Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Getting into Kan register: any tips, tricks, explanations?

#1 2006-01-05 17:48:36

kyoreiflutes
Website

Getting into Kan register: any tips, tricks, explanations?

I'm trying to get into Kan register, and I seem to have problems getting it consistently. I'm using the flutes I made (which have been tested by a better player than I), along with my Yuu, and, while I can get up there, it's not consistent, and the sound overall is pretty weak. It's also considerably louder than I'd like to blow.

I know there's some technique to help get you up there, but I can't quite figure it out as yet. I don't think it's blowing harder that'll do it, but none of my lips shapes seem to help much, either. I can get into just about Ki-Re before it breaks down, but it's also too loud. When I do an Keri or Meri it also starts to break down. I'd like to say it's my flutes, but I think that they've got to be better than that, and that it's probably more me, since I'm relatively new at playing. When the notes do come forth correctly, it's nice, but it doesn't last.

Hopefully I'll have a job soon and can afford lessons; in the meantime, and advice would be helpful.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2006-01-05 19:46:35

jeff jones
Website

Re: Getting into Kan register: any tips, tricks, explanations?

Hi, I know this has been mentianed before,but I found James Schlefer's book on Daily Practice Exercises very helpful for getting up to Kan and having it sound more relaxed.There's a section on intervals that helped me quite alot.And I did find the
cd also very helpfull.

Beauty is ugly at rest

#3 2006-01-05 23:14:58

Moran from Planet X
Website

Re: Getting into Kan register: any tips, tricks, explanations?

Also see the thread:  Beginner's interest technique

http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=60

The online video I mention stirred up differing opinions, but it also spurred some interesting discussion.

Nyokai-sensei's remarks are very helpful. He is also offering some online video instruction which should prove useful.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

• Index
  •  » Technique
  •  » Getting into Kan register: any tips, tricks, explanations?

Board footer