Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-15 07:41:13

Andre

Location for practising

Hi everybody,

to those who dont know where to practise, because the wife is shouting all the time: "stop that noise!" Or the neighbors wring the doorbell asking "Whats that noise?" Here is a small hint: Put a yuu in your car and whenever there is traffic jam, practise shakuhachi. I do this since a couple of weeks and my daily practise time increased by additional 30 minutes.

Andre

#2 2005-12-16 16:41:44

Yu-Jin

Re: Location for practising

Andre, I also sometimes practiced in my car.. Well, I have a minivan, so I would get on the back seat any time of the day or night, and nobody would hear me even at 2 a.m. :-D
I have Yuu with me all the time...

#3 2005-12-16 23:07:37

Moran from Planet X
Website

Yu-Jin wrote:

... I would get on the back seat any time of the day or night, and nobody would hear me even at 2 a.m. :-D
I have Yuu with me all the time...

"Perseverence Furthers"

Despite all the people begging you to stop making 'that noise,' despite the doubtful thoughts that you'll never make any meaningful progress ... keep up!

At least our dear dilapidated automobiles will be well serenaded.

Yours in hope,

Chris

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2005-12-20 07:55:19

Andre

sigwada wrote:

my best location for practicing is in the john that s where i experience best the art of letting go and the acoustics is excellent not to mention the privacy

Hi sigwada,

since I´m not a native english speaker, I cannot understand your sentence. Please tell me, what is a "john"?

Andre

#5 2005-12-20 07:57:40

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Andre wrote:

sigwada wrote:

my best location for practicing is in the john that s where i experience best the art of letting go and the acoustics is excellent not to mention the privacy

Hi sigwada,

since I´m not a native english speaker, I cannot understand your sentence. Please tell me, what is a "john"?

Andre

In American slang, it means either "toilet" or "man who visits prostitutes". I can't tell which one he is referring to. Maybe both. This is the guy who was complaining about toxic fumes.........??????

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#6 2005-12-20 08:06:34

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

I carry one around with me when I'm traveling by plane. Due to delays I get in a lot of practice in and around the airports. No one has ever complained except in Deutschland where I was confronted by a neo-Gestapo shouting, "DO NOT BLOW ON THE PIPE!"

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2005-12-20 08:15:54

Andre

Tairaku wrote:

No one has ever complained except in Deutschland where I was confronted by a neo-Gestapo shouting, "DO NOT BLOW ON THE PIPE!"

Hi Tairaku,

I know what you mean!
Something did survive in Deutschland...
...let´s blow it away...
Andre

#8 2005-12-20 22:57:06

nimbus

A good thread.  It makes me smile to think others play in weird places also.  I know none of us are ashamed of our playing.  But I've come to realize that not everybody appreciates shakuhachi.  It's like, not everybody likes to listen to Country and Western music, either.  I never what to make anyone uncomfortable because of my presence or my playing.  On the other hand,  sometimes, I just got to play shakuhachi.  My wife often says, go play shakuhachi, because she knows it makes me a better person to be around, after I'm finished.  I don't play to impress anyone.  Although, sometimes, I think, there's a performer in everyone of us.  Let me know how you feel.

#9 2005-12-21 03:50:38

Yu-Jin

I've heard the story from my teacher about Riley Lee, who was practicing in the hotel room while other person was asleep. How soft can we play? Now if I am in the environment where I don't feel like playing loud, I practice quiet with the same dynamics of the sound...

Board footer