Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-08 05:05:38

Rosa

How does playing the shakuhachi effect the player?

My frieng and I are doing a research project about the shakuhachi. We managed to answer most of our questions (we even used some information here, thanks!), but still we haven't found any information about how the player feels. I thank you for wasting your time on us ^^

#2 2007-03-08 11:40:19

dstone
Website

Re: How does playing the shakuhachi effect the player?

When I play good, I feel good.  When I play bad, I feel bad.  And that is my religion.

Apologies to Abraham Lincoln.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-03-09 02:38:16

John Roff

Hi Rosa

Some feelings I experience when playing Shakuhachi:

When I play, I am sometimes drawn into a place of not quite knowing where the time went, which has a feeling of completion about it.

When I play for people, and they like it, something happens and I start to play more beautifully. I feel sometimes that God takes over at those times and 'plays through me' to bless the people.

When I approach the instrument expecting my playing of it to fix some problem or bad attitude that I'm carrying, I am usually disappointed.

When I approach with an open attitude to see what happens, and play, then often I feel elated.

When I play alone in a natural place, I usually feel more whole, and am able to relax.

I hope this is of value to you.

Shalom

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#4 2007-03-09 05:21:32

Rosa

John Roff wrote:

Shalom

Wow, people actually do check where I come from. Cool big_smile. Thanks for the "shalom", it makes me feel very welcome here.=]
(And now that I'm here and feeling welcome, you'll never get rid of me! Hahahaha...)

And thanks for helping me. I will definitely use this in my project! ^^

-Rosa ^_^

Last edited by Rosa (2007-03-09 05:29:01)

#5 2007-03-09 06:58:20

John Roff

Please could you tell us more about your project Rosa.

It sounds like you are collecting some interesting info.

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#6 2007-03-09 09:15:59

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I get high when I play shakuhachi

#7 2007-03-09 14:12:47

D.J.

Rosa,

Thank you for asking what you did. Your timing was perfect for me. I have been moving toward a different understanding of myself. Something that is often spoken in words but rarely fully absorbed by the listener.

After thinking this over for the last 24 hours, I came to one realization:

I am nothing.

I do not mean that as an insult to myself. This statement refers to my ego. Ego stops growth. The Shakuhachi is not played well by the ego. The ego is too short sighted and too impatient to play the Shakuhachi with the fullness that it reflects.

The Shakuhachi reflects the soul. One must be empty for that to happen. Once emptied, then the true beauty of who we are can come though our breath and sound itself as the joy we hear.

How do I feel when I am truly playing the Shakuhachi?  I feel nothing. No pain. No worry. Nothing. Therefore I feel total freedom.

Thank you for asking,

D.J.

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

#8 2007-04-17 14:35:10

Rosa

John Roff wrote:

Please could you tell us more about your project Rosa.

It sounds like you are collecting some interesting info.

John

Well, there's nothing much to tell, really. I'm in a gifted children's program, and every kid in the 8th and 9th grade has to write a project about something - anything really. My friend and I who really like Japan, the Japanese language and manga/anime, also like music very much. We searched the web for something interesting, and found some info and pictures of the Shakuhachi. I simply fell in love with it and we decided to write our project about it. Most of our information came from Wikipedia, but of course we had to translate it into Hebrew, so we definitely went over it, haha... and of course we used some great stuff from here ^^. If you'd like, I could translate the presentation into English when we're done with it, and post it somewhere for you ^^.
Good night! (09:33 pm here right now, and mom wants me to get off... See how she treats her 15- year old daughter?!)

#9 2007-04-17 14:56:35

Rosa

Hi ^^
I just saw I had another open question:
How does the Shakuhachi affect the listener?...
Thnks so much for answering!!
Rosa
(ok, ok... so I didn't get off yet. Project be more important than sleep!)

#10 2007-04-17 16:23:31

Leland

Rosa,

Send me your address via email and I'll send you a shakuhachi! Then you'll know how the player and listener really feel!

#11 2007-04-17 16:39:37

shaman141
Website

Hi Rosa,

I think it's great that you are working on this project and I would love to have an english copy if you do make one. For me, sometimes when  playing a few honkyoku pieces in a row, or one long piece, or after a lesson with my teacher, I feel a full body high and a mental clarity that I feel could be considered a state of emptiness.

