Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Lessons with shakuhachi master Michael Chikuzen Gould

#1 2007-06-19 21:50:07

JeffMartindale
Website

Lessons with shakuhachi master Michael Chikuzen Gould

Hello to all. I just wanted to post a recommendation for lessons with Michael Chikuzen Gould. I started a few years back playing the shakuhachi on my own, listening to recordings, and figuring out techniques by ear. I started lessons with Michael in January and have been hooked. While initially nervous in beginning lessons, Michael quickly put me at ease and was able to start off lessons at a level that matched my playing needs and interests. My technique is significantly better. I look forward to each lesson and my technique develops significantly each time.

I live in Arkansas, so no chance of visiting him personally for each lesson. I currently receive lessons over the web through SKYPE. With a video cam and microphone (a computer is also helpful), we are able to see and hear each other for the lesson. The high notes are a little distorted with the internet but this is the closest thing to being face to face. Michael also hosts camps that allow long-distance students like me the opportunity to study face to face.

Each lesson is around 1.5 hours in length. Michael provides scores for the music through e-mail and sends CD recording of the music that we work on within the lessons. These recordings are a significant help in understanding and perfecting technique. In addition to learning shakuhachi score, Michael provides insight into the history and philosophy behind the music. As a result, I feel more connected to the music that I am learning. Michael is willing to answer all the questions that can arise including how to properly choose a shakuhachi.

A wide variety of music styles and schools of music are discussed and learned. Proper playing technique is also incorporated into each lesson. My initial lesson with Michael included proper holding techniques of the shakuhachi to reduce strain on the wrists as well as increase speed of playing.

I will post a link through the shakuhachi yuu website that explains all the details: http://www.shakuhachiyuu.com/gouldlessons.htm

Again, I highly recommend anyone interested to give lessons a try. I now realize the value in learning the shakuhachi from a master and not attempting to figure the instrument out alone.

All the best, Jeff Martindale

Last edited by JeffMartindale (2007-06-19 22:50:49)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#2 2007-06-20 00:40:56

okshak

Re: Lessons with shakuhachi master Michael Chikuzen Gould

Hi Jeff - I guess you posted while I was writing my post on Michael's lessons - So glad we both found a great teacher.   (I believe I purchased a low D Butch Hall NAF from you several years ago - small world, etc.)  Best wishes from your neighbor in OK. Deb

#3 2007-06-20 08:40:17

JeffMartindale
Website

Hello Deb, terrific to know that you are also taking lessons from Michael. Since you are in Oklahoma, I welcome you (and all others) to the monthly Native American flute circle that is in Tahlequah, OK. It's the third Friday of each month. I will also be playing Native American flute and representing Shakuhachi :+) at the Oklahoma Flute Fest outside of Tahlequah in October. The website to that event is www.okflutefest.com   Butch Hall will actually be at this event too. There is also a link to the flute circle on the site.  Wishing you well with shakuhachi lessons. Great to hear from you, Jeff

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#4 2007-06-20 09:25:14

Larry

I have been taking lessons with Sensei Gould since I started playing shakuhachi about 3.5 years ago.  Michael is an excellent teacher and I would highly recommend him to anyone wanting formal instruction.

#5 2007-06-21 00:59:20

okshak

Jeff,
Thanks for the invite to your flute circle - I have a number of friends who attend. I am active in the Norman circle, which meets the first Friday of the month at Jacobson House (corner of Chautauqua and Boyd). I will be at the OK festival, too - I'll bring my shakuhachi and look for you there.F
Best,
deb

• Index
  •  » Reviews
  •  » Lessons with shakuhachi master Michael Chikuzen Gould

Board footer