Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-25 14:40:39

Moran from Planet X
Website

Grafting shakuhachi root/bell

I was just admiring one of Perry's instruments on eBay with a grafted bell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-6-EARTH-MODEL-BAS … dZViewItem

I've heard of the old Meian (Myoan) master Kikusui grafting bamboo roots onto soft wood shakuhachi and have seen the Miura Ryuho 1.6 susadake with the grafted root at shakuhachiyuu.com. I also played one of Brian Ritchie's great old Meian (Myoan) 1.9 with a grafted partial root that was one of the nicest flutes I've ever played.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#2 2007-04-25 20:07:07

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Grafting shakuhachi root/bell

Chris Moran wrote:

I I also played one of Brian Ritchie's great old Meian (Myoan) 1.9 with a grafted partial root that was one of the nicest flutes I've ever played.

Yes that's an amazing flute. It is a late Meiji 2.0 Myoan shakuhachi with a grafted root and large holes not unlike the holes on some John Kaizan Neptune flutes. Which proves that both large holes and grafter root were acceptable tricks of the shakuhachi making trade back in those days. (COMMERCIAL) It's also for sale if anybody is interested. Drop me an email.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-04-26 22:44:31

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

Yes that's an amazing flute. It is a late Meiji 2.0 Myoan shakuhachi with a grafted root and large holes not unlike the holes on some John Kaizan Neptune flutes. Which proves that both large holes and grafter root were acceptable tricks of the shakuhachi making trade back in those days. (COMMERCIAL) It's also for sale if anybody is interested. Drop me an email.

Right. I'm sorry, it was a 2.0. Really nice big complex RO. Very solid, earthy feeling instrument. For those of us aspiring komuso with more limited finger reach, if you could only have one instrument for playing honkyoku -- this would be it. Extremely satisfying to play.

(BTW, the Perry Yung bell-grafted flute that inspired this thread sold on eBay very quickly.)

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-04-26 22:47:46)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2007-04-26 23:20:26

adamu

I was actually the one to purchase it =+)

I well let you all know what I think about it and post some pics and maybe even a sound clip =+).

Board footer