Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Just a basic question about the shakuhachi...

#1 2007-10-07 14:49:34

VirtualReality

Just a basic question about the shakuhachi...

Hello everybody!

I first read about the shakuhachi the day before yesterday. I simply love the sound of the instrument and I would very much like to play it. There is only one thing I would like to know: Since there only is 4 holes, are you only able to play pentatonic scales, or can you play major and minor as well? I don't want to play the shakuhachi if I can't play a lot of different music...

Sorry about the noobyness of the question... I have been trying find the answer by reading at the forum but weird words like "meri", "tsu" and "ro" always disrupt my ability to understand it.

#2 2007-10-07 15:12:08

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Just a basic question about the shakuhachi...

Hi VirtualReality,

There is a thumb hole also so that's 5 holes for the Minor pentatonic scale. The thumb hole plays the octave.

Playing shakuhachi music requires specific embouchure blowing techniques to flatten and sharpen the notes. Meri means to flatten, Kari means to sharpen.  Combining these with fingering techniques such as shading, quarter-holing and half-holing allows the player to play any pitch within 2 to 3 octaves depending upon the flute's construction.  What the player can play melodically is limited only by the player's technical musicianship. The modern shakuhachi can play 2 and 1/2 octaves in pitch well and more if it's a very well made flute. This may sound complex, involved and difficult and it should because playing the shakuhachi well is very difficult.  Although the instrument can play any pitch, most would not consider it a chromatically competent instrument as the notes between the holes are subtle and fragile. This is what makes the shakuhachi a dynamic instrument.

Hope to hear more from you as you discover.

Namaste, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-10-07 18:05:22)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2007-10-07 15:31:54

VirtualReality

Thanks a lot! That was what I hoped for :-) I'm going to buy one asap... My only problem is, that I live in Denmark, and that I don't think I can find a competent teacher anywhere...

#4 2007-10-07 16:29:30

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

VirtualReality wrote:

Thanks a lot! That was what I hoped for :-) I'm going to buy one asap... My only problem is, that I live in Denmark, and that I don't think I can find a competent teacher anywhere...

There are several good teachers in Denmark including our moderator Kiku Day.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Just a basic question about the shakuhachi...

Board footer