Sean

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#12 2007-04-17 21:26:16

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hi Rosa,
Good luck with your project and with the invitation given by Leland to experience the shakuhachi first had.  Both highly valuable and rewarding experiences.
As for myself, I can tell you that when I don't play for anything more than a day while otherwise taking care of my normal activities, I feel compressed, detached and sometimes easily irritated by what I would, in a better state, probably not think twice about.  Simply blowing the shakuhachi frees me of those undesirable feelings almost immediately.   The act is obviously an oasis for me. 
As for how the listener feels, it isn't uncommon at a Japanese classical music concert that a number of audience members sleep.  I like to think that the darkened environment of the auditorium combined with the often lulling effect of the music achieves this complimentary somnolence.  It pleases me to imagine that there might be some healing going on.  At closer inspection, however, it may have something more to do with the fact that these concerts are often held in the afternoon and that the larger part of the audience is over 65 years of age.  In short, it falls at a time that would be nap time in almost any other case.  In any event, we as players take this as a positive thing...a kind of public service.
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#13 2007-04-17 22:48:00

dstone
Website

Jeff Cairns wrote:

I can tell you that when I don't play for anything more than a day while otherwise taking care of my normal activities, I feel compressed, detached and sometimes easily irritated by what I would, in a better state, probably not think twice about.  Simply blowing the shakuhachi frees me of those undesirable feelings almost immediately.   The act is obviously an oasis for me.

Yes!  Well said.  I share the feeling of relative irritation when a day goes by and I haven't been to the oasis.

I can access my oasis in other ways, but breathing through bamboo is just so darn simple...  it should be done!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#14 2007-04-18 03:20:18

Bruce Hunter

Hi Rosa,
Blowing shakuhachi tends to either energize me, or  put me in a state of extreme relaxation, and I'm never sure which is going to happen.
Bruce

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

#15 2007-04-19 05:17:10

Rosa

Wow. I see it has a very positive effect on people.
Do people use the shakuhachi for treatment, too?
I mean, else from just playing it for the sake of music, what are the uses of the shakuhachi?...
For example, as I said, for treatment; or maybe relegious uses?...

Thanks again ^___^

#16 2007-04-19 07:24:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Rosa wrote:

Wow. I see it has a very positive effect on people.
Do people use the shakuhachi for treatment, too?
I mean, else from just playing it for the sake of music, what are the uses of the shakuhachi?...
For example, as I said, for treatment; or maybe relegious uses?...

Thanks again ^___^

Shakuhachi has been used as a therapeutic aid for treating mental and physical illness. And regarding the religious background of the shakuhachi please peruse the "Zen" section of this forum and you'll get some information about that. It is mainly a Buddhist instrument in origin and then it also moved into other musical realms such as Japanese classical music, folk music and eventually into modern "serious" music, jazz, rock and others. However the basis of the instrument and its music is religious or philosophical. Thanks for your interest.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#17 2007-04-19 07:46:53

Alex

Hola Rosa,

Interesting topic. Here are some related references:

Debbie Danbrook makes healing music with the Shakuhachi (http://www.healingmusic.com/)

Then, Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin has a CD on the issue: "Komuso:  The Healing Art of Zen Shakuhachi "

And in the ANNALS of the INTERNATIONAL SHAKUHACHI SOCIETY Volume 2, there is an article by Veronza Bowers Jr about "Meditation Healing with Shakuhachi"

Hope that helps

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#18 2007-04-19 16:00:20

Karmajampa
Website

Rosa, 'the effect on the player', I like to play each morning shortly after I wake up and before I have breakfast. I will also play in the evening after I come in from my days activities. I will play at any time during the day, I need little excuse.
Often when I begin to play I will 'burp' and sometimes 'fart' as my body loosens. I will adjust my posture, relaxing my shoulders, arms, hands, feet, calming my mind. The shakuhachi blowing technique seems to operate best when my body is relaxed and in good posture. I usually play while standing.
Depending on where my emotions are at, my playing may be loose or agitated. My mind will respond to this and shift to improve or work with any residual emotion, the emotion is released through blowing shakuhachi. Listening to the details in the sounds produced, I explore. I often play until my hands and lips get tired. I like to extend my efforts but not to an overly painful point. If I find my body is getting tense I will consciously relax that part of my body.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#19 2007-05-10 04:48:40

Rosa

Hey guys =]
Thanks for everything =]
I wanted to ask if it's ok to quote some of this and your nicks beside the quotes.
It would really help me, too =]

THANKS!!!!!!

