Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-24 10:35:13

GingerR

Hi, all I am looking for a direction.....

In the past, I was a traditional flute student for many years, and studied at Peabody in Baltimore for a while. I can no longer play the traditional flute due to Carpal Tunnel in both hands. I have lost my fine motor coordination.

At one point about 20 years ago, I bought and played a Shakuhachi for about a year until it was stolen, and I couldn't afford to replace it. (I just played it, no training, couldn't find any books, but, did find a CD and learned to play some of the music)

OK, the point of all of this is, I am feeling the need to play again, and I want to buy one, but, don't know which one, and I am looking for a teacher.

Thank you for your time.

Ginger

Ginger

And GOD* said: "BE NICE"
(*all of them)

#2 2007-03-24 16:44:49

D.J.

Re: Hi, all I am looking for a direction.....

Contact Perry Yung at yungflutes@yahoo.com. He is a most gracious person and will be of great help to you with genuinly caring guidance. His site is: http://www.yungflutes.com/html_pages/contact_page.html

Contact info is on that page. There is a reason you feel the need to get back into this. Don't give it up!

D.J.

Last edited by D.J. (2007-03-24 16:45:20)

"Manifest great deeds by breaking the rules."
Awa Kenzo - Zen Archery Master
"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

#3 2007-03-24 16:47:46

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I believe Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin gives lessons in Baltimore on a monthly basis. www.nygetsu.com he is an excellent teacher.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-03-24 16:49:40

D.J.

I wanted to recommend Larry Tyrrell, but his being in Portland, OR was a bit of a drive! Wink. Perry was the only one on the East Coast I know of. He also makes a huge variety of Shakuhachi to choose from.

D.J.

Last edited by D.J. (2007-03-24 16:51:12)

"If you think that you are a teacher, then you have failed to realize that learning comes from the student."
Kiko Aratsu

#5 2007-03-24 17:32:54

radi0gnome
Website

Welcome Ginger. There's a "teachers and dojos" section on this forum that is probably monitored by more teachers than this introductory section here, so placing your request for a teacher there would be a good idea. If you find a teacher quickly, contact the teacher first about what will be a suitable flute. I don't understand all the details, but apparently even good playing instruments may not be suitable for all styles. Perry Yung is a very knowledgeable maker and performer, is fully aware of this and could probably tell you a lot more, and if for some reason you need to get a flute before finding a teacher he would probably be able to help you out. I'm not studying traditional Japanese music so I'm coming from a bit of a naive perspective, but I, like DJ and many others here, find Perry's flutes to be wonderful. There is a thread about his flutes in the "reviews" section. It should be noted that there are other very reputable and popular flute makers on this forum too. There is also a plastic instrument that many here say is suitable for lessons called a Yuu. There's a lot of information about it here but it's kind of difficult to sort through with all the discussions about the acoustic properties of different materials. You can find the sales information and descriptions about that on www.shakuhachiyuu.com.

The real reason why I decided to respond to you is that while I'd encourage you to pursue your study of shakuhachi, there are some popular products that make silver flutes much more ergonomic. They are called Bo-peps. They've been around for a while for the left hand, but I think the right hand thumb dock is relatively new. Maybe they could help you continue your silver flute study. I find that playing shakuhachi is good cross training (if that's the word for it on instruments) and has improved my tone on silver flute, The bo-peps are available in many places, but here is one link:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bo/navig … 001+202354

P.S. I was just looking at Ronnie Selden's schedule. He's conducting a workshop in Baltimore on April 29. That might be of interest to you too. http://www.nyogetsu.com/events.html

Last edited by radi0gnome (2007-03-24 17:52:19)

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#6 2007-03-24 22:10:15

GingerR

Thank you all for your thoughts....

I am taking everything into consideration, although, the Silver Flute, even with aids is no longer an option...

Ginger

(*all of them)

#7 2007-03-25 13:11:28

PSTL

Ginger,

Carpal tunnel is nasty! As you choosee a shakuhachi, I would recommend that you stay away from the Yuu (ABS plastic shakuhachi). It is heavier than bamboo and after a while wears on the thumb.
I found bamboo to be the lightest, followed by PVC and maple. There are others, I'm sure, but that's what I've been using.

If you practice a light hold and purchase a shakuhachi sutable for your hand size you should be just fine. I have mild carpal tunnel and I only really feel it when I grip too hard.

If you discover that it's too painful to play the shakuhachi, you might consider the didgeridoo.

Best to you.
Phil

#8 2007-03-25 13:22:22

D.J.

You may want to consider finding a gome Shakuhachi. (Bamboo died while still in the ground) I am not sure of this, so someone correct me if I am wrong: My gome is considerably lighter in weight than any other flute I own. Is that always the case with gome? I don't know.

I also do not know how available that kind of bamboo is.

There are also a variety of bamboos available. Some much thinner walled than others. My thick Japanese Madake flutes have been more dense and heavier than some of the other bamboo for their size. I have long 2.9 made from black bamboo that is quite light for its size.

D.J.

Last edited by D.J. (2007-03-25 15:21:06)

Kiko Aratsu

#9 2007-03-28 01:32:27

Leland

Hi Ginger and welcome!

You may have already have seen this, but just in case...

Monty Levenson's "Shakulute" at www.shakuhachi.com. It's a bamboo shakuhachi headjoint that attaches to a Boehms flute. Changing the flutes orientation from transverse to vertical would probably greatly reduce hand and wrist pain. On top of that, you'll be able to bend pitches like shakuhachi players do. Robbie Hanna Anderman, who apparently helped Monty design the Shakulute, addresses carpal tunnel in the "What people say about the Shakulute" section of Monty's site.

I'm very new too and don't know much, but I've had some rewarding experiences with shakuhachi, I'm sure you will too.

Best of luck on your new adventure!

Leland

#10 2007-04-05 02:52:52

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hi Ginger and welcome,
I just wanted to pass on this information that might be of some help with CTS.  It's a book written by a physio-therapist who needs much more attention for the good work she is doing with and for musicians.  Her name is Barbara Paull and she has a clinic in Stouffville, Ontario, Canada.  The book in question is 'The Athletic Musician-A guide to playing withouth pain' and is available at Amazon.  I suffered from what I thought was CTS in the right hand.  I went to her site and found this book, bought it and have found great relief from what has turned out not to be CTS, but rather a rotator problem in the right shoulder due to incorrect posture over the years.  I can't recommend this enough to you or any who might be suffering from playing pain.
good luck
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#11 2007-04-07 23:13:10

GingerR

Jeff,

Thanks for the information....I will get the book and see if it helps.

I know I have CTS, I have been rather non-traditional in my choice of profession, an HVAC technician/contractor, first woman HVAC Master in the State of Maryland, and, now, a Mechanical Engineer, newly minted. I have ruined my hands, and my knees.....So far, though, I am having no problem playing my new flute, (and I have been pushing it a little).

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Ginger

(*all of them)

Board footer