Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-07 08:19:13

Mugiwara

Unusual notation

Hello, it's rather rude of me on the first day asking for help, but:

I won from a friend two honkyoku sheets and I want to train them right away. The problem is...at first glance, is nothing like Kinko or Tozan ryu. It has common katakana tsu, ro, i, and ko, but there is an excessive amount of Ru note, which is not very frequent at the kinko pieces I have, and also, lots of "U" and characters that resembles the "O" and the "Ya" from hiragana, and a character that apparently is an incomplete "U" or a somewhat tall "tsu" from hiragana. And, since I don't have the recording of the songs, I can't understand at all...  By the way, the songs are Takiochi(Takiotoshi) no Kyoku and Akita Sugagaki. Both start in Kan, with the strange "O" hiragana with an x next to it, followed by several "U".

I also couldn't identify if it is Myouan ryu, because I have yet to see a myouan score, heheheh

Thanks in advance
Gustavo Eda

#2 2005-12-07 10:30:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Unusual notation

Can you post a scan?

Those are both Kinko pieces. There are great variables in calligraphy even within the same school. In Kinko ryu the honkyoku notation (most common is Miura Kindo) is quite different than that of the sankyoku notation. Have you seen Kinko Honkyoku notation before?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2005-12-07 12:40:29

Mugiwara

hmm unfortunately, I don't have a scanner...
Yes, yes, I own Kinko-ryu notations for Kumoi jishi, Honshirabe, Tamuke and San'ya. Their calligraphy is very artistic, but also easily readable.
Reading the two scores further now, I found a very charactersitic way of writing the Kanji for "Tome" in the end, instead of most common kanji "Ryou". The bottom line of "Tome" is in shape of kamuri notation. Maybe it helps
Also there is a little drawing with the "Kin" (gold) kanji on top of each score

Do you happen to know the first notes of each song?

I'll try to get a scanner

Thank you for the reply

#4 2005-12-07 13:03:57

rpowers

From your description of the kana, I'm pretty sure you are looking at Chikuho notation. Any Australian players here want to confirm?

Rich

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#5 2005-12-07 13:38:19

rpowers

Riley Lee has some scans of Chikuho notation online:

http://www.rileylee.net/shaku_notation.html

See if it doesn't look like what you have.

Rich

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#6 2005-12-07 19:12:01

kenbo

The first page (top right) of the notation Riley has on his homepage says "Meian Koten Honkyoku Takiochi no kyoku" so that's your piece right there my friend. Or you probably figured that out yourself if you can read kanji.

And looking further down, lo and behold, the second piece says "Koten Honkyoku Akita Sugagaki" but Sugagaki is written as 菅掻 as opposed to the more commonly seen 菅垣. The second piece doesn't mention which school it is.

So, are you in fact looking at the same pieces Riley has on his homepage? If so, maybe someone else can tell what style the second piece is written in as I couldn't make out a lot of the scribbles which is contained in there!

Last edited by kenbo (2005-12-07 19:28:56)

#7 2005-12-07 20:54:01

Mugiwara

Yes, that's it. Thanks for every mail and messages!

So, now let's learn to read Chikuho scores!

Thank you everyone!

#8 2005-12-26 07:35:53

selfdestruction

If anyone wants a scan of a 'conversion chart' between Kinko and Chikuho notation, let me know, I can post one.

#9 2005-12-26 11:14:43

edosan
Edomologist

Dear self,

Please do post the chart, or email me and I'll reply so you can attach it to me. I have one somewhere buried too deeply to retrieve, so it'd be nice to have another....

Thanks,
eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer