Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-07 20:31:42

Sean

Full Circle

When I first started playing, all I wanted was a clear sound, but all I got were overtones and empty wind.

2 years later, all I want is overtones and empty wind, and all I get is a clear sound.

Back to the beginning.

#2 2007-02-08 07:02:43

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Full Circle

Somehow that reminds me of fractals: http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/f … uddhabrot/

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2007-02-08 07:18:41

radi0gnome
Website

Also, whisper tones, those jumpy tones you get when blowing very lightly, are not only good for your tone, but you can really get lost in their little world. I gave it an hour or so last night. At first I had to force myself not to resort to normal blowing, but eventually I relented. I don't know if it's zen, but definitely some kind of altered conciousness.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#4 2007-02-08 10:19:53

edosan
Edomologist

radi0gnome wrote:

Also, whisper tones,...definitely some kind of altered conciousness.

So true. After you get into it, you can create entire 'compositions'.

Altered states of consciousness are our friends...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2007-02-08 12:55:44

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yes, and you can even hear how the pitches change ever so slightly when you change your fingering in broad strokes. It's subtle, but I love it. It's a great sound overall.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#6 2007-02-14 22:23:28

D.J.

I originally fell in love with the didgeridoo because of the enormous variety of tones and harmonics. I later wanted holes in the didge to play actual notes. I entered the world of the Native American Flute. One night, while deep in meditation, that silent but definite voice said, "please play the Shakuhachi." I asked why. She responded, "Because I never got to play it when I was here."

I bought my first Shakuhachi about 2.5 years ago. It has the beauty of a good NAF and the incredible abilities and indefinable sounds of the didge, but with a voice from another space and time.

I don't linger on why I get the messages I do. I simply go forward into my state of emptiness and wait. Now the waiting is filled with music that makes at least two of us happy.

If my “Zen” lacks true emptiness, it pleases me, because it brought me to the empty space of the Shakuhachi and the fullness that is created when my breath ignites us to life.

D.J.

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

Board footer