Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-20 14:37:08

Ken2t

Miyata Kohachiro

Hi All,

I was wondering. What kind of flute did miyata Kohachiro use? I mean who is the maker of his flutes.

greetings

Tsu Reeee~~~~

#2 2007-06-20 16:29:41

shaman141
Website

Re: Miyata Kohachiro

I would be very interested to know this as well. If my memory serves me correctly his was the first recording of the Shakuhachi I  heard, as I'm sure this is the same for many shakuhachi enthusiasts, and I've always wondered what type of shakuhachi he plays... Ichijo perhaps?

-Sean

Find your voice and express yourself, that's the point.

#3 2007-06-20 17:37:57

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Don't know who made them but I believe he played 7 hole.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-06-21 06:40:21

marek
Website

Hi,

on www.japanshakuhachi.com/bonchiku.html , they say it was Bonchiku Hoshi.

Bye

M

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#5 2007-06-21 19:34:40

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi All,

I was the tour Manager for 2 of NIHON ONGAKU SHUDAN's ( Ensemble Nipponia) tours of the early 70 's, and became quite close with Miyata-Sensei (as well as Mitsuhashi Kifu and Sakata Seizan who were the other Shakuhachi members at the time). For those of you who don't know of this steller orchestra of traditional Shakuhachi instruments, its first incarnation included Yokoyama Katsuya, Minoru Minooka, and Miyata Sensei on Shakuhachi. Koga Masayuki Sensei was also an early member.

Anyway, by finally convincing Miyata-Sensei to teach me his version of ESASHI OIWAKE, I became famiar with his flutes. He had many. Most of the ones he used with the Orchestra were, indeed, 7-Hole, and he taped over two of the holes of some of them. He also told me that he always "carved" some of the Bamboo out of the bottom of his flutes to make the RO sharper. (For those of you not familiar with this look - its kind of "funnel-like".)

Miyata-Sensei is very un-orthodox. The first thing that he said to me when he met me was, "Make up your own HONKYOKU." It took me many years to feel loose enough to give myself permission to do that! And I will always be most appreciative that he worked with me on my breathing. He had many profound , and yet simple things to say on this subject!

Ronnie

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

Board footer