World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-04 18:37:04

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Announcement: Midwest Summer Shakuhachi Retreat

Hello forum members. I will be hosting the Shakuhachi Summer camp of the Midwest from June 8~12. This year includes special guest Zen Monk Sybastian Cyr from Montreal and Eric Paton, a professional Taiko Drummer and teacher from Capital University via growing up in Tokyo!

Here is the schedule:

The Summer Shakuhachi camp of the Midwest will be held outside of Marion, Ohio on June 8~10. This will be at Craig Ciola’s house out in the countryside where we hold the June camp each year. This is a beautiful setting perfect for shakuhachi playing as Craig has continued to work on his carp ponds and bamboo grooves. It is a very quiet space with ample room on the grounds for tents and bonfires or for getting off to play shakuhachi in the woods or by the ponds. 

SPECIAL GUEST:  Sybastien Cyr from Montreal, Canada, is a Zen monk of the Rinzai Sect who trained in China and in Japan. He will be talking to us about Zen and shakuhachi from a Zen insider’s perspective . The timing (for the camp) is great as Sebastien-san has just returned from Japan where he obtained rare texts (to add to his collection) about the history of shakuhachi and will be sharing that information with us at camp. Also, on Saturday afternoon he will lead a study session on Shomyo chanting and in the evening perform a Shingon Fire ceremony. He will be participating in the camp studies as well.
           Sybastien Cyr's bio:1996-97 Learned and practiced Iaido in Japan under Miura Takeyuki Hidefusa
at the Yasaka Jinja of Neyagawashi.
2000: Started to practice Kinko Shakuhachi under Masumoto Yoshio in Montreal.
2004: Ordained in the Linji (Rinzai) school of Buddhism in Wutaishan China.
2005, 2006 and 2007 Visited Japan to learn Mikkyo (esoteric Buddhism) of the
Shingon School at various temples but especially at the Hoshakuji of Kyoto
to which I was linked and accepted as a disciple.

SPECIAL GUEST:  Eric “The Fish” Paton from Columbus, Ohio is a well known accomplished Taiko drummer who grew up in Tokyo, Japan. Eric has been on the faculty at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio since 1990, where he is in charge of Concert Percussion, Jazz Percussion, Ethnic Percussion and the World Music Lab. He has performed with Aretha Franklin, Sir Roland Hannah, Bobby Shew-Salsa Caliente and Eitetsu Hayashi. Eric-san will be joining in the fire ceremony on sat. evening.

CAMP FORMAT:

Basic Camp will run from the evening of Friday, June 8~Sunday, June 10.
     Extended Camp will run on through Monday the 11th and Tuesday the 12th until 4pm.

We will be sleeping in tents and playing outdoors, weather permitting. If need be, we can retreat indoors for study. There are some bedrooms & ample floor space for those who prefer such and there are showers. All the food will be cooked in the kitchen which is fully maintained. If you come from afar and bringing a tent is not possible, we will have extra: not to worry. Sleeping bags too. But please inform me ahead of time.

CAMP SCHEDULE:

Friday evening: This time will allow everyone to arrive when they can and get tents set up, etc. There will be some organized scheduled activity but it will not be a mandatory situation.

Sat. 9am~12noon : study session.
           12:00~2:00  lunch with talk by Sebastien Cyr
             2:00~4:00  study session.
             5:00~6:00  Shorei chanting study session
             7:00~9:00  dinner
             9:00~ Fire ceremony

Sunday:  9am~12:00 shakuhachi study
                  12:00~2:00 lunch
                    2:00~4:00 study

EXTENDED CAMP:
       Monday: 9~noon study
                       2:00~5:00 study
                       5:00~7:00dinner
                       7:00~ no schedule yet

Tuesday:  9am~12:00 study
                        2:00~4:00 study
                        4:00 collapse!

The main pieces we will be studying at this camp will be:

1. Bosatsu
  2. Ryugin Koku (Meian, Taizan Ha) & Darani(beginner's).
  4. Komuso Nagashi
  3. Henro

Extended Camp:
  1: Sagariha
  2: Nezasa Shirabe

There is time for requests concerning songs you would like to study.

Camp Fees:
  1. Basic camp, June 8~10  $200. Each participant who lives close enough to bring food will be in charge of one meal.
     Everyone cooks together at these camps. It's an important aspect of our camps, but if you live to far away to bring food there will be an extra $50 charge.

2. Extended Camp: $150 if you attend the Basic Camp (total for both camps $350).
              or    $200. if only attending the Extended Camp.

Cds will be sent out upon receipt of registration fee. Scores will be sent out by email. Please direct any questions to me at this email address:chikuzen@earthlink.net. or tel.: 313-600-2610.

Transportation can be arranged to and from the Cleveland and Columbus airports.

Thank you.

Michael Chikuzen Gould (moderator).

Last edited by chikuzen (2007-04-15 20:55:37)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#2 2007-04-04 20:36:52

shaman141
Website

Re: Announcement: Midwest Summer Shakuhachi Retreat

Hi Chikuzen,

The camp sounds awesome, I wish I could be there! I never knew there was a shakuhachi playing monk from Montreal! I would love to be able to contact him. Do you know if he currently resides there?

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited by shaman141 (2007-04-04 20:37:10)

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#3 2007-04-05 10:55:33

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Yes, he lives there now: chants, teaches, translates, blows Zen & rants and raves. The real deal!

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#4 2007-04-12 07:11:58

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Wow Micheal sounds very exciting how do I register? wink

oops I guess you already did!
Well I guess it goes this way then have sutra books will travel or will read sutras for food on a big cardboard sign.

I am really looking forward to this camp already started to practice the fire ceremony in my fireplace  wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

Board footer