Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-06-28 17:39:21

amokrun

Shakuhachi on Wikipedia.

I visited the shakuhachi article and the subarticles of that one recently. Although it is much better now than I recall when I last saw it, there is still a fair bit of really confusing stuff there and the related articles are very much lacking in useful information.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakuhachi

This article is naturally the most comprehensive one. The more recent one on notation is basically a collection of unexplained terms that most likely say nothing to a person who doesn't already know what is being talked about. The kari article (why it even exists, I don't know) is also very limited and there isn't an article on meri at all which seems rather strange.

Since this forum is full of people who know a fair bit about shakuhachi, I'm curious if we could get a small group together to come up with possible improvements to those articles. Wikipedia is a fairly important source of information for people today, especially on topics that they haven't heard of before. I'm betting that if someone mentions the term shakuhachi in a conversation, the first thing people will do is to hit Wikipedia for information. Having a good and accurate article there should hopefully help people get correct information right from the beginning.

Is anyone on the forums interested in such an idea? I doubt that such a project would take a lot of time. We could discuss some ideas for possible additions and then write them down. Helping out doesn't require any sort of technical knowledge. All that is needed is ideas and some basic research. I'd be willing to actually write the results back to Wikipedia or someone else could do it if there are volunteers.

Drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Board footer