Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-13 17:53:09

badoumba

New member from Norway

Hi everybody.

I live in Norway - Stavanger, the oil city! I have a Master Degree in Ethnomusicology and I mainly work on Asian jew's harps. Around 7 years ago, I met Antonio Olias (http://www.shakuhachi-flute.org/) during a jew's harp festival. I didn't know everything before about shakuhachi. He lend me a flute for 2 years and the complete honkyoku score repertory. I took some lessons with Daniel Lifermann ( student of Iwamoto and Fukuda ). I am able now to play some of them quite good ( Tamuke, Azuma jishi, Yugure no kyoku, Sanan are one of my favorite ). As I can't afford to buy an instrument at the moment ( I spend so much money in others for my researches ) I decided 2 years ago to learn how to build it. I play now with my own jiari instruments. They are not perfect but enougth for the level I play!

So I can give advices and tips for building decent shakuhachi and playing techniques of honkyoku.

As an ethnomusicologist, I play many other instruments for which you can of course ask me some tips in private mail out of this forum ( jew's harps - dholak - iranian ney - rawanahatta - kazakh dombra )

Ha det bra!

#2 2007-10-14 07:44:09

philthefluter
Website

Re: New member from Norway

Welcome to the forum. It is great to see the European community of players and makers grow. I am also a maker and ethnomusicologist. Make sure to join the http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Euroshak/ European Shakuhachi discussion group. There will be various shakuhachi events taking place all over Europe next summer. I hope we will get the change to meet and compare notes! Phil from Ireland.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2007-10-15 04:16:21

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Badoumba,

Nice to see another Scandinavian shakuhachi player on the forum!
I spent a few weeks in Stavanger one summer during my teens, so I have very good memory from there...

I am hoping, together with Torsten Olafsson and perhaps Gunnar Jinmei Linder to do some shakuhachi events in Scandinavia some time soon.

As Phil from Ireland wrote, do become a member of the European shakuhachi list. All the events will be published there. And keep an eye with www.shakhachisociety.eu which soon should become the European Shakuhachi Society's website.
Hopefully see you around!

Jeg glæder mig til at høre dig spille!
Ha' det godt!

Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#4 2007-10-15 05:46:54

badoumba

Hi Phil and Kikuday!

Nice to be welcome by great players!!!! I will subscribe very soon to these additional links and really looking forward to meet you on the fjords very soon.

Badoumba

#5 2007-10-15 09:15:27

Josh
PhD
Website

Welcome to the forum Badoumba. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Have gun picking through it all.

Hey Kiku, I think maybe you forgot the "u" in the link you mentioned for the European shakuhachi society, that site seems to be dead.  Maybe
www.shakuhachisociety.eu

Josh

#6 2007-10-16 15:50:22

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Yes indeed, Josh.
You are right, the u is missing. Shakuhachi is a hard word to spell! ! ! ! smile

Kiku x

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

Board footer