Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-12-30 02:56:49

Bogert

A question you pros can probably help me out with.

Hello, 
     Well actually I have several questions.  First, I'm planning to go to Japan this coming Fall for building and playing shakuhachi; I will of course need to find someone to work with for about three months.  By next fall I should be able to speak, read and write basic Japanese, I can do some right now and will be studying non-stop until then.  Any ideas on how I can find a sensei? I only know a couple of people in Japan, and none of them have anything to do with the shakuhachi.   
    My second question is about scholarships, grants, or whatever else that could help me get there and not have debt stacked up, I don't have any now and want to keep it that way(debt that is).  I'm very busy with school and my only income is from my paintings, prints and occasional flute sale.  Any that deal with shakuhachi in particular? This trip will be for my last quarter before I graduate. 
     Last question, any tips on middle joint construction?  Any tools that make it easier to get perfect?  I just did one and it turned out pretty good.  I used a small blade and an old gouge for woodblock printing (I got a new set of knives). 
       Thanks for any info you can give me, much appreciated.
                                                                                                                     Chris Bogert

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#2 2005-12-30 09:07:40

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: A question you pros can probably help me out with.

Hi Chris,
The only advice I can give you is to contact everyone you can find in your designated area and introduce yourself. If you are going to Tokyo, you can contact Christopher Blasdel through his website. I studied Kinko with Christopher when I was there.  He may be able to give you lessons and direct you to other shakuhachi activities.  The other is Mejiro Shakuhachi shop. Saori San is a great person and she will help you. Mejiro also has monthly shakuhachi making workshops where not only beginners partake, but more experience makers also show up just to smell the urushi ;-).  In Kyoto, you can try to visit Kitahara San, the maker of Seika brand shakuhachi. Just ask at the Tourist's Desk at the Kyoto Train station where his shop is. However, if you do not speak Japanese, it will be difficult. Basically, you should make use of every email address you can find on the internet that will lead you to a shakuhachi person. You never know who what will happen.

Even if you do not find a maker to work with, one of the very best things you can do to improve your shakuhachi making skills is to study a traditional style of shakuhachi music. Once you have a grasp on the music, you will see very quickly what your flutes need. For example, you can't adjust the part of the bore that responds to the different Ous or Tsu Meris  if you don't know what they are supposed to sound or feel like. Once you are aware of the technical needs required for a type of shakuhachi music, you will figure out how to mechanically craft the flute to do what it needs.

There is no need to worry about language. As a foreigner, you can study with others. None of my teachers there seemed to mind that I was studying with others. There are loads of teachers who will offer you lessons in Tokyo without introductions.

Last question, any tips on middle joint construction?  Any tools that make it easier to get perfect?  I just did one and it turned out pretty good.  I used a small blade and an old gouge for woodblock printing (I got a new set of knives).

Most makers use a reamer. You can get this at Mejiro. I fell in love with the tool deptartment of Tokyu Hands. Check them out.

It's great that you are going to Japan to study shakuhachi. The state of shakuhachi in America can only be lifted to a higher level if more people did this. In the 1970's, Ralph Samuelson, John Neptune, Tom Deaver, Riley Lee and numerous others went to Japan for shakuhachi. Some are still there! Imagine of no one went to India to study Yoga in the 60's. Where would yoga be today (maybe if the Beatles had used the shakuhachi in Sgt Pepper, we'd have shakuhachi classes at every YWCA in America!).

By coincidence, I have my BFA in Printmaking with an emphasis in woodcut. Since you are into Japanese Ukiyo-e, if you visit Kyoto, try to look up Clifton Karhu. He is a Ukiyo-e artist and shakuhachi player/maker (and expat!).  I have an excellent Jinashi 2.4 from him. In Tokyo, there are a few museums with some truely awesome Ukiyo-e.  Not to be missed are the Fireman's Museum, which has beautiful rare prints of tattooed fireman fighting blazes, and the Ukiyo-e Museum in Harajuko.

Feel free to contact me off the forum.

Best of luck, Gambatte,
Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2005-12-30 16:17:05

Bogert

Thanks for the ideas Perry,
         I'll check around with different people to see what I can work out.  I'm not to keen on big cities and Tokyo is  the biggest, but I'll even bear that for the shakuhachi.   I was thinking of going to Kyoto so I'll check out those people you mentioned.
         I'm particularly interested in the shin hanga and sosaku hanga as far as woodblock prints go, although I love ukiyo-e too.  I'll have to check out those museums. Thanks again.
                                                                                                                   Chris Bogert

理趣経百字の偈

#4 2005-12-30 16:19:06

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

If you don't like the city, check with Tom Deaver or Kodama, who live near each other in the countryside.

Tom makes ji ari shakuhachi and Kodama makes nice hocchiku. Depending on which style (or both) you'd like to make maybe they could help you.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2006-01-03 03:02:46

Bogert

Yeah that would be good to be out in the countryside.  Thanks for the ideas.   Also if anyone one else has any more ideas or info on my questions, the more the merrier.

理趣経百字の偈

#6 2006-01-03 14:33:53

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Chirs,

Once you score the interior of each end with your sickle gouge, (top half and bottom half of flute) a rounded chisel works very well for removing material. A small flat chisel can be used for removing material from the outside of the bamboo insert. Careful, patient finish sanding ensures a snug fit.

The illustration below is not exactly to scale but it gives you the basic idea.

Hope this helps.

Ken

http://www.mujitsu.com/images/joint.jpg

#7 2006-01-05 02:44:31

Bogert

Thanks for the picture, that's great.  Thanks for the help.

理趣経百字の偈

Board footer