Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-07-17 15:15:21

dstone
Website

Weekly in Vancouver: Come blow long tones with us!

Roundhouse Community Centre.  Usually Wednesday, starting around 7pm, for an hour and a half or more.

Jim Flight has been leading this lately.  Email Jim or myself for latest time or location changes.  Free with a $9 annual community centre membership (also useful for free practice space).  With four or more people, it really turns into some blissful droning.  Bring a 1.8.  The Aikido class downstairs must think we're a bunch of weirdos.  And we are. 

Yours in Ro,
-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-07-17 15:19:47)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#2 2007-07-17 17:57:33

Seth

Re: Weekly in Vancouver: Come blow long tones with us!

Darren-

Let me get this straight : you guys all get together and blow RO for an hour and a half straight?  Just drone and drone and drone?  COOL!!!

Do other people come and meditate while this is going on?

Very very cool.  Particularly as this actually sounds like a fun somewhat interactive community event which is just so not shakuhachi.  Can you give more details about your experience doing this?

#3 2007-07-17 20:02:07

dstone
Website

Seth wrote:

Let me get this straight : you guys all get together and blow RO for an hour and a half straight?  Just drone and drone and drone?  COOL!!!

We start at otsu no ro and step up slowly, with countless long breaths on each fingering.  Two octaves later and you're in a different place.  No talking; just continuous blowing.  Each person's breath plays out whatever duration it has -- they all overlap and wax and wane out of sync with each other.  So it's continuous and very organic.  It's really great.  Al does this one-on-one with us in lessons.  Jim is getting this Vancouver tradition going again and even if there's only 3 or 4 of us blowing, it's fantastic.

Seth, your idea of silent meditators enjoying the product is interesting.  I'm sure this material is very suitable for mindful listening.

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2007-07-17 20:03:33)

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-07-17 20:30:55

Seth

Very interesting.

OK - Calling out to all Shakuhachi New Yorkers: 

Anyone interested in meeting up for a shakuhachi blow out of the kind Darren describes?

Anyone interested?

#5 2007-07-17 22:51:32

Harazda

You know, it can go beyond this... imagine a global Ro-in... all at the same time.  Ro for world peace!

#6 2007-07-27 14:59:07

dstone
Website

Harazda wrote:

You know, it can go beyond this... imagine a global Ro-in... all at the same time.  Ro for world peace!

Absolutely.  Here's a story of Ro overcoming diesel, cement, and razor wire.

Six of us struck out along the waterfront this week, flutes in hand (some with a bagful), for an outdoor session.  The weather was just too beautiful.  Near the floatplane terminal we found as close to an "urban cave" as you could expect.  The overlap of overhead roadways, underground garages, etc...  acoustics were great.  Ambient noise level was, well, urbanly high.  Trains passed by every few minutes, as did security guards and port police.  But no matter, we blew like crazy.  Lots of improvisation.  We were really happy to have Al out for this one. 

We only blew for an hour this time but the ear-to-ear smiling stuck for hours afterwards.  Thanks to Jim, Peter, Al, Gary, and Koji for another summer highlight.  Koji captured some of the moments in photos and audio.  Maybe he'll share...

-Darren.

#7 2007-07-27 15:17:32

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Very cool Darren! Steve Lacy said Watazumi used to go to the rail yards and blow to build up his projection. And of course there's Sonny Rollins (and Lacy) who used to practice on the Williamburg bridge.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

Board footer