Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-28 18:13:49

kyoreiflutes
Website

My new 1.8!

EDIT: Ken was more than kind enough to host for me for a few days until I get an FTP, so here goes.

This is my 6th flute, but this is my first root-end. I've made Tonkin flutes before, but I felt it was time to make a "real" flute. It's a piece of Chinese Red Sheath Bamboo. It's a little bit smaller in diameter than I usually like (it's almost exactly the same as the Yuu), but I tend to like super-thick flutes, myself. This thing plays really nicely, and even gets up into the 2nd octave without much trouble. Of course, the flute can get up there easier than I can, lol. I'm amazed sometimes how nice I sound on this flute; I really "feel" it when I play it. It's a Jinashi, by the way, with no Utaguchi inlay; I don't really believe in them, unless the maker is exceptional at doing it.

I also have a 2.0/2.1, but no pics as yet. I'm working on getting Bamboo with a bigger diameter from my supplier, but Xmas is coming, so that will have to wait. I'm working on some bigger diameter Tonkin flutes, since it's so difficult to find good thick Madake how I want, but maybe after I go to Japan this year.

Anyway, I hope this link works, and thanks for looking! Any comments, good or bad, would be much appreciated.

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie2.jpg

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie3.jpg

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie4.jpg

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie5.jpg

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie6.jpg

http://mujitsu.com/images/eddie7.jpg

-Eddie

And my thanks again to Ken!

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2005-11-30 00:30:51)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2005-12-19 14:54:28

bluespiderweb

Re: My new 1.8!

Hi Eddie,

Your 1.8 looks real nice!  How are you getting along with it by now?

I've never played a root end shakuhachi yet, so I don't know how it would differ, but I like the idea of a slightly conical bore that the root end would give you.  Does it seem different to you, in tone or playability?  Or, maybe there are too many variables to accurately say that one thing will produce such a dramatic difference, like being a root end, to make much of a difference?

Anyway, nice workmanship.  I'm not a flutemaker, yet, anyway.  I would like to try it, though.  I imagine the bamboo is a problem in finding a good source, especially at reasonable cost.  Especially for someone with little experience such as me-you don't want to go ruining good Madake, or other nice bamboo, if you can find it!

Last edited by bluespiderweb (2005-12-19 15:02:30)

Be well,  Barry

#3 2005-12-20 01:27:48

steven

Eddie,

Looks great. I'll congratulate you one your photography as well, it is hard to photograph instruments well.

Steven

#4 2005-12-21 18:13:48

gmiller

Eddie - you can certainly be proud..... fine looking shakuhachi.. - Enjoy

George

#5 2005-12-21 20:26:39

kyoreiflutes
Website

Geez, guys, I'm touched. This is what I consider my first "real" flute, so it's nice to see people liking it. I do this for myself first, but it's always good to get input from people that know something about it.

I'm going to start making flutes part-time in the Spring, if some connections happen for me in the near future. Hopefully, I'll be using Madake soon. I can't wait. I really enjoy making flutes.

Blue...playing the root-end is different than I thought it would be. In fact, after making a few flutes that weren't so great but playable, I got the Yuu, and really liked it. However, after using the Yuu, I got used to the weight of the thing, and I guess, somewhere deep inside me, I assumed that a solid root-end would be almost as heavy. I've tried one high-end rootend, and it's nowhere near as heavy as the Yuu, so that's good to know. Anyway, while my non root-end flutes were definately playable, my root-ends are much more playable by friends of mine who couldn't play the other flutes very well before. Most of my friends can now play a little melody, whereas they could barely get a note out on the old ones. I also had a fairly pro player here in Seattle try the 1.8 last week, and he got a lot of sound out of it. He really liked it, and is going to reccomend me to his friends.

So, to answer, yes, the tapered end really does give it much more focus than I thought it would, and the flutes project fairly well; It was funny to hear this guy playing so well on my flute, and it was MUCH louder than I thought it was. I guess we can't hear it the same way that people who aren't playing do. The notes glide much smoother from note to note, but I also gave the holes decent undercuts, after studying pics and diagrams for some time and figuring things out.

Funny, Steven...I didn't think the pics came out all that well, but I'm a perfectionist with that stuff. But after seeing them up, I do like them. Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to set something up for next year that will let me take better pics easier.

I've been thinking lately about the idea of "transmission". Most people don't think of the teaching of a skill from one person to another as "transmitting" it; they generally think of it as "learning" it. However, in Japan and a lot of other cultures, they do use the term Transmission quite a bit in regards to learning. In the study of Shakuhachi, our Masters Transmit thier knowledge to us. I suppose we regard the word as a reference to Satellites and the like; they transmit information, usually in digital form, to recievers. There's no Master sitting in front of a Student, it's just Data.

Anyway...I think it's interesting that I made my first Shakuhachi, quite playable, before I ever held one in my hands. I spent a few weeks researching them on the Net, found some rudimentary info, took lots of mental notes, and made my flute. It wasn't very in tune, but it played fairly well. The next few were made after I did a little more research, and found better bamboo. Only three of those were seriously playable, and two not so much, but nice "folk" flutes nonetheless that my friends now own.

During all this, I was always fighting the idea of buying a pre-made flute from Perry Yung; I asked that poor guy a million questions, and went on an on (as you see I am wont to do), and he was very helpful. In retrospect, I should've approached him as an interested maker, trying to learn how I can, but I really thought I was going to get one of his Flutes. He has some nice flutes, don't he? wink  So, I ended up talking to Ken LaCosse, and asked HIM a billion questions, and, to my true sadness, lost out on a flute of his that I didn't have the money for. But Ken really helped out, and that PDF of his is the best thing I've ever found. If it weren't for that guide, I wouldn't be where I'm at now.

So, I figured that it wasn't in my financial cards for me to buy a flute; rather, it could be cheaper to MAKE good flutes, and it would fufill my ever-present need to create things with my hands. So, I got this bamboo on eBay, and, while thinner than I'd have liked, it was fine, and very cheap. And so you see it. I'm going to try and record some MP3s on it, and I'll see if I can post it somehow.

See? I have all kinds of blahblablah time on my hands, and I type FAST.  wink

Thanks agains for all the nice comments!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2006-06-06 07:38:00

Toffe

Looks awsome! Now I HAVE to lean to make these things!
Thx for the nice photos and the inspiration.

#7 2006-06-06 19:17:35

kyoreiflutes
Website

Thanks, Toffe! I wish you all the best in your endeavors. Let me tell you something really awful, though, and maybe this will help you out: When I made my VERY first flute, just 2 years or so ago, I made it so the utaguchi was on the bottom lip side, and the end was plugged. I got something one could call a sound out of it, but that's about all it was. I realized I just hadn't researched it at all, just seen a few pics.

So, all in all, yu're doing fine. wink Let me know if you have any questions or anything. While certainly not an expert by any means, I've learned a lot about how NOT to make flutes!

-E

#8 2006-06-06 20:28:56

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Hey Eddie,
the flute looks BEAUTIFULL.
Great job man.  You can ask a nice price for that flute.
how is my flute comming;-)
Geni

#9 2006-06-07 02:03:06

kyoreiflutes
Website

Still working on it, working on some sizing issues and tuning. Slowly but surely.

Thanks for the comments... I'm not sure I'll ever sell it, although I guess I should, since I'm jobless, lol.

Anyone need a 1.8?  wink

-E

#10 2006-06-07 21:59:11

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Hey Eddie,
You should keep the flute man.
Its your first (good one I mean) flute. It must have special value.
I still have my first flute.

Geni

Board footer