Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » a question about a superficial crack at the root area

#1 2007-02-15 16:15:14

costademaria
Website

a question about a superficial crack at the root area

hi, i would be very gratefull if sb helps me with this,cause its not quite clear for me. how to repair a superficial crack starting at the root area? i mean it can not be bound there because of the root and would be ugly to put such thing on an old flute without bindings/one piece 1,9 without urushi/ . i can put some epoxy with bamboo dust, or use wood repair paste the same colour but how to do it and keep the value of the flute. and there are some chips around the f. holes, whats the method of repairing them? or just leave them.  what i mean is not how to repair it but what method to choose to keep the antique look and value of the flute.thanks

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#2 2007-02-15 16:35:21

dstone
Website

Re: a question about a superficial crack at the root area

Hi costademaria. 

Filler or glue in a superficial crack won't prevent it from opening.  And putting that stuff in there might actually make the crack harder or messier to properly close up if/when it does open into a functional crack. 

Are you able to post a photo?  Maybe it's superficial enough to not affect the value at all.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-02-15 16:57:21

costademaria
Website

hi,there are some images here,i still dont have it,won it at ebay yesterday and as i dont have experience professionally repairing... it looked very proportional to me and decided to buy it. its 1,9 may be you have seen it.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho … p;format=0

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

#4 2007-02-15 16:59:17

costademaria
Website

and i know about the glue which leads to cracking.may be some kind of elastical silicone based thing?

#5 2007-02-15 19:49:25

radi0gnome
Website

I remember seeing that one on Ebay. IMO, that crack on the bell isn't a problem. It's obviously an old piece of bamboo and it's doubtful that it will open up. I'd think that your biggest challenge is going to be the utaguchi. I only brought one old flute to playing condition, I used some of that fake wood kind of epoxy to fill the chips in the utaguchi, however Perry Yung uses superglue and bamboo dust on a couple flutes in his BLOG, so that's probably the more accepted way of doing that. I'm not sure, but those wormholes might be a problem. I've got a djembe with insect holes that apparently have living insects in them because they keep pushing out sawdust. I've tried different insectacides and can't get rid of them.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2007-02-16 08:08:41

costademaria
Website

that were my thoughts also

#7 2007-02-16 22:31:53

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I remember seeing that one on Ebay. IMO, that crack on the bell isn't a problem. It's obviously an old piece of bamboo and it's doubtful that it will open up. I'd think that your biggest challenge is going to be the utaguchi. I only brought one old flute to playing condition, I used some of that fake wood kind of epoxy to fill the chips in the utaguchi, however Perry Yung uses superglue and bamboo dust on a couple flutes in his BLOG, so that's probably the more accepted way of doing that. I'm not sure, but those wormholes might be a problem. I've got a djembe with insect holes that apparently have living insects in them because they keep pushing out sawdust. I've tried different insectacides and can't get rid of them.

If you want to get rid of insects, freeze them. Put the djembe (or shakuhachi) in sub-freezing temperatures. This works for cigars too.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2007-02-17 02:20:21

costademaria
Website

never thought of that but seems very good idea and about the superglue and the dust . i just wanted to tell that here in the shops we have 2 kinds of wood fillers.one of them is an expensive and is composed of very fine particles and sands for a seconds and the other one seems to be superglue with wood dust/from the smell and the touch when dry/.  once i had an old car for for construction work and closed a small hole with the second  one. but it broke after a few days. i just say this , that to my experience the car body filler is the strongest filler i know and stronger than epoxy glue also,if it glues to metal and plastic  and is resistent to car body vibrations and forces is good enough for me, in fact i use it for many things.today i will try and color it one potion and mix with dust other potion and will glue some cracked bamboo i have, a little test.will post the result here. in fact will cut 3 rings of the same bamboo,make one split and seal with epoxy, wood filler, car body filler. without 1 to one comparing is not worth speaking.also  will go to make some space in the freezer:-)

#9 2007-02-17 03:29:16

kyoreiflutes
Website

Costa, I'd wait and see about that crack before you go filling it up with anything. I'd be shocked if it ever really opened, unless it's cracked on the inside, too.

And you don't need to use a freezer, that's just for the bugs in the djembe. wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2007-02-17 09:56:29

radi0gnome
Website

costademaria wrote:

never thought of that but seems very good idea and about the superglue and the dust .

