Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-06 01:37:12

Furiousgeorge

Shakuhachi and Tai Chi

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but since it pertains to the shaku's effect on the body and energy, I figured this was as good a place as any.

Now I am a novice at best at tai chi (chen style), but I am a dedicated practitioner of chen, as well as a few styles of kung fu and a basic understanding of tae kwon do as it pertains to sparring. Having only blown a shakuhachi for the first time yesterday morning, I could not be newer to that discipline, so if what I have to say sounds a bit rough and unformed, that's because it is.

Immediately upon trying out a shakuhachi for the first time (more specifically on first sound) I was blown away by the simplicity of the breath involved. Blowing hard in several different fashions got me nowhere for a few minutes before I half sighed and got my first note. It was through this and several more minutes of clumsy fumbling that I came to a realization: the shaku breath is not only akin to the tai chi breath, it's practically identical. My friend, teacher (and far more capable tai chi practitioner) was with me and experienced the same thought as he produced some far nicer sounds. I bought the shaku on which i made my first note, and have been playing it constantly since. I have been blown away by its depth; both musically and meditatively. I began to discover embrouchure (an entirely foreign concept to me, having never played a woodwind), and the necessity of good posture for good breath. The more I discovered the more I drew parralels to the martial arts.

I'll break here and try to explain, the shaku requires the same ingredients as good Tai chi: relaxation, a calm breath, good posture, body position memory (form for tai chi embrouchure and finger placement for shaku), and above all a calm, reflective mind. After playing and thinking about my shakuhachi for a day and night, I went to my first chen class since playing. I got a good long session in right before class, and the result was amazing. I and my teacher and even fellow classmates noticed a marked difference in my tai chi. I was more relaxed, movements and breath sequences that had been difficult before suddenly made sense. My sense of my chi was improved probably threefold. I was thrilled, and understandibly impressed at the difference just a day had made.

What's more, when I got home, my shakuhachi playing had improved. I'm sure this was at least partially due to my day of practice, but it was a pretty good step even from right before class. I have a recording (made with GarageBand) of myself on the first night and again on the second night. I can't believe the difference. The embrouchure and tone quality/pitch have all improved greatly. I am getting a very clean (and much more versatile) sound as compared to before.

I'd like to stop here and point out that I don't take much personal credit for these advances, nor am I trying to sound impressive, I am writing this to not only share my excitement with a group that I hope will understand where I am coming from, but also to suggest that anyone here who hasn't already, try out a martial art and see if you can draw the same parralels. I am very excited to continue exploring this very deep and rewarding instrument and see how it develops alongside my martial practice. I can tell this is only the beginning.

This post ended up about ten times as long as I originally envisioned it, guess I got a bit carried away there, but thanks for offering a listening ear, please feel free to give any thoughts or comments and/or stories about your own experiences with this concept.

One excited beginner,
Kevin

All Presence is born of Absence

#2 2007-03-06 02:38:29

dstone
Website

Re: Shakuhachi and Tai Chi

Hi Kevin.  Interesting topic.

Though I've been out of regular practice for a few years (gah, more like seven years), I was a long time student of long form (108 movement) Yang style tai chi chuan, along with push hands, chin na, xing yi chuan, and ermei da peng chi kung.  I share your opinion that bringing tai chi principles into shakuhachi practice is a natural fit. It's yet another way to manifest solid, natural, proven principles -- this time in sound instead of movement.   Relevant principles that come to my mind are sensitivity, body awareness, belly breathing, packed breathing, soft displacing hard (and vice versa), intention, movement through relaxation, posture, visualization, large effect through minimal exertion, etc. 

However (and not to reduce the significance of shakuhachi practice at all) I'd say tai chi principles can and should be applied to every aspect of daily life, all activities, etc.  e.g. I hope there are guitar and sax and vocalist folks seeing the tai chi light, also!

