Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-02 16:41:27

kyoreiflutes
Website

"New" compositions for Shakuhachi: will they last?

I'm just wondering how many pieces that are "newer", as in written and recored in the last 40 or so years, will go down as "classic" or "traditional"? What's the difference between something I write and something "someone" wrote 400 years ago, if the intent of the piece is the same? Does the original writer being a so-called "monk" change how you view a piece? Since I'm not a monk, would you take my music as seriously, even if it had all the honkyoku earmarks, and moved you as one of the classic pieces do?

If I wrote a piece called "The Moon over still waters", and it was a nice, moving piece, and had that honkyoku "feel", would people take it seriously, or would they consider it not worth bothering with?

For instance... some people say they're into western classical music, but they've never heard of Arvo Part, nor do they realize that Philip Glass writes amazing pieces for orchestra. They're stuck in a time of Bach and Mozart for the most part. "Classical Pop". Millions of people all over the world can recognize and hum the opening lines of The 9th Symphony, but ask them how Parts' "Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten" begins. The people that can probably have a show on NPR about it.

(By the way, if you haven't heard Arvo Part, you should check out "Tabula Rasa" for a taste of how amazing he can be. I personally stay away from his operas about the life of Christ, but that's me. But man, if you want just about the most amazing recorded orchestral experience of your life, listen to Parts' "Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten" from Tabula Rasa. It is a truly awesome piece, and rediculously simple in its' construction. As musicians yourselves, I think you'd really appreciate it. Use great speakers or good headphones in a quiet room.)

So some of these people basically don't think of Arvo Part to be the same as Mozart. Granted, they have very different styles, but they are both technically "classical", and are in the same section, use the same notation and instruments. It just seems as though there's a bias toward "classical" pieces that were written before 1920 or something, and it almost seems like it might be that way in the world of shakuhachi. Am I wrong here?

Granted, we have people like Geni who are doing interesting things that some people here would never even think of doing. In fact, there seems to be a few players in the world who, while fully aware of this forum, simply will never join, because they might feel like some of us are "bastardizing" the shakuhachi somehow, and not really taking it seriously. I'm a ginourmous fan of the tv show LOST, but the people on my forum drive me insane with thier literally stupid questions, and it's clear that most of them are nowhere near being the serious fan I am. It's like they don't even watch the show. SO I can understand how someone who is a certain kind of serious could see some of the discussions here and think, "yikes, there's too many amatuers for me", and it's just not thier particular scene. That's not me, mind you, but I can see how someone could think like that.

I sure don't understand the meaning of "short posts", do I? You should see my posts for LOST.

Any comments? Did you all understand my question?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2007-05-02 22:18:03

radi0gnome
Website

Re: "New" compositions for Shakuhachi: will they last?

Maybe a better analogy would be folk music. For example, there are lot's of American folk melodies that have been passed down (many from other countries), and some people write new ones. Most seem destined to fall by the wayside, but ones like Jay Ungar's waltz that made it into the PBS civil war special look like they'll stick.

Somewhat related, I remember my father telling me that the music of his day would live on for a long time and an example was that Lawrence Welk and Mitch Miller was still playing it, while the new popular music of the '60's wouldn't last long because it was nonsense. He was wrong, oldies radio stations are big bucks now and the oldies are mostly from the 60's and 70's. Of course, I'm pretty sure the garbage that's out now, particularly that emo stuff, won't last...

BTW, I thought Phillip Glass' stuff with the small ensembles was the best, my favorite is North Star.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

#3 2007-05-03 02:07:24

rpowers

kyoreiflutes wrote:

For instance... some people say they're into western classical music, but they've never heard of Arvo Part, nor do they realize that Philip Glass writes amazing pieces for orchestra. They're stuck in a time of Bach and Mozart for the most part. "Classical Pop". Millions of people all over the world can recognize and hum the opening lines of The 9th Symphony, but ask them how Parts' "Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten" begins.

I'm guessing you are referring to the Beethoven ninth symphony; almost no one knows Mozart's.

Few people (probably including you and me) know it as well as you think. If you asked five hundred people to hum the opening phrase, you might find two or three who could do it. Of the rest, the wiser ones would admit they don't know it, while the vast majority would hum the melody for the Ode to Joy (which many of them learned as a ring tone). That theme is introduced forty to fifty minutes into most performances of the symphony. It is possible to be more familiar with Mozart or Beethoven by name without having any more knowledge of their music than you have of the music of Glass or Part.

Now I need to find a recording of the Beethoven ninth to remember how it really begins.

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#4 2007-05-03 13:29:23

Zakarius

In fear of showing my ignorance or having some member tell me I should try to "get past personal taste"... here's my two cents:

I'm new to the shakuhachi, having bought a half dozen CDs a couple years ago, then another half dozen CDs and a low-end flute a year ago, and finally getting my hands on a pair of mid-ranged flutes. I don't dislike a single track on any of my shakuhachi CDs and for someone as picky as myself, that's saying something. Nevertheless, I certainly find myself drawn to some pieces more than others.

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I'm just wondering how many pieces that are "newer", as in written and recored in the last 40 or so years, will go down as "classic" or "traditional"? What's the difference between something I write and something "someone" wrote 400 years ago, if the intent of the piece is the same? Does the original writer being a so-called "monk" change how you view a piece? Since I'm not a monk, would you take my music as seriously, even if it had all the honkyoku earmarks, and moved you as one of the classic pieces do?

My guess is that with much 'traditional' music, the 'classics' continue through the ages without people really stopping to wonder what made them special and whether they're really worthy of such admiration in the modern age compared to newer works. I feel this is true in any artistic field. I hate to admit it, but I'd definitely be influenced when considering who made the music. The modern age of music, sadly, draws too strong a connection between the musician's style/image and the listener. Instead we ought to perhaps be just listening to the music.

kyoreiflutes wrote:

For instance... some people say they're into western classical music, but they've never heard of Arvo Part, nor do they realize that Philip Glass writes amazing pieces for orchestra. They're stuck in a time of Bach and Mozart for the most part. "Classical Pop". Millions of people all over the world can recognize and hum the opening lines of The 9th Symphony, but ask them how Parts' "Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten" begins. The people that can probably have a show on NPR about it.

Sorry for the sidenote, but since you mentioned Glass, I have to say: Glass came here to Taiwan just last month to do an ensemble retrospective and it was the most moving concert I've ever been to. For those of you unfamiliar with his music, I hope you have the chance to experience it some day. I can only describe it as hypnotic schools of fish flashing by you like waves, then suddenly deciding to go somewhere else. (Don't hate me if you don't like it, though.)

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#5 2007-05-03 15:41:21

dstone
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

If I wrote a piece called "The Moon over still waters", and it was a nice, moving piece, and had that honkyoku "feel", would people take it seriously, or would they consider it not worth bothering with?

Eddie, go for it, man.  I think you should create and play that piece anyways.  Honkyoku spirit doesn't acknowledge an audience or their judgements.

If it's a piece you want to be popular with "that honkyoku feel" though, then I think you have a harder goal.  Like Zakarius points out, people will unfortunately say "who are you?" and "please play me something that's really old, written by a crazy monk".  Popularity is a nasty thing to chase after.

Good luck with your piece...  if in doubt, maybe share it with us here...  I'm sure the forum crowd will appreciate what you've put into it!

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-05-03 15:41:42)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2007-05-03 20:18:53

kyoreiflutes
Website

Thanks for the great responses so far, guys. This is one of my long-winded questions that kind of ramble, so it's hard to know if I'm always making sense.

I especially liked Darren's last answer, just going for it. Thanks.

And, yeah, live Glass would be great. He has a Violin Concerto (II, i think) from Akhnaten that blows me away. I think it's one of the tope 3 most beautiful pieces ever, so soft and lightly lyrical. I also like anything he does with Kronos. I saw the rather unfortunate In The Penal Colony some years ago, though, and it was just plain awful. The string sextext was great, but everything else was a wreck. It was hard not to laugh, and I'm a pretty open guy musically.

I wish the Seattle Symphony would do stuff that's not so danged poppy, and try to expose some folks to something really different, you know? It seems like most (americans) don't want to take the time to understand things like how dissonance doesn't have to be painful, and it doesn't all have to be a grand ball with lillies and dancing fairies everywhere. I played some shakuhachi music for a friend once, who quipped, "what is this depressing music?" I proceded to explain how it's medatative and plainative, not depressing, and that calling it depressing is to show that you're not willing to go beyond what pop radio bottle-feeds you. He didn't like that answer much, lol. But he understood what i meant. He listens to a lot of alternative stuff like David Sylvian and Cocteau Twins, though, odd. He, though, like most of my friends, enjoy the shakuhachi a lot more when I'm playing it live for them. And then, of course, they think I'm awesome. wink

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#7 2007-05-05 00:00:52

Zakarius

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I played some shakuhachi music for a friend once, who quipped, "what is this depressing music?" I proceded to explain how it's medatative and plainative, not depressing, and that calling it depressing is to show that you're not willing to go beyond what pop radio bottle-feeds you.

I'm an ESL teacher here in Taiwan and usually practice an hour or two at my school in between my afternoon and evening classes. My students (95% adults) sometimes hear me practicing and sneak a listen. Most of them comment that the music sounds sad or as if it's from a 'ghost movie'. I just smile, thinking of basically the same response quoted above.

I do have one older student (60-something) who plays the gu-zhen (Chinese zither) and I lent her my Komuso CD by Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin in our music exchange. She described the music as being "the first sounds of the creation of the universe." A kindered soul.

dstone wrote:

Eddie, go for it, man.  I think you should create and play that piece anyways.  Honkyoku spirit doesn't acknowledge an audience or their judgements.

I'm writing my first piece though I'm REALLY a beginner. I hope to post the score and an .MP3 performance of it here on the forum when it's ready. I'm hoping other amateurs here will do the same.

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#8 2007-05-05 04:19:27

dstone
Website

Zakarius wrote:

I'm writing my first piece though I'm REALLY a beginner. I hope to post the score and an .MP3 performance of it here on the forum when it's ready. I'm hoping other amateurs here will do the same.

Cool.  I'm a slow beginner.  I don't quite feel a piece in me yet.  But I'm certain something will eventually bubble up and I'll share it also!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#9 2007-05-05 04:42:25

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

dstone wrote:

Zakarius wrote:

Cool.  I'm a slow beginner.  I don't quite feel a piece in me yet.  But I'm certain something will eventually bubble up and I'll share it also!

-Darren.

Alright guys this is a good idea. Ken and I have our hands full, why doesn't somebody volunteer to put up a website or myspace for the Forum composers to exhibit their pieces?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#10 2007-05-05 10:07:48

Zakarius

Tairaku wrote:

Alright guys this is a good idea. Ken and I have our hands full, why doesn't somebody volunteer to put up a website or myspace for the Forum composers to exhibit their pieces?

I'd be happy to make a www.geocities.com site to host people's sample notation. The bandwidth limitations might be a source of frustration, so I'd basically make an index of the pieces and link to people's more permanent hosting. I.e. someone would send me two links: 1) the notation hosted on their own site and 2) an .MP3 or other music format of performing it. The notations could also be ranked according to level of difficulty (by the author & community) like: beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

Zakarius

#11 2007-05-05 10:38:17

kyoreiflutes
Website

I've been thinking for a bit about some sort of depository we could have. The problem with MySpace is that you can only have 4 songs at one time; rather limiting. I've been meaning to put my music up on my own site, but I am SO LAZY. I want to write music for Indie films, and I'm trying to get work doing it. I suppose I just have to bite the bullet and get my own site.

Anyway... yeah, I'd love it if we could post pieces we like. I wish we had our own awesome server, but that's a big deal.

Great idea... I hope we can get it working. I can contribute my graphic design skills if anyone needs them.

-E

#12 2007-05-05 11:12:31

Travis Winegar
Website

MySpace is probably the easiest implementation. 

Perhaps what we need is a stickied and moderated thread in which users' MySpace accounts could be assembled and categorized?  This would eliminate the need for additional web space and requires the forking out of no extra cash.

EDIT:

Also, if the consensus is that an external website is the preferred method, I have the Shakuhachi Search Engine google page already in place that would take little work to modify for this purpose.  There is no storage space to speak of, so the files would need to be stored elsewhere, but categorization could certainly be accomplished through it.

On the other hand, I don't know how much storage space/bandwidth Ken has to spare on his server, or if he would be interested in providing the hosting for such a project, but one could certainly build a page on a seperate account on the already existing server.  If bandwidth/storage space is at a premium how about everyone chipping in and buying a Hard Drive or some bandwidth if this is a viable option?

Last edited by Travis Winegar (2007-05-05 11:18:43)

"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw." – Shunryu Suzuki

Shakuhachi Search Engine

#13 2007-05-05 11:46:32

Zakarius

Travis Winegar wrote:

MySpace is probably the easiest implementation.

I'm honestly not sure why MySpace has become so popular -- most people's MySpace pages look like a bombardment of unconnected data.

Travis Winegar wrote:

Perhaps what we need is a stickied and moderated thread in which users' MySpace accounts could be assembled and categorized?  This would eliminate the need for additional web space and requires the forking out of no extra cash.

A moderated threat might do the trick, but I personally won't want to go sifting through the chaos I mentioned above to track down someone's notation or recording. A simply but elegant webpage (which can be hosted on a variety of free websites) pointing to the actual files seems more efficient to me. <shrugs>

Travis Winegar wrote:

Also, if the consensus is that an external website is the preferred method, I have the Shakuhachi Search Engine google page already in place that would take little work to modify for this purpose.  There is no storage space to speak of, so the files would need to be stored elsewhere, but categorization could certainly be accomplished through it.

On the other hand, I don't know how much storage space/bandwidth Ken has to spare on his server, or if he would be interested in providing the hosting for such a project, but one could certainly build a page on a seperate account on the already existing server.  If bandwidth/storage space is at a premium how about everyone chipping in and buying a Hard Drive or some bandwidth if this is a viable option?

Both of the above sound great to me.

Zakarius

#14 2007-05-05 12:08:32

kyoreiflutes
Website

I do like the idea of having a hosted web page with links to people's mp3s that they store elsewhere. If I'm understanding what you guys are saying.

The only problem I can see with MySpace is that you can't link directly to a specific mp3, just a front page. So people might want to put thier stuff on PutFile or something like that instead, where you're not that concerned about your frontend, since it's kind of "for us". We can make our "frontend", the links page, look nice, but it's not a big deal after. It's more of a different kind of "links" page. We can even subcatergorize it to show different examples of specific pieces, which I always find interesting.

I've also been thinking about composing a piece that we all record via our own PCs and the internet. Do most of us have the ability to record ourselves playing decently, without much noise?

-E

#15 2007-05-05 12:42:05

Zakarius

I've started a new thread on this topic of making a link website since it's a bit of a sidetrack. (click below to skip to the thread)

http://shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?pid=7057#p7057

Zakarius

Board footer