Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-07-25 11:01:14

jaybeemusic

Why 7 nodes for a shakuhachi....just a thought

I've been trying to wrap my brain around a few things and i kinda had a thought.....

Using Ken's pdf. instructions.....(thank you ken!!!)   I noticed something interesting.....with a 7 node shakuhachi, most of the "pressure points" DON'T happen on the physical nodes of the shakuhachi.  They're sort of "in between"them.   

The only ones that sort of do are the 1/2 point of Re, and the 1/4 point of Ri.  Other than that the nodes are "out of the equation" so to speak.   

If the shakuhachi only had 4 nodes, for example,  and they were more or less equally spaced...they could potentially wreak havok with the tunability of the instrument.

So my question is....am i WAAAAAY off base here or does this concept have any merit?  Sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this thing.....   

Thanks again everyone. Especially you Ken.  I might not have said it enough.  smile

Jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#2 2007-07-25 13:27:40

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Why 7 nodes for a shakuhachi....just a thought

jaybeemusic wrote:

If the shakuhachi only had 4 nodes, for example,  and they were more or less equally spaced...they could potentially wreak havok with the tunability of the instrument.

Jacques,

One feature of jinashi shakuhachi is that a maker has the option of clearing the nodes or using them for spot tuning and tone control. A combination of these options can also be used.

One way to think of the nodes is that regardless of where they are located, they can still influence pitch and tone quality of many notes. Although a node may not fall exactly on the pinnacle of a wavelength, it can still influence the pitch to a lesser degree if it's anywhere near the pinnacle on either side. Since many of the wavelengths for each note overlap, a node located almost anywhere in the bore can be used as an opportunity to adjust pitch of more than one note at a time - in different strengths and sometimes different directions.

A shakuhachi with the usual seven node placement gives a maker a sometimes repeatable game plan. A shakuhachi with different node placement could be perceived as "wreaking havoc" with the tunability of the instrument. Theoretically, I think it could also provide a maker with different opportunities for tuning.

As always, it's important to note that with shakuhachi, there is often a large valley between theory and practice. Although it's very helpful to grasp scientific concepts of the bore, it doesn't always translate smoothly in practice.

Ken

#3 2007-07-25 14:47:58

dstone
Website

With the 7 node ideal in mind, do makers who choose to work with 6 or 8 nodes on occasion have to approach those pieces that much differently?  I'm assuming they sometimes find a piece with less than "ideal" nodes or placement but exceptional in some other way, so they want to see it through to its final shakuhachi form. 

I wonder about this in the context of jiari more, because the 7 node ideal surprises me more in a paste-filled bore scenario than it does in a nodes-and-bore-left-to-see-and-influence jinashi scenario.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2007-07-25 16:46:24

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

dstone wrote:

With the 7 node ideal in mind, do makers who choose to work with 6 or 8 nodes on occasion have to approach those pieces that much differently?  I'm assuming they sometimes find a piece with less than "ideal" nodes or placement but exceptional in some other way, so they want to see it through to its final shakuhachi form. 

I wonder about this in the context of jiari more, because the 7 node ideal surprises me more in a paste-filled bore scenario than it does in a nodes-and-bore-left-to-see-and-influence jinashi scenario.

-Darren.

Hi Darren,

It's been my experience that for completely paste-filled jiari shakuhachi there is little, if any, functional relevance to the location of the nodes. This, of course, pertains to flutes with nodes which are not directly on holes. There are, however, philosophical reasons for the seven node ideal. For the sake of clarity about the mechanics of bore adjustment, these reasons are best addressed in another thread.

For jinashi shakuhachi, six, eight or nine node pieces often require a different approach only if one decides to use them. For example, on an eight or nine node flute, there is often a node at or close to the half-way point of the bore. This node can be very handy for tuning and/or tone control of ro. That's a great way to start working on a flute. One can always start from scratch and grind down all the nodes. Sometimes, the bore needs little adjustment after ginding. Sometimes it needs a lot. What to do? [Scratching head now!]

