Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-22 19:05:01

dstone
Website

Q: Schools, pieces, and flutes, oh my?

There is no correct answer to this question.  But maybe you have an interesting one...

How important is it to you that you match all of 1) your flute, 2) your piece, and 3) your school or techniques?

For example...   Azuma Jishi and Tamuke on the same flute?  A Kinko piece played with muraiki or komibuki?  Old tunings for contemporary pieces?  Dokyoku pieces on a modern (or vintage) Tozan flute?  Jinashi choukan or hardwood hassun for <X>?

Nails on a blackboard or just good fun?  Missing the point or essential explorations?  smile

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-03-23 06:06:56

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Q: Schools, pieces, and flutes, oh my?

dstone wrote:

There is no correct answer to this question.  But maybe you have an interesting one...

How important is it to you that you match all of 1) your flute, 2) your piece, and 3) your school or techniques?

For example...   Azuma Jishi and Tamuke on the same flute?  A Kinko piece played with muraiki or komibuki?  Old tunings for contemporary pieces?  Dokyoku pieces on a modern (or vintage) Tozan flute?  Jinashi choukan or hardwood hassun for <X>?

Nails on a blackboard or just good fun?  Missing the point or essential explorations?  smile

-Darren.

The flute doesn't matter. Modern Kinko and Tozan makers make flutes which are identical except for the shape of the utaguchi. I know great Kinko players who use Myoan flutes and vice versa. Some Myoan flutes are suitable only for Myoan music. The more important distinction is whether or not they have ji. Myoan music should be played with jinashi flutes, but honestly good jinashi Kinko flutes can usually do the job. Kinko music can be played with either jinashi or jiari flutes but they have to be good. I've been playing a lot of Kinko gaikyoku lately with a koto player and I'm using strictly jinashi flutes but they're exceptional. The case of the "Dokyoku" players is a quandary because Watazumi played raw jinashi flutes whereas the disciples of Watazumi's most famous student, Yokoyama Katsuya, favor very refined jiari shakuhachi. You decide by listening and deciding which tone you prefer.

As far as the music is concerned of course you are supposed to play the songs in their original style. There are a few pieces like "Azuma no Kyoku" and "Kumoijishi" which have the same melodies but different articulations and are played by Kinko, Myoan and "Dokyoku" players. But most of them are related to a specific school and the techniques of that ryu are part of the composition. For example many Myoan pieces are supposed to be played sans vibrato, so when certain Kinko players play them with characteristic Kinko vibrato a la Yamaguchi Goro it just sounds wrong.

Personally I like the sound of excellent jinashi shakuhachi for all the music I play, which is Myoan, Kinko, rock and jazz and I don't care what utaguchi the flute has. I only use jiari shakuhachi when I can't find a jinashi one that plays as well in that particular length or pitch. Which is seldom and only in the shorter (1.8 and shorter) lengths.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-03-23 14:58:49

dstone
Website

An exceptional jinashi flute like you speak of might be the Holy Grail for me.  Something with tone color suitable for honkyoku, my first love, but still tuned and projectable enough to be a proper "musical tool" for modern or ensemble studies.

Anyone have one for sale?  smile

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-03-23 17:05:20

edosan
Edomologist

If such a thing existed, it would probably be on sale...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2007-03-23 17:26:58

radi0gnome
Website

edosan wrote:

If such a thing existed, it would probably be on sale...

It might be. I don't if it meets the qualities you're looking for because I haven't tried it and I'm not sure I understand the necessary qualities anyway, but Perry has had a nice jinashi for sale on his Ebay store for quite a while (the two-tone one). Geez, with the way you guys talk about being willing to buy expensive instruments, I thought  it would have been gone long ago. A reputable dealer, the guy plays really good so he knows what he's making, he offers an audition period, but a 1000 dollar instrument sits in the showcase untouched for months?  If I hadn't recently switched to a job that pays half as much (not exactly by choice) and didn't owe my life to the IRS, it would be gone.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2007-03-23 19:18:28

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I played couple of very expensive shakuhachi...They were amazing.
They were not 1000$ instrument.
the first one was 8000$ ,the second 10000$  and the third....up.

I am trying to get them out of my mind:-)

#7 2007-03-23 20:08:38

radi0gnome
Website

geni wrote:

I played couple of very expensive shakuhachi...They were amazing.
They were not 1000$ instrument.
the first one was 8000$ ,the second 10000$  and the third....up.

I am trying to get them out of my mind:-)

Were they antique or new? I don't think $3000 and up anyone could get away with selling an instrument that wasn't at least something you'd want after trying it.

BTW, if the Yuu wasn't plastic, what price tag do you (or anybody) think would be placed on it based on playability? I'm tempted to get one just to try it but I'm hesistant because it would be 2nd to the most I payed for a shakuhachi and I don't want to start collecting inexpensive instruments. So far, I've spent a little over $600 on 7 instruments. I don't regret it, because I like the character of a most of them, and the earlier ones served their purpose well. But at this point I think I'd rather save up my pennies for a known high quality instrument, or at least  to get the broken jiari I purchased repaired correctly. I have a hunch that one might be a considered good one, I still can't get over the tonal quality of it.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer