Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-05-25 19:04:15

Arjay

Hello from Atlanta, GA

Hey there! I saw someone else was using "RJ," so I went with the phonetic version here. I hope it doesn't offend. If so, I'll get a new name, no worries.

I'm new to the shakuhachi, only having very recently discovered what "that flute! That flute right there!" is called, and since then amassing a grand total of three albums of the music. But my interest is deep enough that I've decided to make my own flute now, or at least try to do so with what resources I have available. I've done a bit of study online, but this site looks like a seriously helpful place to look for good information.

The flute I'm attempting to build right now is of Golden bamboo, which is surprisingly common here in Georgia, though I know it isn't traditional. I harvested what I believe is an ideal piece - rescued, so to speak, from some unknown people who'd been hacking up bits of bamboo from the grove in a nearby park (probably kids, as there was a little bamboo "fort" nearby). It is surprisingly hearty and thick-walled for its kind, of suitable diameter and with a nice crook on the end that I quite like.

Anyhow, the bamboo has been harvested, the roots trimmed-down, aburanuki done and now it's sitting out in the sunshine. When the time comes, down the road, I'll do the really complex part. When that time does come, I hope to know much more about what I'm doing thanks to the people on this site and whatever other resources are out there.

Sorry to ramble on; I'm quite bad about it sometimes. But I'm very happy to be here, with so many respected master players and builders. I look forward to reading even more in these forums, and will try not to ask questions that have already been answered. smile

#2 2007-05-25 19:51:47

dstone
Website

Re: Hello from Atlanta, GA

Welcome, Arjay.  You've come to the right place since the pro makers that are here tend to be very patient and helpful with the rest of us who are bumbling along in our enthusiastic, amateur ways...  smile  And the rest of the time, it's the blind leading the blind, and there's fun there also!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2007-05-25 20:14:49

Arjay

Thanks dstone! I look forward to reading and discussing more here.

By the way, a correction to my introductory post: I typed "Golden bamboo," but that's wrong. What I have is Madake. An embarrassing mistake, as the two look virtually nothing alike. I think my mind was still on a conversation I'd had earlier today. Sorry about that.

#4 2007-05-26 00:32:58

edosan
Edomologist

Welcome ArJay!

Whilst your precious piece of boo is getting good and ready, I encourage you to try your hand with some lesser pieces, as much can be
learned--you may even come up with some decent results--before applying yourself to the nice madake.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2007-05-26 13:05:19

Arjay

Thanks, edosan!

That's sound advice. I do have some scrap bits laying around, and access to more. Maybe I can learn a thing or two with those odds and ends while I wait on the good piece. I'm particularly concerned with the details of the utaguchi and inlay right now, so I'll have to do a lot of practice. smile

#6 2007-05-27 04:19:16

dstone
Website

Arjay wrote:

I'm particularly concerned with the details of the utaguchi and inlay right now, so I'll have to do a lot of practice.

Practice, for sure.  But don't let an inlay slow you down...  You could make a lot of great flutes and never bother with an inlay.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-05-27 07:19:51

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Arjay wrote:

Thanks, edosan!

That's sound advice. I do have some scrap bits laying around, and access to more. Maybe I can learn a thing or two with those odds and ends while I wait on the good piece. I'm particularly concerned with the details of the utaguchi and inlay right now, so I'll have to do a lot of practice. smile

Skip the utuguchi inlay. It is not needed.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#8 2007-05-29 17:07:38

Arjay

Now that I've read more here, I see others agreeing with you, that the inlay is unnecessary. I'll take your advice and focus instead on simply making the mouthpiece correctly. I might have some questions about that too, but I'll save them for later and for the appropriate threads.

Thanks for the advice!

#9 2007-06-12 08:43:58

nomaD43

Hey ALRIGHT!!!
Finally someone else here in ATL that knows what a shakuhachi is. Welcome Arjay (aka RJ). I have been here in Atlanta for the past 7 years and it has been a very lonely place. Where are you living in the area? I'm in Alpharetta.
Thanks to Tairaku, who came to town this weekend for a few days, I have gotten my first lesson in in almost 7 years. I felt so good to finally have 1. someone to play with, and 2. someone who could teach me how to play something that has been long, long forgotten.
Thank you once again Brian.
Damon

Board footer