Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-10-14 17:51:11

GREG..
Website

san'an

hello to everybody...i am a beginner,i have one question...please somebody can help me to find san'an notation or fingering??i write to you from italy,and here is difficoult to meet someone who can teach me :-( !!!please help me!!!!thank you...gregory

...'Perceive those things which cannot be seen'..."Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Genshin"...

#2 2007-10-14 18:05:10

gmiller

Re: san'an

GREG.. wrote:

find san'an notation or fingering??gregory

www.shakuhachi.com

#3 2007-10-15 00:36:14

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Greg,

I get to Italy 2 or 3 times a year. I'll be there in February. I can give you a few lessons. I don't know if starting with San'an is reasonable however, we usually teach simpler stuff first.

Ciao,

BR

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2007-10-15 03:03:34

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Exactly!

Plus depending on your skills and also personal ability to learn on your own or past experience with a real teacher or not this will give different results. Giving you the notation and leaving you with that only and maybe a couple of different versions to listen to is and will  not really be helpful. Honkyoku is just not comparable to western music in the aspect where you can listen to it and get a score to then try to practice. Honkyoku needs to be trnasmitted, Sure after a while and lots of practice you could be able to learn some pieces on your own but even then this will be your own learned version.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#5 2007-10-15 04:40:37

GREG..
Website

hello!!..thank you for the quick response!!...i know it's better with a real teacher...but it's hard if you don't have,or you can't make reference to a sole teacher,....WOW!!brian tairaku in italy!!do you have a concert or something??(i like so much "blues for aida" that cadence)!!...brian there is a price  for a single lesson??or i can get out of it with a dinner smile  ??thank you however and sorry for my little english...regards..greg

...'Perceive those things which cannot be seen'..."Shinmen Musashi no Kami Fujiwara no Genshin"...

#6 2007-10-15 09:21:05

nyokai
shihan
Website

I'll be in Italy this winter --

where in Italy are you?

#7 2007-10-15 14:32:52

GREG..
Website

hello...i live in milan..

#8 2007-10-17 15:15:38

badoumba

Hi Greg,

You can start - you seem interested by honkyoku repertory :-) - with more simple pieces like Honshirabe. I started with Tamuke which is a little more complex but not so hard to begin. Of course, to master the phrases and the sam of it, it takes years!

You can find a fingering chart at the following link:

http://www.shakuhachisociety.eu/fingeringchart.htm

And you can download instructions as pdf files here:

http://www.bamboo-in.com/shop/honkyoku.htm

I recomend you to find a good record of the song you want to learn ( Iwamoto, Yokoyama...) listen it carefully and try first to understand in which spirit is played honkyoku. It takes time to understand this music and all the subbtle changes of the sound.

You have to work hard now!

Good luck ;-)

Badoumba

#9 2007-10-17 16:04:49

GREG..
Website

hello badoumba ...thank you so much for that new links!!...i have studied alone,for 2 months honshirabe... and i can play it,(not perfectly but i can)...!! i am very interested to learn and play..(i am a beginner in a flutemaking too..)...it's so hard to find san'an notation..but i try...i love that melody!!...sorry if i made mistakes in english... regards greg...

#10 2007-10-17 17:18:27

dstone
Website

GREG.. wrote:

i have studied alone,for 2 months honshirabe... and i can play it,(not perfectly but i can)...!! i am very interested to learn and play..(i am a beginner in a flutemaking too..)

Wow, the bamboo Force is strong in you, Greg.  Cheers!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#11 2007-10-17 18:03:26

GREG..
Website

..hello darren..i know it's an hard and deep way...but i continue to study...for now, with a recorded sample...and maybe one day i can make my strongly desired 2.8,that work well in KAN REGISTER!!!!!...hi guys...

#12 2007-10-17 22:37:26

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

GREG.. wrote:

hello!!..thank you for the quick response!!...i know it's better with a real teacher...but it's hard if you don't have,or you can't make reference to a sole teacher,....WOW!!brian tairaku in italy!!do you have a concert or something??(i like so much "blues for aida" that cadence)!!...brian there is a price  for a single lesson??or i can get out of it with a dinner smile  ??thank you however and sorry for my little english...regards..greg

Ciao Gregorio, Io suono con un gruppo Italiano chiamato "the Zen Circus" di Pisa. Sempre visito Ferrara per che e la mia citta preferita. Faciamo concerti Febbraio e Marzo.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#13 2007-10-18 14:58:37

GREG..
Website

hi brian..tell me the date of the concert in italy when you knows...i want to see one concert....regards..

#14 2007-10-23 08:12:05

GREG..
Website

...please anyone have san'an notation??...thank you...greg

#15 2007-10-23 16:54:01

dstone
Website

GREG.. wrote:

...please anyone have san'an notation??...thank you...greg

Greg, you can get it from http://shakuhachi.com as an individual piece (probably around $10) or in a larger set of Yokoyama's teachings.  Call/email Monty there.  He's super helpful and probably has other books (like the Annals, etc.) that might interest you since it seems you've chosen the crazy/wonderful self-taught path...  smile

Meijiro probably also has it.  Whichever is easier/quicker for mailing to you...

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

Board footer