You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-24 02:27:43

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Composing for koto

Hi Composers,

Does anyone have experience composing and writing in Western notation for koto? Do you just write it out in staff notation and let them worry about it or are there other factors you must specify? For example tuning. Must you specify it or will they work it out on their own given notation? Are there any internet resources which would help me with this?

Regards,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2007-04-07 21:40:53

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Composing for koto

Hi Brian,
I'm not a classically trained composer, no less a composer for the koto, however I did compose a piece for shakuhachi and koto however naive the end result was and published it on my most recent CD 'Silent Letters, Secret Pens'.  I used staff notation and built the koto part around the shakuhachi with the idea of having both instruments making intertwined statements that were supportive of each other.  The koto player I recorded with is a very high level player and was able to assimilate the koto part to my statisfaction, though not hers.  I suspect the problem was in the composition.  Due to the nature of the piece, she chose to play it on a 21 stringed instrument.  One problem was with range.  I set the koto part a little too high for the instrument.  We had some nudging to do in order to work the piece out.  In terms of dynamics, there are symbols that the modern kotoist understands when written in staff notation.  For example, I'm looking at the piece Mayudama-no uta written by Katsutoshi Nagasawa right now.  It's written for shakuhachi and koto in staff notation.  On the introduction page of the piece, there is a description of the dynamic marks used in the piece, for example, when to play with tsume  (finger picks,) when to play with the left hand and when to play harmonics.  On the same recent CD, I recorded the piece Shinonome no uta composed by Marty Regan.  Similarly he introduced the dynamic markings he placed in the piece with an explanation.  This seems to be standard practice.
With regard to tuning, the player should be able to do that themselves if the key of the piece is specified however if something non-standard is introduced in the piece, it should be specified in the introduction notes.
Hope this helps a bit.  It was all hit and miss for me and it's my hope that as time and experience accumulate, I will hit more and miss less.  I'd also love to hear your outcome.
cheers
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer