Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-10 05:44:27

totst

Microphones for performance

I'm search for a mic that will attach to the flute. Presently I'm looking at the Mini Swan of Microvox systems. Other systems like AMT and SD have their clamps designed for Boehm flute. So what are the pros using ? Is this Microvox sysrtem usable? Thank you for your time.

Tots

#2 2005-10-10 13:31:08

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Microphones for performance

John Neptune is probably the most frequent performer using mics attached to the shakuhachi. He uses a Countryman mic http://www.countryman.com/ James Nyoraku Schlefer also uses one and says he is very pleased.

I think they use an older model. If you look through their products they have both headset and clip on versions and offer hard wired or wireless versions.

The mini Swan you mentioned is much less expensive and offers only hard wired.

The Countryman can operate using conventional phantom power, whereas the Mini Swan needs a power supply.

Not having used either, I would still tend to think on basis of specs that the Countryman might be the way to go.

Personally I play into a conventional mic, in a nice room I use a condenser and if the situation is hairy I use a dynamic like Shure SM 57 or 58.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-01-22 03:16:36

Yu-Jin

Tairaku wrote:

in a nice room I use a condenser

What kind of condenser?
Have you tried AKG C1000S?

#4 2006-01-22 04:59:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Yu-Jin wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

What kind of condenser?

I have found that you get the best results in a studio when you let the engineer use whatever he is familiar and comfortable with. That depends on what engineer I use. Could be AKG 414, CAD, Neumann U-87, U-47, whatever. They're all good. I haven't tried AKG C1000S.

At my own home studio I used a matched pair of Curtis Tech tube mics and a Curtis Tech 8 channel preamp running into either an ADAT or Pro-tools.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-01-22 16:24:15

Yu-Jin

Thanks a lot for your comments.

#6 2006-01-22 17:25:19

jumbuk

Yu-Jin wrote:

Tairaku wrote:

What kind of condenser?

I have two of them - have had them for years.  They are a very good, reasonably priced condenser.  Good for stringed instruments and flutes of all kinds.

Last edited by jumbuk (2006-01-22 17:25:36)

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#7 2006-01-22 18:44:21

kyoreiflutes
Website

I should also add that I'm not as crazy about attached mics as much as a basic room mic. If you don't capture the room, I feel like you're not capturing the whole performance, but that's more for Honkyoku stuff, not for, perhaps, a Hans Zimmer soundtrack. For that, you'd want to capture as close to the flute as possible, but for standard shakuhachi music, I'd say go with a room mic.

If this is for a bigger "live" room, then it's another story.

Brian, what do you usually use on your Sax on stage, or do you just play into your vocal mic? I can't remember.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer