Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-25 22:36:59

kyoreiflutes
Website

Where to get Bamboo these days?

Well, it looks like my local bamboo pole supplier has decided to carry nothing but awful, split stock. And my other little root-end supplier has gone belly-up, and he had little to begin with.

Looks like Mejiro has stopped selling not only regular root stock, but thier smoked as well. Too bad, those were nice pieces.

I'm honestly considering getting some patch somewhere to grow Madake, but I'd be shocked if that ever happened. I don't know if I really want to wait 3 years before my first harvest, either.

My other alternative is to go on the Ramos trip this year and collect whatever I can carry and ship. That's pretty expensive for this year, however.

Is there anyone growing, selling, or getting thier bamboo from a good source these days? I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks for any help or advice.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2007-01-26 03:45:28

caffeind

Re: Where to get Bamboo these days?

Tom Deaver has plenty of root end stock and would be happy to sell some. Prices range from 10000 to 25000 yen.

#3 2007-01-26 15:24:01

kyoreiflutes
Website

I've written Tom, and he doesn't seem to be too up on the email. I can't say for sure, but I never got an answer to two emails, so I didn't push it. From what I understand, he lives out in the boonies?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#4 2007-01-26 19:11:50

caffeind

As far as I know, he checks his email fairly regularly. Try him again. He lives in southern Nagano.

#5 2007-01-26 20:40:40

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Eddie...

If you are unable to find any, I do have some great madake for sale at http://home.earthlink.net/~soundwave1/Inga/madake.htm ; presently there is a 1.6, 1.8, 2.4, 2.6.

smile

Derek

Last edited by Derek Van Choice (2007-01-26 21:05:10)

#6 2007-02-16 14:19:13

KODOAN.COM
Website

I just moved to the Southern Oregon coast (largely because of the excellent bamboo grown here). 

The climate here is nearly identical to northern (north of Tokyo) Japan with many flora and fawna that is known nowhere else outside of Japan. 

The RKR Bamboo plantation in Coquille, Oregon is the usual meeting place of the Pacific Northwest Bamboo Society and they have over 140 temperate species of bamboo (including Madake').

Here's the complete info:

Carol Lee Nelson and son Len E. Nelson

e-mail:  RKRBAMBOO@MSN.COM

57098 FAT ELK ROAD   (1.85 MILES DOWN FAT ELK ROAD FROM HWY 42 S.)
COQUILLE, OR  97423

PHONE:  1-541-396-4356

THEY HAVE OVER 28 ACRES OF BAMBOO AND HAVE BEEN THERE ABOUT 20 YEARS.

they are THE place to get bamboo outside of Japan.

#7 2007-02-16 14:37:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

Kodoan, thanks so much! Another forum member and I were recently talking about going down to Oregon to see what we could find. This will be invaluable, I'm sure.

Thanks!

-E

#8 2007-02-18 10:11:29

costademaria
Website

by the way after 2 months i will go to india  and one of the reasons is to find bamboo and a bamboo supplyer. a friend of mine will give me the address of some people who harvest for a bamboo factory. i would like to harvest it my self and prepare it. i would be very happy to send from there some packets to you fellows for a small fee. i dont think of making me rich from this. i will post it as a different post when i am already there/if i find a net of course. if sb interested send me a mail better now and with what you need. i will try my best to find and send it. if i have a wish list would also be more concentrated about this. i dont say it would be perfect but i say  for example 20 chosen by me
cut and fire cured poles for the price of one from japan.what do you think?

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#9 2007-02-18 21:54:20

kyoreiflutes
Website

I'll be curious as to what kind of bamboo you'll be getting form a place like India. I was just re-reading about the conditions that Madake has to grow in to make it "perfect", or at least, desireable, for shakuhachi. It has to, I believe, grow on a hillside, with not-so-great soil that wouldn't make for good planting in general, windy conditions, etc. So I'm curious as to what both of us will find in our respective groves. I hope we find good pieces.

-E

#10 2007-02-18 23:41:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I'll be curious as to what kind of bamboo you'll be getting form a place like India. I was just re-reading about the conditions that Madake has to grow in to make it "perfect", or at least, desireable, for shakuhachi. It has to, I believe, grow on a hillside, with not-so-great soil that wouldn't make for good planting in general, windy conditions, etc. So I'm curious as to what both of us will find in our respective groves. I hope we find good pieces.

-E

I have looked around for bamboo in Sri Lanka and it's not good stuff for making shakuhachi. Maybe in the north of India there would be better conditions. Japanese madake seems best, even the Chinese madake is not as good. Anybody know why?

