Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-13 01:53:02

Hans van Loon
Website

Breathing, ji-nashi vs. ji-ari

As I play ji-nashi , as well as ji-ari flutes, I noticed that a different embouchure is required for both types of instruments. I am playing a very big bore ji-nashi kyotaku 2.5 and several ji-ari shakuhachi, 1.8 , 2.5 . I am trying to combine playing both instruments and hope to hear from people who do the same, and maybe some practice suggestions on the breath. I already studied the breathing techniques on Andrew McGregors site and on the site of Alcvin Ramos. My ji-ari teacher notices when I played ji-nashi, so what I am looking for is a way to switch so to say from ji-nashi to ji-ari mode and vice versa. I have noticed that some way it is difficult to switch from one embouchure to the other. May be there are players with the same experience or with useful tips.

Kyotaku, the ZEN flute with the warm and serene sound

#2 2007-04-24 21:12:32

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Breathing, ji-nashi vs. ji-ari

Hi Hans.

The ji-nashi and ji-nuri flutes requires very different breathing techniques, as you have notied. The main difference is that because the ji-nashi is not smooth inside as the ji-nuri, the breath may hit nodes, return  or make different patterns along the way down the flute. The breath blown through a ji-nuri just goes through the flute without any hindrance just as if it was going though a metal flute.

It is therefore important to be using a softer breathing techniques when playing ji-nashi. The kind of strong breath that would be desireable when playing ji-nuri does not work here. It will hit the nodes too hard and in fact less sound can be heard. You can play with a strong breath on ji-nashi, of course, but it is still a very different technique - I find.

There is also a big difference between the two, that the ji-nashi mouthpiece is usually shallower than ji-nuri flutes' mouthpieces. This to me made it even harder to switch between ji-nashi and ji-nuri (or between ji-nashi and Western flute) than the difference in the bore. The embouchure required for a ji-nashi flute with a shallow mouthpiece is much more relaxed than the embouchure required for a ji-nuri.

All this may have changed now though because many ji-nuri makers are making ji-nashi shakuhachi and some create ji-nashi with a deep cut mouthpiece, not much nodes left and also the hole at the bottom end of the shakuhachi are now often made big now. These ji-nashi requires a different brething techniques than ji-nashi played by monks during the Edo period. So, it also depends on how your ji-nashi shakuhachi has been made.

So, finally to come to your question about how to deal with the change between the two flutes.
I can't give you much of a advice than: Just keep on playing the two flutes and try to switch between them as much as possible. At some point you will get so used to that switch that your body will remember automatically how to blow into the particular instrument resting at your lips.
I had the same thing when I began playing ji-nashi shakuhachi. I had been doing my entrance exam preparations for the conservatory in Copenhagen on flute, and found it very frustrating when I couldn't play the flute after playing ji-nashi. Today I can switch between ji-nashi, flute and ji-nuri without any problems. My body automatically knows how to blow.

So, all this for saying: keep on blowing! Both of them!

Kiku x

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2007-04-24 23:54:15

dstone
Website

Kiku, I'm also wrestling with this so thanks for the encouraging words and sharing your experience. 

I started just a couple of years ago on long, fat jinashi flutes (what I still truly love at this point) but recently decided to take on 1.8 jiari and some repertoire and technique appropriate for that type of "normal" flute.  Of course, I'm frustrated by my two embouchures -- a step forward with one feels like a step backwards with the other at times.  But there are small breakthroughs of co-existence.  My teacher (Alcvin) encourages me and it's obvious by his playing and others' that mastery of both types of flute is possible.  Another friend and teacher, Larry Tyrrell, rightly points out to me, though, that by doing this I'm essentially trying to climb two mountains simultaneously and that I should set my expectations accordingly!  Truth.  The path is criss-crossing and conflicting at times.  smile

Forever a beginner,
Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-04-25 01:48:24

Hans van Loon
Website

Hi Kiku,

thank you very much for your advice, gives me more confidence
I am already getting used to switching the flutes, and getting more trust that it is possible to learn to play both flutes
it seems indeed if the body automatically remembers what flute you are playing
I must say that playing ji-nashi flutes feels much more relaxed and less tensed then playing ji-ari instruments
the problem at the moments is not the ji-nashi flutes, but the tension required for the ji-ari ones, but as I hear from many people that they learned  it, there is still hope

thanks a lot

Hans

#5 2007-04-25 04:51:38

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hans van Loon wrote:

I must say that playing ji-nashi flutes feels much more relaxed and less tensed then playing ji-ari instruments
the problem at the moments is not the ji-nashi flutes, but the tension required for the ji-ari ones, but as I hear from many people that they learned  it, there is still hope

90% or more of the time I play jinashi flutes. Regardless of jinashi vs. jiari I find it much more relaxed to play long flutes than short. Maybe this is part of your situation?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2007-05-01 04:46:01

Hans van Loon
Website

I think that may be part of the feeling too indeed
but I have a ji-ari 2.5 too, but its bore is thinner and so it blows much more like a common 1.8 as the 2.5 kyotaku
On the ji-ari I have to keep my lips more tensed and use more facial muscles to blow
on kyotaku it feels as if I don't have to tense at all, just relax and let go
though the sound is much softer on kyotaku as on 2.5 ji-ari
I cannot play very loud on it
the sound is soft and warm

one day I al gona try some other big ji-nashi flutes to feel how they blow

#7 2007-05-14 20:47:42

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hello!
I am happy that many people are doing both and experiencing progress on changing between the two. As I have hardly played ji-nuri shakuhachi, I do find the tension of the face muscles hard. But I know this is just habit as the same type of tension is necessary on the Western flute. Apart from the tension in the face, I find the long ji-nashi relaxing because I always play them resting on the floor. (I know you don't, Brian). The first time I experienced problems in my hands and arms was, when I finally after 13 years of playing got my first 1.8. I had to carry that one!
Anyway, good luck with it all! Both ji-nuri and ji-nashi have their positive sides, so I think it is nice to be able to play both well (I play ji-nuri badly, but wish I could play them slightly better).

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer