World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-25 13:49:14

Nobody
Website

Variance in Blowing Edge Angles and Shape

Hi, Y'all.
I just bought a used 2.1 ShoFu wooden flute. I asked the seller the following question, and I'm wondering if anyone else can offer insights.

Background: I learned on a "Jon" jinashi with excellent tuning. The blowing edge isn't paper thin like the Kinko I just bought, and the Kinko seems much more demanding and specific in blowing style.

My question: The blowing edge on the wooden one is a super thin one compared to the one I learned on. It takes a very specific and very tight blow to keep it consistently in tune. The slightest change in embouchure sends it flying off out of control. If I blow it like my jinashi, it plays almost like a 2.0 rather than a 2.1, very sharp. Chi becomes "G" instead of "F#". Is the paper thin blowing edge something like an industry standard for modern flutes? The jinashi by Jon has a wide range of blowing options while still retaining a perfect pitch as a "B" flute. It's thicker and it seems to be made for pointing the flute more toward the ground (45 degrees or less). The wooden one seems to want to be more parallell to the ground unless I give it a very deep and super tight blow with an elongated "lip-hole tunnel". Does anyone have any tips for this one?  By the way, I like the "Big Sound" of the wooden flute. It doesn't vibrate like bamboo, but the sound is very big and seems to carry far.

#2 2007-05-25 19:06:10

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Variance in Blowing Edge Angles and Shape

More practice.

Less cowbell.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2007-05-25 20:01:43

amokrun

Nobody wrote:

The jinashi by Jon has a wide range of blowing options while still retaining a perfect pitch as a "B" flute. It's thicker and it seems to be made for pointing the flute more toward the ground (45 degrees or less). The wooden one seems to want to be more parallell to the ground unless I give it a very deep and super tight blow with an elongated "lip-hole tunnel".

I'm a bit confused. If I change the way I blow, say, I tilt my head differently or keep my lips in a different shape, I would expect that the pitch would change. In fact, if there is no change in pitch from doing things like that it would seem that it's completely impossible to meri on the flute. Odds are that I just misunderstood you somewhere. Also, I doubt any shakuhachi works properly if you play it so that it faces straight forward. If I try this on any of my instruments I end up playing flat and if I try to compensate for this in other ways I lose the ability to perform many other techniques. It is certainly fairly easy to play that way because you can basically stuff the blowing edge inside your mouth and thus reduce the distance that the air has to cover.

#4 2007-05-29 13:53:10

Nobody
Website

I know that sounded confusing. The Jinashi requires a looser blow. The wooden Jiari is much more sensitive. I've got the hang of it, now. It's a very nice flute with a very wide range of sound.

#5 2007-05-29 17:10:38

edosan
Edomologist

Knew you'd get it shortly...

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer