Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-05 16:58:56

Lorka

Bore Design Question.

Okay, this will sound like an odd question, but for some reason it has been on my mind for the last month or so. 

In recent months I have really begun to see the beauty of the Shakuhachi  bore.  I often look down the bore of my Yuu, and find it very aesthetically appealing.  When looking down the blowing end to the tapered bottom end the hole looks like the shape of an eye at the end of a tunnel (which seems like something of a metaphysical feature when you get down to thinking about it).  An eye at the end of tunnel, I wonder if that was intentional.  Anyways, down to my question.

Looking down the barrel of a Shakuhachi made me think about the bore of a rifle for some reason.  I should add that I am by no means a "gun" person and am opposed to violence.  The barrel of a rifle has a rather beautiful spiral pattern etched into it, called rifling (I may have misspelled it), that allows the projectile to spin through the tube and exit in a stable trajectory.  I was wondering if there was ever any such thing with the Shakuhachi.  Would a rifled bore make a difference, either in a good or bad way?  Has anyone ever done such a thing, or would it not make a negligable difference?  Just curious.  Please forgive what might be a silly question.

Matt

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#2 2007-03-05 18:18:22

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Bore Design Question.

No, I don't think it'd have any measureable effect on the sound. It'd be difficult to do, too. It's just for the solid mass of a bullet to be more efficient in its flight. Air doesn't need to swirl.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2007-03-06 02:27:39

Ambi

Hi Lorka, I can defintenly see here you are comming from, I like my Yuu too. But I also have a couple of others to compare it to. I can spend ages  looking down the bores, one is a "nealy Jinashi" that still has visible node rings on the inside, that I believe will have much more influence on the sound produced; then there is my "Myoan" a smooth bore like the Yuu, but the Urushi surface adds to the  beauty. I also like to get a Laser pointer and shine it down the bore - give it a go!
Ambi

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."

#4 2007-03-19 09:34:34

costademaria
Website

hi, i hope you will not think i am a bad person telling you this  but looking in the bore of my yuu after the first exaltation passed away i found two very obvious to me things. i found more but we speak just for the bore
1. the connection of the two pieces was not perfecrt fron inside and there was some 1mm gap/or less but in my eyes was bigger cause i think giving 100$ for plastic the plastic should be perfect/
2.the bottom hole of yuu is not centered for the reason of easier making the plastic with a machine. its much more straighter than the original flute. thats why it looks a kind of offset looking at the bottom. and if you pay better attention there is not a smooth curve there/5cm up inside from the bottom/

i corrected this so- i took away the rings/the black ones/. glued the flute. made a new ring instead of two. remade the curve filing and filling looking the inside diameter there to stay exactly the same then laquered the bore and payed special attention untill the gap dissapeared. another thing is that i also changed the angle of the utaguchi but without changing the depth! of course the shakuhachi sounds better
but thats me. dont do this at home/especially if you dont have enough patience and self trust/ :-)

Last edited by costademaria (2007-03-19 15:27:21)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

Board footer