As always, these are just my observations and experiences.

Ken

#5 2007-07-25 18:03:30

dstone
Website

Mujitsu wrote:

For example, on an eight or nine node flute, there is often a node at or close to the half-way point of the bore. This node can be very handy for tuning and/or tone control of ro. That's a great way to start working on a flute.

Makes sense.  Thanks for the tip!  I'm mostly interested in longer flutes so maybe it's expected that I've seen plenty of 8, 9, and 10 node culms (that are otherwise very nice to my eye and also from an integrity, color, wall thickness, etc. perspective).  When one or two "additional" nodes are in the root rings, I haven't sweated it -- most flutes I've made for myself are 6-10 nodes and one "extra" node is almost always down at the root.  Yeah, I know it's tradition to file off root rings to keep a Tidy Two down there, but for now I say Bah.

Now this question is coming from a similar place... sometimes I'll have a nice culm that I originally planned for a long flute, but fingerhole-node conflicts suggest maybe cutting a section+node off the top is a good option.  i.e. might result in no or less node-hole collisions.   This obviously increases the aspect ratio, but usually in the right direction anyways for what I'm interested in.  Ken, do you find yourself often cutting down a piece to the "next shorter" length after acquiring it or maybe just hanging with it for a while?  I have several harvested or acquired pieces that I didn't launch into right away and after months of looking, holding, measuring, measuring again...  now somtimes whisper "2.8" when they originally shouted "3.5" (for example).  Common experience?  Or beginner's lack-of...?

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#6 2007-07-25 18:11:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

No Darren, that's the right attitude. We recently decided when making Taimu to use the node that would make the shortest reasonable flute which also increased the aspect ratio. We look at what the 7 node flute would be and if it's possible to make that we do. In the past we would have been afraid the second octave wouldn't work but there have been some wonderful and surprising results. It was a breakthrough. Because a 2.3 with that wide bore makes a much more intense sound than the same hunk of bamboo if you attempt to make a 3.0 out of it.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#7 2007-07-25 18:35:32

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

dstone wrote:

Ken, do you find yourself often cutting down a piece to the "next shorter" length after acquiring it or maybe just hanging with it for a while?  I have several harvested or acquired pieces that I didn't launch into right away and after months of looking, holding, measuring, measuring again...  now somtimes whisper "2.8" when they originally shouted "3.5" (for example).  Common experience?  Or beginner's lack-of...?

-Darren.

Exactly Darren!

For me, the wider aspect ratio is where it's at with shakuhachi. Of course there are new challenges that come along with that design, but if it can be pulled off the results can be very dramatic. Turning a "3.5" into a "2.8" is exactly where the Taimu concept is at right now.

Here is a 2.3 that actually was a standard aspect ratio 3.0. The holes were filled then one node was cut from the top. Now it plays with much more raw power. I say chop away!

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/extrawide.jpg

#8 2007-07-25 21:05:49

dstone
Website

Hey now.  It's a beaut.  Nice finish.  The holes found themselves a nice placement, eh?  Nice lines... it's a bit wiggly, like it's in motion.  Nice.

-Darren.

#9 2007-07-25 23:33:05

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

That's a nice flute. I used it a lot on the "Taimu" album. On "Mujitsu Blues", 'Space Coconut', 'Evidence', 'Change Has Come" and "L Dance". This flute has a name, "Choda".

#10 2007-07-25 23:48:11

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

I like Mujitsu blues. Man, good recording too.I was listening today. Where did you recorded & master?

#11 2007-07-25 23:54:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

geni wrote:

I like Mujitsu blues. Man, good recording too.I was listening today. Where did you recorded & master?

Milwaukee, DV Productions. Produced by Mujitsu and David Vartanian.

I enjoyed playing it because it was so wrong with the extra filled holes and the fact it weighs about 750 grams.

#12 2007-07-27 13:38:56

Lorka

I would like to ask a question that stems out of some of what Darren and Brian were talking about.  By making a flute wider and fiddling about with the aspect ratio (an idea i don't fully "get" yet) you can essentially make a smaller flute sound like a longer flute.  So a 2.3 flute could be made to sound as though it were say a 2.8 for example.  Is this correct, or am I missing something fundamental.  I was under the impression that the wide bore size, if taken too far would result in a single octave instrument.  Just a little confused.  It may be a little while in the coming, but I want my next flute to be a big fat wide beast.  I want it to be a chunky wide bore with thick walls, but I also want both octaves.  I have a 2.7 hocchiku (which I am really enjoying getting to know), but I was thinking of my next one being a 2.4, as I find my fingers are more agile on a 2.4.  With the wider aspect ratio being discussed is it possible to make a 2.4 sound like a bigger flute, like a 3.0?  Thanks.

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#13 2007-07-27 13:57:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Lorka wrote:

I would like to ask a question that stems out of some of what Darren and Brian were talking about.  By making a flute wider and fiddling about with the aspect ratio (an idea i don't fully "get" yet) you can essentially make a smaller flute sound like a longer flute.  So a 2.3 flute could be made to sound as though it were say a 2.8 for example.  Is this correct, or am I missing something fundamental.  I was under the impression that the wide bore size, if taken too far would result in a single octave instrument.  Just a little confused.  It may be a little while in the coming, but I want my next flute to be a big fat wide beast.  I want it to be a chunky wide bore with thick walls, but I also want both octaves.  I have a 2.7 hocchiku (which I am really enjoying getting to know), but I was thinking of my next one being a 2.4, as I find my fingers are more agile on a 2.4.  With the wider aspect ratio being discussed is it possible to make a 2.4 sound like a bigger flute, like a 3.0?  Thanks.

Well "sound like" is a pretty nebulous term. A lot of musicians (especially western trained) look at music strictly as a series of pitches. To them "C" on a kazoo and the same "C" on a foghorn serve the same musical purpose. So by that standard, no 2.3 will sound like a 2.8 because it will still be pitched one or one and a half steps higher.

If instead we look at music as "tone" it's a different matter. For me the main aspect of shakuhachi is tone and the rest are details. When you create a very wide bore 2.3 it will have that foghorn tone with a lot of subharmonics and give the impression of a deeper flute than a conventional aspect ratio 2.3 (or actually 2.4).

Regarding second octave you are correct and that's what the whole Taimu concept is based on. Taking the geometry to the limits where it's still possible to make both octaves play in tune. Ken is brilliant at that. You have to stop just before reaching the tipping point.

It must be said that there are a lot of players who don't like this kind of fat, hairy sound and they prefer a thin, focused sound without a lot of subharmonics. In fact that's the norm.

Take a look at www.mujitsu.com and you will see and hear the kind of flutes I am talking about.

#14 2007-07-27 14:11:51

Lorka

Thanks for replying Brian, it helped to clarify some things for me, as I do not have a background in music and I think I got myself confused.  I think I get what you mean by tone though.  The tone is what attracted me to the shakuhachi, as it was unlike any other instrument I had ever heard. 

Fat hiary sound, sounds good to me.  I think that's what I will be looking for later on.  thanks.

matt

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#15 2007-07-27 14:23:26

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Well the best way to find out about these things is to play as many flutes as possible as much as possible and gradually you will start to learn what resonates with your body, mind and spirit and what doesn't. Music is vibrations and we all vibrate at different frequencies. That's why the idea of a "standard" is kind of problematic.

#16 2007-07-27 19:35:56

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

I may just jump in here and tell what I know about the 7 nodes.
It seems that during the Edo period or even before, the 3 nodes within which the 5 holes are usually places were considered the most important for tuning, and therefore the shape of the bore. By looking at the x-rays of more than 100 Edo period flutes Simura Sastosi, one of my advisers at Osaka University of Arts, has taken of Edo period shakuhachi, I see that the 4 chambers that these 3 nodes create are crucial not only for tuning, but also for the tone colour. Because of these chambers, the ji-nashi shakuhachi can create the complex tones.
Before the shakuhachi became a religious tool for the Fuke sect, it had only 3 nodes. The Fuke shakuhachi in some ways kept these 3 nodes being the most important, but then began making the flutes with 7 nodes. I have never come across any explanation about this change, only that it is considered the best... So, one could perhaps guess it to be the relationship between Buddhism and the number 7. However, there are many Edo period shakuhachi with 6~8 nodes or even more if there are many nodes at the bottom.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#17 2007-07-28 11:35:15

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

A 'shakuhachi' with three nodes? I don't get a visualiztion easily. Does anyone know what  these were called?

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#18 2007-07-28 11:48:02

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

chikuzen wrote:

A 'shakuhachi' with three nodes? I don't get a visualiztion easily. Does anyone know what  these were called?

I think the one here on John's page called Miyogiri is an example.

http://zenflute.com/gallery.html

#19 2007-07-29 20:13:02

Moran from Planet X
Website

Tairaku wrote:

This flute has a name, "Choda".

What does "Choda" mean?

Last edited by Chris Moran (2007-07-31 07:07:07)

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#20 2007-07-30 10:14:05

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

I think the one here on John's page called Miyogiri is an example.

Yes, they are called miyogiri, although apparently miyogiri also comes under the category Fuke shakuhachi.
Tukitani Tuneko, an amazing shakuhachi scholar from Japan, writes, that there are 4 types of shakuhachi:
1. Gagaku shakuhachi with 6 holes
2. Tempuku
3. Hitoyogiri
4. Fuke shakuhachi, hereunder miyogiri

That, of course is one scholar's opinion.

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#21 2007-07-31 05:30:37

Karmajampa
Website

More observations......I am using 'black bamboo', phiostichys nigra, for my flutes, until my madake develops, and the node spacings are differerent to madake, in that if I look at seven nodes from the roots, inevitably a finger hole is close to a node, if I cut back to six nodes, the holes are nicely spaced between nodes, but not the ideal where 1 and 2 are between nodes and 3,4 and 5 are between nodes. However if I cut back further to five nodes I can get these hole placements, but I am losing the taper as I cut back and also the second octave clarity.
Another bamboo variety I have used is a Chinese 'Moso' which has more nodes in the lower end than madake.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#22 2007-07-31 11:02:33

Zakarius

I'm planning to have Perry make me another flute... this time a 3.6! But he doesn't have any boo in stock long enough... since I live in Taiwan, I told him I'd go hunting for a shoot myself. Unfortunately, he said there are too many nodes (he guessed it's moso). 15 nodes if you don't count the root rings. I couldn't let it go to waste, though, so I went ahead and crafted it into a 3.6. Note the nice discoloring on the skin (and no, I didn't dig a hole and cover the boo with chicken shit). Too bad some of the notes are out of tune... (Ro is a spot on C#, though.)

http://www.geocities.com/baishaolin/shakuhachi/profilecomposite.jpg

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#23 2007-07-31 15:57:03

dstone
Website

That's a lot of nodes to bash through on the inside! 

3.6 of any bamboo type is an instrument to be revered!  Nice one.

-Darren.

#24 2007-07-31 18:19:04

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Miyogiri comes from the word, "mitsu" which means "three" and "giri" from the verb "kiru" or "kiri'. As does hitoyogiri comes from "hitotsu" or "one".

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#25 2009-03-14 08:27:11

udo.jeromin

On hitoyogiri, the finger holes and the thumb hole are separated by a node.

How is the thumb hole placement for miyogiri - as for hitoyogiri or as for shakuhachi (not visible on John Singer's picture but the proportions suggest it's as for shakuhachi)?

Counting, I gather the utaguchi is not made at a node (similar to hitoyogiri)?

Last edited by udo.jeromin (2009-03-15 14:45:11)

Board footer