This is like how the best cigar tobacco comes from Cuba.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#11 2007-02-19 06:26:23

costademaria
Website

from what i know for plants the idea is when at harsh conditions it doesnt grow too much and it goes definetely stronger when there is a lot of wind and winter. from the net and a good book about bamboo i have at home i found that the only one bamboo which can be nailed without splitting is the calcuta /calcutta?/ bamboo found in india. as we plan going to the north/himalayas/ may be i will find some and try it. though i suspect that is much thicker to have this quallities, the real life will show. in fact i have some 4 month plants planted at home but is early to tell what would happen

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#12 2007-02-20 13:23:26

kyoreiflutes
Website

Are you going to be able to cure it over there? There's no chance of you getting it back over here if not. Just a heads up.

Brian, I've wondered about the Chinese Madake too. It seems to grow the culm differently, like it narrows earlier than the japanese or something. I don't know. I'm guessing it might be a combination of growing conditions and some variance in its genetic makeup.

The conditions in Oregon can be very similar to Japan, and the area the grove is in appears to be hilly. So we'll see.

-E

#13 2007-02-20 14:37:53

costademaria
Website

i think there would not be any problem of making a fire here,so i cure it and wax seal it to slow the uneven drying

#14 2007-02-20 16:58:54

dstone
Website

costademaria wrote:

i cure it and wax seal it to slow the uneven drying

Please tell me about wax sealing.

I've never heard of this applied to bamboo.

For comparison, my experience of post-harvest steps are:
1. heat and wipe over fire (aburanuki) -- some water and oils removed, turns light greenish-grey
2. hang in sun for a few weeks (hiyake?) -- turns yellow to brown (more moisture lost, I assume)
3. store under cover for a few months or years before building -- very slow, if any, visible changes and moisture level eventually stabilizes

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#15 2007-02-20 18:32:30

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yeah, you certainly have to cure it for awhile outside of the fire. Don't forget, the officials at the airport will want to see each root, and, even if you think the roots are "dead", the officials might not agree with you. In fact, covering them with wax might make it harder to get them through.

I believe it was our very own Ken LaCosse who lost thousands in root end culms when going through the airport last time. Not good.

Not to tell you you shouldn't do it, just a heads up. There's so much to think about before harvesting outside the U.S.

-E

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2007-02-20 18:33:39)

#16 2007-02-20 18:34:41

costademaria
Website

i know it from working and drying exotic woods. i suggest you read thoroughfully this http://www.answers.com/topic/wood-drying  . the idea is very simple-to make the water go away from our piece at the ends,from inside and from outside at the same rate/this is not posible but we can try to get closer/ . you cut the bamboo and from the ends of the piece the water is evaporating out at too great rate to equilibrate the forces inside.so we seal it with wax. as we look at the structure of the bamboo we also can get to know that from inside evaporates faster than from outside thats why the curing-to speed up the outside. we drill also small holes at the nodes inside.but this makes the drying faster? yes but equal which is more important in our case. if we have only one node we will not drill it.   ok,you have to know that i dont sell shacks because i am learning,but i make from a green bamboo for a week  or two completely dry playable shack
1.drill the nodes , cure , wipe with burner/not big but  not small/
2.bind
3 wax
this three at the same time
4. a week at home near the oven.binded and waxed it would never brake
5.cut the utaguchi,holes...if i like it i cut the binding,very gently heat it,then bind it this time properly and finish the holes and the tuning
then after a week of playing i tung oil it with polimerising tung oil/i unbind it again/ or a simple oil/leave it binded/,depends ....  of course its not a finished shack but i am not selling this, just experimenting. not one ever brake/even from the thrown at backyard which i occasionaly put them inside near the oven trying to hear the crack,but no..
but this is me, if i give my girlfriend the torch she would burn the house :-) i mean i always try to feel the bamboo. i am working with gloves and rotating very fast the bamboo mean while regulating the torch,cooling the bamboo,then again....you know what i mean

#17 2007-02-20 18:55:47

costademaria
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Yeah, you certainly have to cure it for awhile outside of the fire. Don't forget, the officials at the airport will want to see each root, and, even if you think the roots are "dead", the officials might not agree with you. In fact, covering them with wax might make it harder to get them through.

I believe it was our very own Ken LaCosse who lost thousands in root end culms when going through the airport last time. Not good.

Not to tell you you shouldn't do it, just a heads up. There's so much to think about before harvesting outside the U.S.

-E

i am not quite sure if we will not go with my 4x4/still 1 month to decide/ but in both cases i will send it as a package and not carry it with me. as for the waxing i mean fast preparing it as described before/almost clean roots,drill the nodes,cure,wipe and wax only the ends+ fast bind/. if i am not 100% sure that it will arrive ok i will not put any effort

Board footer