World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-01 09:33:24

chuck091956
Website

Pitch in Kan Register?

Hello All,

I've been trying to get my pitch more accurate. I use a tuner and in the otsu register I can nail it pretty good. When I hit ro in kan, still not too bad.

I use the Shakuhachi Auto Tuner and a hand held when I'm out, both show kan tsu through chi about %20 to %30 low.

I've been able to raise the pitch a little by blowing harder but tension in the upper lip, angle of the flute.... etc.. have not yet resulted in accurate pitch.

Any training advise on raising the pitch in kan register?

Chuck Peck

Chuck Peck

#2 2007-10-01 10:18:21

marek
Website

Re: Pitch in Kan Register?

Hi Chuck,

Well, one thing I just started practising is changing the pitch by altering the position of the tongue(back n forth - roughly). Having the jaw down and relaxed and the tongue raised. I have been able to alter the pitch by about 0.75 of a tone. I kinda like it because I have more accuracy in my tongue than in my neck.

Cheers,

Marek

Last edited by marek (2007-10-01 10:19:36)

In passionate silence, the sound is what I'm after.

#3 2007-10-01 11:32:20

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Get James Schlefer's book and CD of technical exercises. Play along with the CD and gradually you will start to match the pitch and you'll learn how to play in tune.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-10-01 11:36:21

philthefluter
Website

As Marek said, experiment with the position of the tongue. You can change the position of the tongue by thinking different vowel sounds. Try singing aaa-eee-uuu-eee-ooo. You will notice that the eee sound is the brightest. I know there are different eee sounds based on language. Try eee as in 'bee'.

It is not only the shape of the tongue that changes. You can keep this shape by just thinking eee. It takes many years of practice and tuition to use vowel sounds effectively in your tone. It is a technique used by many wind players to develop tone and resonance.

I'm not sure of it will change the pitch by 20-30 cents. The tuning of some of the high notes on your shakuhachi may need adjustment. Hope this helps.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#5 2007-10-01 16:17:49

edosan
Edomologist

I agree with Tairaku. There's really no mystery here.

Assuming that your flute has accurate intonation in both registers, you just need to work on your embouchure and breath control.

Time in the Woodshed's the ticket.

Schlefer's work book has lots of great exercises in it.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2007-10-01 23:41:37

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

chuck091956 wrote:

Hello All,

I've been trying to get my pitch more accurate. I use a tuner and in the otsu register I can nail it pretty good. When I hit ro in kan, still not too bad.

I use the Shakuhachi Auto Tuner and a hand held when I'm out, both show kan tsu through chi about %20 to %30 low.

I've been able to raise the pitch a little by blowing harder but tension in the upper lip, angle of the flute.... etc.. have not yet resulted in accurate pitch.

Any training advise on raising the pitch in kan register?

Chuck Peck

Hi Chuck,  Have you learned how to Kari yet? Kari is usually described as lifting the chin or blowing at a harder angle across the utaguchi. This raises the pitch. I personally like to blow to one of the top corners of the utaguchi to raise the pitch. It doesn't take a lot of air, just tighter, focused embouchure.

Let us know what happens.

Best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#7 2007-10-02 08:11:53

chuck091956
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

Hi Chuck,  Have you learned how to Kari yet? Kari is usually described as lifting the chin or blowing at a harder angle across the utaguchi. This raises the pitch. I personally like to blow to one of the top corners of the utaguchi to raise the pitch. It doesn't take a lot of air, just tighter, focused embouchure.

Let us know what happens.

Best, Perry

Hello All, thank you for the advice. 

I have learned Kari and try to use it as part of getting the Kan register in tune. I find I have less flexibility in the chin movement in Kan. The sound breaks up much sooner then in the lower register.

I have a couple CDs with instruction and have found playing with then really helped. Also thanks for the aaooeeoo technique.

Bottom line, I guess I just need to keep playing and focus on it.

Chuck Peck

#8 2007-10-02 09:05:13

nyokai
shihan
Website

If you've never taken any individual lessons, it's possible that you're unconsciously doing something that makes it more difficult to get the tones in tune. Sometimes even a few minutes with a teacher can get you on the right track.

#9 2007-10-02 10:01:49

edosan
Edomologist

One other little thing:

There is a tendency for some players, when going into kan, to increase the tension of the mouthpiece against the chin, which will automatically reduce the size of the opening at the utaguchi and cause a consistent drop in pitch.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#10 2007-10-02 11:20:20

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi Chuck,
when you get in the high register try to bend the note (s)
Go Up an down. So, meri-kari in one breath.Put the tuner in front of you. In this way you can hear & see the difference.

G

Board footer