Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-09-01 21:57:19

Kabato

Jig design

So the time has finally come, I'm going to devote the left side of my 9'x12' dorm room to a bending jig. I've seen a bunch of pictures and know the basic construction, but I still have a couple of questions. Perry showed a picture of his at one point and said that it would only be good for making the typical root-end curve, but not for straightening out multiple bends along the length of the culm. Since I'll probably have to do that, what sort of jig would be best for both bending the end and other bends along the length? The other question, a simpler one, is what exactly do I buy in a hardware store to use for the metal loop the root-end is placed in? Drawings and pictures would be extremely helpful.

If you say that you do not need to fan yourself because the nature of wind is permanent and you can have wind without fanning, you will understand neither permanence nor the nature of wind. The nature of wind is permanent; because of that, the wind of the buddha's house brings for the gold of the earth and makes fragrant the cream of the long river.

-Eihei Dogen, Genjokoan

#2 2007-09-04 11:48:35

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Jig design

Kabato wrote:

what sort of jig would be best for both bending the end and other bends along the length? The other question, a simpler one, is what exactly do I buy in a hardware store to use for the metal loop the root-end is placed in? Drawings and pictures would be extremely helpful.

Kabato,

If you wish to bend bamboo, there are more than a few ways to do it. Here's one "upside down" method that works for me. First, you'll need to build a strong support box with 2x4's and 2x6's. Then, you'll need only a "U Clamp" (available at any hardware store) and a tire jack. Use a hardwood block (slightly curved to fit the bamboo) at the fulcrum area. Heat the bamboo with a blow torch just off the "bent" node, place it in the jig and slowly jack it up until it bends slightly further than desired. Wrap a damp rag around the heated area and wait ten minutes, or just wait longer without the rag. Repeat for each node that needs bending. Use padding for areas that contact bamboo.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/bendingjig.jpg

#3 2007-09-04 12:18:58

Derek Van Choice
Website

I have never seen an inverted version like that, Ken... I love it!

In my first attempts at building a straightening jig, my main mistakes were not realizing how much force is actually needed, and not wrapping enough towel revolutions around the support brace... I thought 1/4" gasket rubber would be enough, but it began creasing and failing at half the pressure needed.

I have ended up with something very similar to Alcvin Ramos' "jig du jour"... many great pics of one, plus other building photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shakuhachi_bc/page3/

Still, I like the car jack idea... hmmm.

#4 2007-09-04 15:00:11

dstone
Website

Sweet jig.

I want Ken on my side after the bomb drops.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-09-04 21:49:27

edosan
Edomologist

The real beauty of Ken's fixture is the precision with which you can apply force to slightly overbend the bamboo,
and then LEAVE it there for a time, in order to overcome the inherent memory in the shaft.

Just enough, not too much...

...the middle way, in action  smile

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

Board footer