Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-27 15:12:31

Lorka

Shakuhachi Greetings

Hello All,

I have been prowling around this site for some time now reading as many posts as I can.   Derek Van Choice told me about this site, and I am hooked.  Thought I would say a little about me as an introduction to everyone.  My name is Matt, 31, just finished up an MLIS degree and now am looking for work as a Cataloguer or Librarian.   Right now I am in Montreal, but I hope to find work in BC, where I would take lessons from Alcvin Ramos.   

Last year I heard Kifu Mitsuhashi's volume 1 of shakuhachi music and I fell in love with it instrument then and there and resolved to learn this expressive instrument.  Well, I got myself a Yuu about 7 monts ago, and could not make a sound, not even a squeak.  It sat on my shelf for a good time, as I thought I was totally unable to do anything on it.  My probelm, I now realize, is that I was trying to be too forceful and demanding.   

Starting this January I picked it up again and started spending time with it, and I have been making good progress.  It's only been about a month and a half of playing now, and I cannot always make a note, but gradually the instrument is revealing itself to me, and I find the process very relaxing.  The shakuhachi is a shy and instrument it seems, and you have to be patient with it.     

I am interested in the meditative, Honkyoku styles of music that I have heard, and would like to get a Bamboo flute, as I agree with many of Tiraku's posts about the nature of bamboo.  I have been thinking of the chinese root end ones, as I am on a limited budget, but am not sure if those are compatible or not with formal learning (as I want to get lessons if possible, depending on where I end up working) Well, anyways, once again, hello all.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-02-27 17:05:26

dstone
Website

Re: Shakuhachi Greetings

Greetings Matt.

Sounds like you're embracing beginner's mind...  I need to re-learn that lesson at least monthly.  I've only played for 2 years and the humbling moments are constantly there, keeping ego in check when it starts to get judgmental or proud and proclaim "progress".  wink

Always nice to have another aspiring shakuhachi player in BC, so I hope your quest for work in BC goes well.

And Volume 2 is at least as good as Volume 1.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-02-28 05:38:39

Alex

Hey Lorka!

Thanks for that introduction! I think it's great that people say a bit about tehmselves so we get to know a bit more of each other.

I think it's great that you continued with teh Shakuhachi even you encountered so much difficulty at teh beggining, it really shows your devotion to it and I m sure it will be something very positive in your "bamboo path".

Regearding Chinese bamboo, I'm sure that there are more informed people her to asnwer but from what I've heard and from my experience you should not have any problem learning with a Shakuhachi made of Chinese bamboo, as I think the important thing is what the maker makes of the piece of bamboo and not so much the bamboo itself. Some people say that the material it is made is not important, in that sense I also agree with Tairaku, I have a wooden shakuhachi and a bamboo one and although you can extract beautiful resonating notes from both the "feel" of playing one and the other is quiet different, the impression that I get when I blow the bamboo one is of flexibility and softness while I find wood much more rigid. But bamboo is still bamboo whether in Japan or China, I guess there must be some differences but not as important as to hinder your learning progress. Apparently Watazumi used to play sometimes on very low quality bamboo, and as John Coltrane said (thanks Tairaku for that great quote!) "you can play a shoestring if you are sincere". So if you buy a Shakuhachi, just make sure it is made properly (I've seen some flutes being sold as Shakuhachi on ebay that they look a bit suspiucious...) and enjoy the feel of such an amazing material (for a testimony of how amazing material it is just check the "Respectful Request for Flutemakers out there" thread by Pablo63, a sensational story!)

Salud!

Alex

P.S: By the way Darren, that's such a cool avatar!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#4 2007-02-28 08:15:57

Kerry

Hi Matt,

I work in the Circulation Department in the Nashville Library system. shakuhachi and books alright!!.....One of Ken's chinese root shakuhachi would be a great bamboo intro for you. I've got two and they play very well.

Welcome, Kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#5 2007-02-28 14:26:42

D.J.

Concerning your statement: "I am interested in the meditative, Honkyoku styles of music that I have heard, and would like to get a Bamboo flute, as I agree with many of Tiraku's posts about the nature of bamboo."

I have been playing a set of Perry Yung's flutes for a couple years now. All lacquered. But I recently had and event change my entire thinking. Below is a letter I wrote Perry about it:

Perry,

I think it is most interesting that the only one of the Shakuhachi you have made that literally spoke to me was a natural bore. I believe that says more than first meets the eyes.

All your Shakuhachi have life. They play with a breath that moves. But this one was partly speaking on it's own.

I think I have told you that there is this small bamboo grove at the Theosophical Society book store in Seattle. Every time I go there, I step into the grove and sit. Walking into the grove is like no other experience I have ever felt. LITERALLY, the second I step in, time stops. And the bamboo does whisper. Very ancient stuff. There is a mystery to the plant I never expected. I have spent hours sitting there, trying to see. But the energy there is vastly different than my world, even the mystic world in which I have one foot in at all times.

So it was not just a message in the visions that struck me. (I actually got visons when I started to play this natural bore Shakuhachi) It is the fact that the bamboo that spoke had its heart still intact. That, all by itself, is screaming at us. Letting us know that we made a terrible mistake in our human path.

I will tell you that from now on, any Shakuhachi I buy from you will not have lacquer. It would be an act of treason to me to do so.

D.J.

Last edited by D.J. (2007-02-28 16:40:09)

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

Board footer