Yes, I had never heard of bamboo dust and superglue before seeing it on Perry Yung's Blog. The internet is a great source, because when I first read it, it said CA glue, It took another google search to find out that CA glue is the same as superglue. I guess mixing glue with sawdust is common, because I know repairers of historic European flutes have used a white glue and sawdust mixture to repair cracks for years. The "fake wood" epoxy I used was called Loctite Five Minute Epoxy Putty. It comes labeled with other names (maybe different brands) that suggest it being used for repairing broken wood objects. It comes as a cylinder shape of stuff a putty consistency with blue on the outside and gray on the inside. I think that what happens is that when the blue and gray substance gets mixed, it's like mixing the the two parts of regular epoxy. I'm under the impression that it is just epoxy with some kind o fiber added to give it a putty-like consistency. The biggest problem I had with it is that the amount needed for an utaguchi is so small that it was difficult to get a piece small enough that had the gray and blue parts mixed right. I was also very careful to not get the stuff on the bamboo, I used masking tape to prevent that. The tape prevented the bamboo from getting messed up when I took a file and emery paper to the utaguchi too.     

costademaria wrote:

a little test.will post the result here. in fact will cut 3 rings of the same bamboo,make one split and seal with epoxy, wood filler, car body filler. without 1 to one comparing is not worth speaking.also  will go to make some space in the freezer:-)

That's a good, scientific way to go about it, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. As far as making room in the freezer, like Kyroeiflutes mentioned, it's only if there are live insects inside, like in my djembe. My djembe of course won't fit in the the freezer, but fortuneately here in the US New England states, we've got sub-freezing temperatures right now (I never thought I'd be saying that). Thanks for that suggestion, Brian, it's certainly worth the effort to try it and I'm glad you mentioned it at a time during the year it's so easy to try.

Here's a link to Perry's Blog. There's a reference to the CA glue and bamboo dust mix on the front page right now, but you'll have to dig through the archives to find the example with before/during/after pictures.

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/

#11 2007-02-17 11:43:57

costademaria
Website

thanks,soon will do the tests with pictures. as for the freezer i was joking and will not touch the crack/for now/. so many years it survived for sure the latest without any care, so will survive more. from my little experience there is bamboo which cracks and bamboo which whatever you do to it will never crack. as i dont have a supply of rootend bamboo i make flutes from the near root end part of 5m poles which i buy from a near garden center. they are left almost outside,from 100 only five dont have cracks and from these only one serves to make a shakuhachi. but believe me, i burn it with the torch, drill it, leave it outside and then inside near the stove, rain,sun and it never breaks. a real survivor

#12 2007-02-17 20:00:45

edosan
Edomologist

Be advised:

Both of those products, the two-part Five Minute Epoxy Putty and the auto body filler (usually sold as "Bondo") are quite toxic, especially
in the pre-mixed state. The toxicity is probably reduced after cure, but I'd be loath to make anything I'd put in or near my mouth with it.

Epoxy is notably toxic, in any form, and Bondo is made of polyester resin, the same basic stuff used to lay up fiberglass.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2007-02-18 02:34:09

matthew

I have spent some time working in violin shops doing repair for a living and I have had great results mixing dry artist's pigment with superglue.  You can buy natural pigments (especailly earth tones) and make a strong, hard filler any color of the rainbow...
Matt

Last edited by matthew (2007-02-18 02:34:56)

#14 2007-02-18 09:05:14

radi0gnome
Website

Thanks for the warnings about toxicty. I'm not very concerned wth what I did with the utaguchi considering it's such a small amount and cured, but in the future the CA glue seems to be the way to go. I was a bit confused by the instructions with the epoxy putty as it was because on one hand it had a warning to avoid contact with skin, but on the other said to knead it before applying. I tried latex gloves for the kneading but it was too sticky and resorted to just using bare hands.

#15 2007-02-18 09:53:34

costademaria
Website

when i started learning to make shacks i was to impatient and even once /seeking for the knowledge of course/ i was playing and checking the sound with a slow drying metal epoxy utaguchi,changing the shape and depth and listening to the sound. i ended with an head ache and a bad taste in the mouth. and i have never done it after that again. but with my hands used to hard work i touch almost anything without problem. in fact i found in ebay for about 5-9$ a molding plastic which heated to 60C can be shaped in any object, then sanded drilled and if not happy heat again and... this teperature of melting can be achieved under the sun in the summer or with an hairdryer for seconds. i found it very useful

#16 2007-03-06 15:45:08

costademaria
Website

and just to share some buying experience with you people i want to tell you that this 100 years bamboo turned to be a great looking enormous fat shack but as i expected it doesnt play at all, i mean at all. the bore was in fact rectangular. some body wanted to make a shack and then disappointed from the attempt just threw it in some corner/for a hundred years. today i repaired the utaguchi with epoxy and smoothed the bore to round shape. at least the finger holes are perfectly in tune/it plays B/ and are well undercut. i like it very much but there would be a lot of work to turn it to sth usefull. at least i am brave as there is nothing to spoil just to make better. in fact i bought it very cheap and for now will think of it as a raw pice of bamboo .

