Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-01-07 14:14:23

Travis Winegar
Website

Tuner for Shakuhachi

Without having a permenant instructor, I believe the hardest part of learning the Shakuhachi for myself has been understanding (and remembering) fingerings and hearing the proper intonation of the notes I am trying to play.  This has recently been made much easier with the discovery of a Tuner program designed especially for the Shakuhachi.  You can find the tuner (as well as a couple other helpful programs here: http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html
     When set to auto, it will (usually) recognize the note AND the fingering you are trying to play, and provide lots of great info on your intonation and various other things.  It acts just like a handheld tuner, but provides much more relevent information for the Shakuhachi player.

"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw." – Shunryu Suzuki

Shakuhachi Search Engine

#2 2006-01-31 08:43:41

ericv
Website

Re: Tuner for Shakuhachi

I am using this also and it provides a great reference point when I want to check.  I have been warned not to rely on it alone and I think that is good advice.  I also use a mirror so that I can see exactly how I made the note - also good advice from a fellow student!

Shakpens:::Write like you blow  www.shakblog.com

Board footer