying almost a year and  have used both Koga's Book/CD and Neptunes Tozan Guide.  I play about 50/50 Kinko /Tozan.

I began with Koga's program before i found a teacher.  I found it nicely arranged and the progression of simple tunes works well so you actually feel like your playing:-) (Once you get the basic 5 notes down)It's broken into several levels and some interesting history and theory and background.  It also includes the notation for 5 Sankyoku. An very good guide i thought.

When i found a teacher i ended up learing Tozan as most of the players (as well as my teacher) in my immediate area are Tozan.  I found the Neptune guide and CD good.  His excercises get technically more demanding sooner than in Koga's program and there are only a few Songs.  There is actually only One song that doesn;t require knowledge of Hanon (half hole/meri/cheu) notes.  But the excercises are quite good.

Lots of information from very knowledgable people here, so do scan through the posts and search the site for other
Best of luck,

Ken

Last edited by KenC (2007-01-23 06:31:26)

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Instructional material for a beginner

Board footer