World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-17 10:57:28

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Otsu?

Does anybody know of honkyoku which use only otsu? I can think of two, Kyorei (of course) and Garyoken Takeshirabe. Are there any other obscure ones?

I ask because Mujitsu made me a gigantic 3.3 which can only play the low octave in tune because the bore dimensions are so huge.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2005-12-22 22:33:16

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Otsu?

Brian...

Looks like the piece Hifumi-no-shirabe is all Otsu. However, I'm not sure about this piece, since I don't have it. I'm reading its' liner notes. Now, I have a version of Choshi that's titled, "Choshi or Shirabe", which confuses me. In these liner notes, it has Chosi and Shirabe as two different songs, albeit both student pieces. I only have the Stan Richardson version, mentioned above.

Is this odd?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2005-12-23 07:11:04

jamesnyman

Re: Otsu?

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Brian...

Looks like the piece Hifumi-no-shirabe is all Otsu. However, I'm not sure about this piece, since I don't have it.

-E

The sheet music for Hifumi-no-Shirabe by Tokuyama Takashi is available from Monty at shakuhachi.com.

It is all in Otsu.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

Board footer