Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-05 14:48:08

Bogert

Konnichiwa

Hello,
      My name is Chris Bogert and I have been playing/making shakuhachi for about 2years now I think (something like that at least).   I'm 22, an artist and senior college student going to Evergreen state college in Olympia, Wa.  I having been learning to play and make the shakuhachi on my own since I started, and it has been great.  I don't know of any teachers in my area, but would love to have one. I also go back to Spokane, Wa to visit family and friends on breaks, so if there are any teachers over there let me know.  Well anyway, I've been making jinashi flutes for awhile and selling them for very cheap to fund my flutemaking adventures.  My newest jinashi flute came out real nice and I'm working on a jiari in which I'm trying to cast the bore.  I'll post the plan for that one to see if anyone thinks it will work ok on the making section of this forum.  Well besides the shakuhachi I paint mostly with watercolors, do woodblock prints and try to make ends meet with the money I make selling them.  I'm also learning Japanese right now and plan to go to Japan to study shakuhachi this coming year (if anyone knows a good maker/player preferably outside Tokyo, don't like big cities, that I might be able to work with drop me a line).  I have been studying Japanese painting, woodblock printing history for about six months and plan to study shakuhachi history next, can't wait.  Outside of the art world I like to backpack, hike, camp, and that's about it. 

Jai Sri Krishna,
                                                                                                                      Chris Bogert

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2005-12-05 15:24:31

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Konnichiwa

Welcome to the Forum! I think I know your work from eBay? I'm in Seattle, so I notice when a maker is "local". Not bad. I make flutes too...if you're ever up near Seattle we shoudl meet up. At least one other member here is from Seattle, although I'm trying to get more locals on here...we're a little slow in Seattle, though.

See ya, and welcome again!

-Eddie

Kyorei Flutes

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2005-12-05 19:53:44

Bogert

Yeah I have sold flutes on ebay, but it has been awhile.  I think my flutes are getting better and maybe I can start to sell them as more than beginner or zen flutes.  I really only have the shakuhachi yuu to compare mine to, so I'll probably keep selling them as beginner flutes until I have a really nice quality flute to compare mine to see how I'm coming along.  I started to make them so I could offer people a cheap source for a nice looking rootend flute to see if they wanted to continue.  Everyone seems to like them so far.   Yeah if I'm ever in Seattle that'd be great to actually meet someone else that likes the shakuhachi, I'm kinda alone on that here.  If your ever in Olympia your welcome to stop by too, I live on campus at Evergreen.  Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jai Sri Krishna
                                                                                                         Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#4 2005-12-05 22:12:33

steven

Hi Chris,

I second Eddie's welcome. I'm also in Seattle. He and I have been trying to work out a time to get together, it's not easy but after playing alone for several years the idea of meeting other flute players is pretty cool. Sounds like you are having a good time making flutes, more power to you!

Peace,
Steven

Board footer