World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-01-30 12:02:40

chuck091956
Website

Flutes longer than 1.8?

Hello All,

I've been using a 1.8 flute for a couple years. I'm concidering a longer flute for Zen meditation. Of the longer flutes which would have a nice low tone but not be crazy long?  2., 2.2, 2.4...?

Oh... my hands are good sized so within reason I don't see a problem with that.

Chuck

Chuck Peck

#2 2007-01-30 13:13:05

dstone
Website

Re: Flutes longer than 1.8?

chuck091956 wrote:

Of the longer flutes which would have a nice low tone but not be crazy long?

Hi Chuck. 

I also enjoy longer flutes.  Nobody can tell you what your hands will fit comfortably except you and your hands.  So why not build a PVC flute in a few of the lengths you're considering?  Pipe is cheap (acquire some a little thicker than your 1.8).  Instructions and links to them are plentiful here and on the net.

The key is to understand that, proportionally, the ratio between the holes and also the ratio between the first hole (or any hole) and the blowing edge remains the same as your 1.8.  This is approximate, but plenty good enough for a meditation flute.  With a ruler and calculator, you can take it from here.

Another important tip for longer flutes is that holes do not need to be in the same line.  The offset down the flute's axis is primarily what matters but left/right offset doesn't matter.  Left/right hole offsets on long flutes are pretty much fair game.  You'll see suggested left/right offsets in pictures of long flutes but use whatever falls under your fingertips.  Only your hands matter.

Anyways, before you drill the holes on a really long flute, mark them.  Now lay your fingers on the hole markings and put the pipe end up to your lips.  Move your fingers around.  Make sure you can relax them on the "holes" without straining.  Hold that position for a while and relax into it.  Make sure you can move your fingers at will in those positions without feeling tendon or any other pain.

It's also important to note that in the longer lengths, the "2.4" or "2.8" system of labels doesn't always mean the actual length in shaku and sun.  But this is not important for a meditation flute.

Good luck!  Stay relaxed.  Warm up and stretch hands, fingers, wrists, etc.  Don't play long flutes with cold hands.  Be careful.  Hands are important.  Err on the conservative (short) side, because something that seems -possible- to play may not be a good idea to play for long periods of meditation.  On the other hand, if you remain relaxed while playing, your hands may gradually be able to accomodate a slightly longer flute than you initially thought. 

Also consider that at some length, a flute may be long enough to rest on the ground when you play.  This can be an advantage because if your hands are not supporting the weight of the flute in the air, you will be holding less tension in your forearms, wrists, tendons, and fingers.

Final thought...  For meditation, a flute with no holes can be nearly as long as the hardware store has pipe and fittings.  wink

Blow on!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer