Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#26 2008-01-06 12:42:06

Dewdrop

Re: Seiza position -- Bench or no bench?

Hi Everyone -

I'm new to this site - and have been playing shaukhachi on and off for a few years.

Interesting discussion about seiza.  Here is another perspective.  I've been teaching yoga for many decades.  This postion in hatha yoga practice is called Virasana -"The Hero or Warrior Pose".  The illustrious BKS Iyengar states that regular practice of this pose can develop your strength and endurance.  It also increase your capacity for deep breathing. 

Like any practice - doing challenging physical poses is not something to just jump into or take lightly or push.  If you haven't grown up doing it - don't expect to just be able to "do it".  But the correct introductory practice will allow your body to slowly adapt no matter how large or small you are. 

If your hips and knees are tight - those ligaments will tell you.  If you just tough it out - you will injure yourself.  It won't take too long if you are diligent about it.   Just be consistent - like my teacher shakuhachi Nyokai is always telling me - sound familiar?

I'm sure a little experimenting will show you that seiza is great to allow full expression and movement of the hara and diaphram.  I think this is largely due to your hips being tilted forward slightly.  As a side note, it's also a great pose to sit in for digestion if you have eaten too much.

However, being 63 years old, I can attest that it is good to have been practicing this one a while - including my old days in Shotokan Karate doing seiza on hardwod floors.

Some good yoga books will help you go slowly and train your body correctly.
One good one is "The Path to Holistic Health" - by BKS Iyengar.   It has a great section on how to begin the Hero Pose if you have stiff hips, knees or ankle joints.  You use rolled towels, folded towels and bolsters.

I suggest you see the book - but basically you place 2 bolsters parallel to each other on the floor.  Kneel across the bolsters.  Keep knees together - feet 12" apart.  Place rolled up blanket between calves and hamstrings.  Place folded banket under your buttocks on top of the bolster for more lift.  Let ankles hang off back of bolster.  Sit with back straight. Place palms on knees.  Look straight ahead.  Stay in the pose 30 to 60 seconds.

It will probably help to work on some other related hip, leg and knee postures.  In the long run, I think this will enhance your playing and your whole life.

Namaste,
Dewdrop

Board footer