Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-07 07:46:45

Harazda

Flutist from Florida

Greetings to all!  I'm Chris Harazda, and I live on Florida's "Space Coast."  I've been making bamboo flutes since 1969.  In those days of yore, they were always transverse, 'til my brother turned me on to Watazumi in 1973.  That's when the lights came on.  I got my first shakuhachi in 1974 in Amherst, MA at the Guru Puja festival. 

Loving the hotchiku thing, that became my love.  I always sought out the big pieces of bamboo for making big flutes. 

In 1987 I worked with a friend to record the cassette "White Waves," which I call a collection of "flute images."  In 1996, I went into Nevessa Studios in Saugerties, NY and recorded "Illuminated From Within" with Chris Anderson's excellent technical knowhow.  That recording on CD, along with "White Waves," is available from Monty Levenson.

As Peter Phippen echoes on this forum, my thing has always been spontaneous expression based in the moment.  I believe this is not something to be apologetic about.  Paul Horn relates that improvisation is the only path of true creativity.  To me, creativity in the moment is a true gift, and can be considered the true art.  Not to take away from using the traditional notation and working with traditional pieces under expert guidance; that path is secure and strong, and nothing is lacking!  I occasionally work with Taniguchi's big book of traditional pieces.  It's all GOOD!

Anyway... just thought I'd walk in and say hello!

Peace,
Chris Harazda

Last edited by Harazda (2007-06-07 07:56:36)

Board footer