Or in the end, maybe this is all just my new age or intellectual projections -- it could simply be that 1) discipline and 2) mindful practice of -anything-, without any particular or shared underlying principles, is the key to everything.  :-)

My $0.25.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-03-06 02:58:09

onebreath

Hello Kevin,

I have been practicing tai chi - mostly northern wu style, for over 25 years, and started learning the shakuhachi close to a year ago.  I have experienced a similar thing to what you described.  And it makes sense since relaxation and breath control are so important to both of these arts.  I recently switched shakuhachi teachers and am now fortunate to be a student of Michael Gould.  He asked me to begin my practice sessions with chanting, followed by long tones on one of my longer flutes (currently either a 2.2 or a 2.4), and only then the 1.8.  That has definitely improved the quality, outcomes, and best of all enjoyment of my practice sessions!  Earlier this week I happened to practice the northern wu long form about 30 minutes before I began my new shakuhachi practice routine, and was pleased to find that this sequence also had a beneficial effect on my shakuhachi practice.  I intend to try reversing the sequence - shakuhachi practice followed by tai chi practice, to discover the effect, although I am guessing it will be the same!  ;->

What would be an appropriate closing for this post?  How about . . .

Stay rooted!

Best regards,

Steven

#4 2007-03-06 06:57:06

D.J.

Shooting longbow: Posture, breath, repeated form. Instinct shooting with slowed heart, stopped mind and both eyes open focused on the unusual, not the target. The unusual? For humans, that means not the zero point at center. Eyes open and the mind allows the body to think the arrow to its proper place in a natural flow of movement – a slow repeated dance. That proper place for the arrow being flight. When the body flies with the arrow, it will find the target.

I found that the Shakuhachi is much the same. The breath is the arrow in flight. Are shooting long bow, playing shakuhachi and Tai Chi the same element? The same function? I think so.

D.J.

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

#5 2007-03-08 21:56:36

Furiousgeorge

Wow, some very cool responses here

I am starting to see more and more that my experiences thus far are symptoms of a bigger phenomenon: the shaku is a great teacher for all worthy pursuits. The same lessons can be applied to many things, we just see the lessons that are best suited for what we do.

thanks for the responses guys, and keep them coming

All Presence is born of Absence

#6 2007-03-14 05:23:21

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

My usual Saturday afternoon routine for the last few years has been teaching several students shakuhachi just after an aikido class, which usually leaves me feeling relaxed and seems to give a boost to my energy level as well as to my long tones on the flute.  I'm guessing that any kind of exercise that gets your heart pumping and leaves you feeling refreshed rather than tired out afterwards is likely to help benefit your shakuhachi playing.  I imagine that the relaxation and centering you get from activities such tai chi or shooting longbow must be similar.

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2007-03-14 05:28:29)

#7 2007-10-03 14:38:12

dstone
Website

My tai chi teacher is also a shakuhachi master!  Okay, not really, but here's an update...

I started studying tai chi about 15 years ago, fell in love with it, and then took a long break after losing an authentic teacher.  Tai chi teachers are, of course, everywhere.  More plentiful than shakuhachi.  But like my new shakuhachi practice now, once I had a taste for "good" teaching with principles back then I wasn't interested in fluffy good-intentioned "tai chi" crap.

My own laziness kept me from seeking more diligently, but a master teacher was again revealed to me several months ago.  So I'm back to practicing.  Ah, the feeling of coming home to well-trodden trails!  Had to sharpen the machete a bit for the undergrowth.

Back to shakuhachi... my point of sharing is that the amount of shakuhachi wisdom given in my tai chi instruction has really surprised me!  Of course, my teacher knows nothing of shakuhachi.  But some examples...
* forms exist for a reason, but in the end, they don't really
* practice
* stripping away unnecessary adornments
* creating a vocabulary
* practice
* moving/playing with that vocabulary in an authentic way
* bringing the right (blank) mind to practice
* best/true/useful movements or sounds generally come via relaxation and adding only minimal force or tension
* lots of woodshedding techniques, introspection, and stepping back
* more practice
... it's like two lessons in one!

Sorry for the long story.  Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised...  All meditation and sincere work is the same work, isn't it?

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer