Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-09-19 01:59:08

Hans van Loon
Website

common furniture beetle

Lately I bought a piece of rootend bamboo, and I discovered that there where holes in it from the common furniture beetle, or woodworm, which you can find also sometimes in old furniture. The bamboo species was phyllostachys viridiglaucescens . After making a flute out of it, there was everytime some saw dust on the table, and it appeared that the little animals where still alive. They where mainly in the rootend. The bamboo had dried outside in a shed in Europe I think.
As I never read something about this on the forum, I think it must be rare. I poisoned them, but now I think the flute is not playable for a long time.May be after some time good drying and then oiling it will be clean again. It is a ji-nashi flute 2.4
Anybody experience with this problem ? Or how to make a flute with poison playable again ?

Thanks

Hans

Kyotaku, the ZEN flute with the warm and serene sound

#2 2007-09-19 02:20:50

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: common furniture beetle

This won't help you Hans but if anybody else has this problem the solution is to freeze the flute. My wife is an entomologist and she told me about that. It kills the insects.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2007-09-19 06:51:34

Hans van Loon
Website

Hi Brian,
what doe you mean, does the poison not kill the beetle, as they sell it normally for cleaning furniture as well, and I think it works well
or do you mean that the flute will never be playable again because of the poisoning
I know that the beetles are also killed by long term frost, but I did not dare to do that because I feared the flute would crack then
the saw dust coming out is over for now
I think they are dead

Kyotaku, the ZEN flute with the warm and serene sound

#4 2007-09-19 06:59:27

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

No Hans,

Poison kills the beetle. But you can kill them without using poison by freezing them.

In any case yours are dead. Auguri!

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2007-09-19 11:22:36

Derek Van Choice
Website

Those things... argh... they are veracious eaters!

I built a very nice bansuri last year out of a piece of cane from Japan.  I kept noticing tiny little piles of sawdust near the top, as it rested in a vertically canted fluterack.  I thought it was drywall dust from critters crawling around in the recessed lighting can in the ceiling, above it.  It kept getting worse, until I finally noticed a substantial pile under the exit hole and took a look down the bore... eeek!  There were dozens of 1/16" deep trails throughout the entire length, with visible little boring beetles crawling around.

After reading up on them a bit, it seems they migrate quite fiercely.  After a thorough check of my prized shakuhachi madake culms, and instruments, the bansuri went into an airtight bag to prevent their spreading into the expensive stuff nearby, much less my entire house adornments being 90% bamboo.  Since my own quirky moral issues give me pause on forcefully eliminating any life, however minute (yet, somehow, slow suffocation in an airtight bag seemed okay to me at the time?), I just watched it for awhile.  Every few weeks I would dump out at least a shot glass full of sawduse, bang out 10-15 little beetles, and chuck them into the adjacent groves, far from my bamboo.  I kept hoping I would finally bang out the last one, and be able to fill their channels and get back to playing (the tone had been substantially trashed at this point, by the little jerks).

It was never-ending... more eggs always hatched, more bugs appeared, and when all was said and done, I had dumped out more than a collective 1/2 cup of sawdust and banged out many dozens of them.  I gave the bansuri to a friend with far more lethal values than I, so we'll see what happens there; damage was extensive, inside and out.  I check my own bamboo quite frequently now, as I draw the compassion line quite abruptly when it comes to madake.

Apparently some makers soak their root-ends in motor oil or gasoline prior to building, but I just can't see doing that... seems extreme, and unnecessary, especially if freezing does the trick.  Might be an idea to just slip the bamboo under a neighbor's termite tent, next time one goes up?

Board footer