Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-09 03:11:52

dstone
Website

Polishing

Hi all.  Just wanted to share an experience yesterday with polishing up a recently "finished" flute.  This is nothing revolutionary, but it's low cost, low effort, and made a nice improvement.  All the ideas are from the forum here, so thanks to all.  I found the ingredients at Lee Valley Tools and they're all very natural and human/enviro-friendly as far as I know.

Started with nice enough Japanese madake, very fair in complexion.  Perfectly good but nothing remarkably smooth or shiny about the natural finish.
1) Wetted a 3M superfine rubbing pad and added 4F pumice stone powder.  Rubbed lengthwise, rewetting and repowdering regularly.
2) Rinsed/wiped clean.  Bamboo surface was smoother now but maybe slightly duller.
3) Wetted a cotton handkerchief and added very fine Rottenstone powder.  Rubbed and reapplied as above.
4) Rinsed/wiped clean.  Bamboo surface was smoother again and getting shinier.
5) Thinly spread some Clapham's beeswax & mineral oil salad bowl finish down entire culm, including root nubs and root end grain.
6) Let sit for an hour or so for the beeswax mixture to penetrate and solidify somewhat.
7) Hand buffed to remove wax.  New shine and smoothness were quite apparent.

Even more than the shine, the smoothness of the resulting finish was really impressive.  The flute is extremely pleasing to touch.

I would probably spend even more time on steps 1 & 3 next time.  And I -think- going with the "grain" (i.e. lengthwise) is the right thing to do, but maybe others can comment.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-04-10 16:05:49

costademaria
Website

Re: Polishing

i also think that going with the grain is the right thing. by the way speaking of polishing i decided from now on to make my shakuhachi water,dent,vapor,heat,scratch,split,crack proof. so if you are interested take a look here http://costademaria.googlepages.com/eba … roldbamboo to see one of the results. cause while improving my technique to play is slower i decided at least the other things to be well taken care of :-)

"how dear sir did you cross the flood?" "by not halting,friend,and by not straining i crossed the flood."
"but how is it,dear sir,that by not halting and by not straining you crossed the flood?"
"when i came to a standstill,friend,then i sank,but when i struggled,then i got swept away.it is in this way by not halting and by not straining i crossed the flood"

Board footer