Rosa.

#20 2007-05-10 11:14:59

shaman141
Website

Hi Rosa,

No problem if you would like to quote me. Once again, great job on putting your paper together!!!

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#21 2007-05-17 04:56:18

Rosa

thanks =]

#22 2007-05-17 04:58:03

Rosa

Hey again =]
thanks for all of this great stuff about the player!!!
Could you please tell me a bit about what the listener feels?

THANKS!!!

#23 2007-05-17 07:31:53

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Rosa, The first time I really heard the shakuhachi was during a performance run in New York City when I was a performer in the experimental Opera Oedipus the King directed by Ellen Stewart. The sound was coming coming from the orchestra pit. The musician had been playing the flute during rehearsals but I didn't really noticed it until the actual performances, when my senses were at it's most heightened state of awareness. During the first performance, I noticed my body reacting to the sound and even thought to myself, "What is that sound? And, why am I only hearing it now?!" It sent shivers down my spine. I looked forward to that sound for the subsequent performances.

Another time, I heard in player who had been playing for over 30 years. The room changed colors as he played.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#24 2007-05-17 10:08:23

Zakarius

I live in a country on the other side of the world from where I grew up. The weather is unbearably hot for me and the traffic is insane. Add to those the fact that I ride a bicycle for a variety of reasons (mostly so I have less impact on the environment) and you may understand where I get my daily 'rage' from. When I play OR listen to the shakuhachi, I am at peace... my frustrations evaporate.

Zakarius

Last edited by Zakarius (2007-05-17 10:15:08)

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#25 2007-05-20 18:24:04

nomaD43

Rosa,
To answer your question about what the listener feels when hearing shakuhachi, the best advice I can give is to listen to shakuhachi. I have found that the feeling is different for each listener, much the same way that each person who listens to jazz, or rap, or classical music feels differently.
As for me, the first time I heard shakuhachi, I had been given a cassette tape of 'meditation' music. When I played this tape for the first time, using headphones, the sound of the shakuhachi  was something I had never heard before, the feeling was beyond words. I had never felt so moved by any sound or music or instrument before or since. Every sound is a vibration, and that vibration is interpreted by the brain, the sound can be interpreted as emotion. For me, I felt an intense sense of calmness, elation, a deep spiritual awakening. I immediately felt a NEED to know what this sound was, what this instrument was. I needed to learn to play this instrument.
I had never played an instrument before, never had a desire to learn an instrument before. It took some time before I was able to learn anything about shakuhachi, but when I did, I also learned that there was a teacher who lived very near where I was living. A short time later, I found myself sitting across from my new teacher, being handed what was to become my first shakuhachi.
After only a few minutes of trying, my first semblance of a note came emerging from this piece of bamboo - I was hooked. By the end of my first lesson I had learned to play my first honkyoku (this is the meditation music played by Zen monks). The intense feeling that I had when I first listened to the shakuhachi paled in comparison to the feeling I had when I played shakuhachi.
The vibrations that are produced by the hearing of the music are only a small part of energy produced by holding, blowing, and playing the shakuhachi.
As many have stated above, the feeling, the effect of playing shakuhachi, is dependant upon the feeling that you breath into the shakuhachi. If I am tense, irritated, distracted, non-commital when I play, then the bamboo knows and my playing is poor. If I am attentive and at peace when I play or allow myself to let go the distraction or ill feeling, then I am overtaken with a deep feeling of peace that draws me away from my egoic state and takes me on a kind of journey towards what I can only imagine as a divine state of consciousness. The feeling cannot be accurately described in words, it can only be experienced.
I wish you all the best in your research and your understanding of what this very special bamboo is about. Please feel free to quote me (if I am not too late in responding). I would also be very interested reading your report when finished. It also makes me very happy to see a young person taking the time to want to understand something so foreign to them.
If you have not had the experience of hearing shakuhachi, I would be honored if you would let me purchase and send to you a CD of honkyoku. This way you can experience it for yourself and share it as part of your report.
Shalom
Damon

Board footer