#17 2007-03-06 16:59:19

radi0gnome
Website

Thanks for keeping us updated. At least you got something that has some potential, if only for practice working on. I purchased one on Ebay relatively cheap that was advertised as "vintage" but when I got it you could still smell the newness. It was extremely light-wieght bamboo and the holes seemed to be drilled at random, I think it was made to be sold in airports to take home as a decorative souvinier. Maybe it was you who asked the seller of it about the hole placement, someone did, I should have payed attention.

I've got another along the way that should be something I can at least work with even if it doesn't play well, I would've taken Perry Yung up on his offer for the raw bamboo but I felt as if I needed something a bit less raw.

How do you get inside them to do work on the bore?

#18 2007-03-07 06:01:42

costademaria
Website

hi, for all the instruments needed look here http://www.mejiro-japan.com/system/index_e.php?c_id=51   and soon i will post some pictures of the most important instruments and tools home made and very cheap. may be they will serve to s.b. cause the real ones are quite expensive

#19 2007-03-20 08:41:22

radi0gnome
Website

radi0gnome wrote:

I've got another along the way that should be something I can at least work with even if it doesn't play well,

Yes, I replying to my own post, but just as costademaria kept us updated on his Ebay purchase, I thought I'd do the same with mine. All I had to do was humidify it and then bind it and it's a pretty good playing flute. It's a short flute, only 17 inches. Some of the notes in the second octave are hard to play in tune, but it plays a full two octaves. The pics are still on Ebay, if anyone has any comments on what I've got here (I find the bottom of the flute unusual) I'd appreciate it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 1&rd=1   

So far, from Ebay I got a jiari I like a lot, I just wish I didn't use superglue to repair it, one that I'm fairly certain was never designed to be an instrument but a decoration (I think the holes were put in randomly it's so out of tune) and I think I paid to much for that decoration, one from Perry Yung at a nice discount from his original asking price that I'm very satisfied with, and now this one. 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

#20 2007-03-26 10:08:15

costademaria
Website

if it sounds ok is ok then. i think that the notes on the second dont play easy cause the utaguchi is quite deep but may be this was done for a more vibrating ro. check it when you are in a good playing condition and if so start filing the blow end/not changing the angle/ bit by bit untill you achive the easy 2 registers./first repair the cracks cause from blowing you will change the moisture content and may be other cracks will occure.
and so far can tell you that definetely i find good the sound of the old bamboo. i am sure yours will have a very good sound when you repair it. search for the mellow/to vibrate in the sweet/ cause this is the real sound of an old bamboo.

#21 2007-03-26 10:39:01

radi0gnome
Website

Costa, thanks for the comment. You're right about the utaguchi being deep. I don't see how filing it will correct that. Making the blowing edge a little sharper might help some. I'm thinking some of the problems with the 2nd register (and it's just one note in the 2nd register that's flakey) could be because of air leaking from the cracks. I've got lots of bindings on it now, and when it was heavily humidified it was playing well even in the 2nd register. Now that it's dried some, that note in the 2nd register is misbehaving again and the general tone of the flute is losing quality too.  I just inquired about how to seal the cracks on a different thread in the "flutemaking" section here.

I agree, this old bamboo is nice.

#22 2007-03-26 10:45:20

costademaria
Website

i just gave you there a proposal to find telephone line, 2$ 5meters at any chinese shop. it has steel inside, would not stretch and will not harm the bamboo caouse of the plastic cover. damp it hard ,bind it hard, dry it like this then when dry with this new form take the wire off  and do what you like/ now you will have enough time to decide what to do it cause its dry in this new shape

#23 2007-03-26 10:46:31

costademaria
Website

but do not blow untill you finish it!!!!!

#24 2007-03-26 11:06:20

radi0gnome
Website

costademaria wrote:

i just gave you there a proposal to find telephone line, 2$ 5meters at any chinese shop. it has steel inside, would not stretch

I thought the stretchiness of the fishing line was a good thing because it's what allows the binding to put more force on the flute than what you use when you apply it. Also, if the flute shrinks a little when it dries with the stretchy fishing line around it, the line is still applying force because it was stretched, and will still be stretched but just by a little less. If it was some kind of non-stretchy binding material, if the flute shrunk a little after drying, the binding will become loose.

#25 2007-03-26 11:23:32

costademaria
Website

yes but if you dont blow it can stay like this forever. your flute has learned one shape.cracked . teach it another,stabilise it with a wire and- oil and bindings, polymers without bindings or .....
simply start from the bore

• Index
  •  » Flutemaking
  •  » a question about a superficial crack at the root area

Board footer