World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-21 17:05:53

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Star Spangled Shakuhachi

Outside tradition moment today playing the "Star Spangled Banner" at the Milwaukee Wave (indoor soccer) game for 5000 fans. That is nervewracking because they are all completely silent.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#2 2005-12-21 20:37:24

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Star Spangled Shakuhachi

I can see how that would be a tad nerve-wracking. They probably liked it better than they might have if you had chosen to play it with your Digiredoo, however. wink  I guess you don't do a lot of shows where people are quiet, do you?

Good job, though...how did the crowd seem to "feel" about it? Do you think it turned them on?

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2006-02-14 21:12:51

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Wow, live for 5000?  I'm impressed.  I think that would be nerve wracking.  Is that the record audience for a live (as opposed to televised; I'm sure Riley Lee probably has the record for that one) shakuhachi performance?  And the Star Spangled Banner on shakuhachi...that sounds like it could be difficult....  Can I ask what length flute you used for that?

#4 2006-02-15 18:49:22

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Daniel Ryudo wrote:

Wow, live for 5000?  I'm impressed.  I think that would be nerve wracking.  Is that the record audience for a live (as opposed to televised; I'm sure Riley Lee probably has the record for that one) shakuhachi performance?  And the Star Spangled Banner on shakuhachi...that sounds like it could be difficult....  Can I ask what length flute you used for that?

I used a Yamaguchi Shiro 1.9. It is not a difficult song, all kari notes plus u-san. Playing in front of 5000 is not bad either. But the idea that everybody knows the melody and it will be considered sacrilege if you butcher it......that's the scary part.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-02-21 21:39:19

waryr

Brian-Your post inspired me to try the Banner and 20 minutes later I was able to stumble my way through it! (Without the 5000, thank goodness!)  Thank you Sir. I had already learned it on Hopi/Anasazi flute, but the shakuhachi is by far the richest sound so far.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

Board footer